Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I would've sworn there was a Horsemen thread but i couldn't find it, so dropping this question here.

Watching footage from June 1987 and the Horsemen cut a number of promos setting up a feud with the Freebirds, including directly pushing a match at the Omni. But I don't see that anything ever came of it. What was the deal here?

There was one six-man tag at an untelevised Omni that was won by the Horsemen and that was the end of it.

Michael Hayes got a brief house show run later that year against Flair but Gordy and Buddy were already gone from JCP so it was more of a "Hayes is the contender of the month" deal than "Freebirds vs Horsemen"

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've said it before, but I really feel like their best option for freshening up the MITB concept is to establish that the briefcase contains an open contract for ANY match - not just championships.

The whole promotion is practically booked on the idea of "dream matches" at this point anyway. Their booking is basically fan-fiction, with very little attention paid to canon or continuity of any kind. Might as well lean into that AND make the MITB premise somewhat interesting again.

It would open the door to guys challenging legends, putting focus on returning acts like Cena or Taker sp that they seemingly mean more, or just sticking with the usual "heel runs in and wins title via banana peel" that they love so much. But at least there would be more avenues & options to explore.

I started in mid 94 (KOTR airing) so I am a bit unsure when the hype started in Germany. AFAIK RTL only had WCW on "Catch Up", Eurosport and Tele 5 had WWF. I have yet to hear anyone say that any European hype had started due to the Eurosport timeslot. The Sunday afternoon fiasco was IIRC around August 1995, maybe it was two Challenge episodes that they aired. Currently I would assume that the Bravo involvement (#1 teen magazine, nothing like the US Bravo network) was a big part of the hype and probably when they went from Tele 5 to RTL 2 in early 1993. The last WWF show in late 1997 was the Survivor Series of that year and. I think it resumed (on RTL 2 again?) with either Survivor Series 1998 or Wrestlemania 1999. I think I remember that they showed an older, yet to be broadcasted PPV before the new PPV. Alas, it did not get anywhere near as over as the previous RTL 2 run. I have accumulated a good number of newsletters and because all the random tiny Euro shows of that era I want to go through them anyways. Robert, do you have some of them still in your possession? In a way it is really weird that almost nothing from back then is in a private collection, I wouldn't know anyone who could still have DF1 airings. I want my drunk New Years Eve WCW marathons. And I think that "the" dj_ddt recorded the Pittsburgh PWX, so if we are ever so lucky and he emerges from the shadows who knows what he could give into circulation. Hopefully I didn't traumatize you writing his name ;)

- Sorry, you are right, the Sunday afternoon thing was in summer of 95 (because I remember them airing some Goldust vignettes). Was it still Challenge at that point though? I thought they had switched to Action Zone (in addition to Superstars) at that point.

- The last show on DSF before the hiatus was, I think, the Raw after Royal Rumble 98 (the Rumble itself was the first big-5 show for a long time not being aired on free TV). The return show was a one hour clipshow of Wrestlemania XIV plus the full version of Survivor Series 98.

- What do you mean me about what I still have? Newsletters? Sorry, no, I never got any of them. If you are talking about old tapes, I suppose I have some VHS tapes with German WWF PPV (big 5 only) versions from 94 to 97, though not complete. The WCW stuff I always taped over. I have not the slightest clue in what condition these tapes are either. Regarding DF1 exclusive stuff: XWT seems to have three WCW Germany shows, so at least Alex Wright vs. Tom Gerhardt (fighting over a stolen exhaust pipe) and Axel Schulz counting a pinfall for a Scorpion Deathlock will live forever.

I would've sworn there was a Horsemen thread but i couldn't find it, so dropping this question here.

Watching footage from June 1987 and the Horsemen cut a number of promos setting up a feud with the Freebirds, including directly pushing a match at the Omni. But I don't see that anything ever came of it. What was the deal here?

There was one six-man tag at an untelevised Omni that was won by the Horsemen and that was the end of it.

Michael Hayes got a brief house show run later that year against Flair but Gordy and Buddy were already gone from JCP so it was more of a "Hayes is the contender of the month" deal than "Freebirds vs Horsemen"

Thanks. I'm guessing they planned for more than a lone six man tag given there were multiple TV promos dedicated to it, but also not surprise that things with the Birds didn't work out at the time.

I started in mid 94 (KOTR airing) so I am a bit unsure when the hype started in Germany. AFAIK RTL only had WCW on "Catch Up", Eurosport and Tele 5 had WWF. I have yet to hear anyone say that any European hype had started due to the Eurosport timeslot. The Sunday afternoon fiasco was IIRC around August 1995, maybe it was two Challenge episodes that they aired. Currently I would assume that the Bravo involvement (#1 teen magazine, nothing like the US Bravo network) was a big part of the hype and probably when they went from Tele 5 to RTL 2 in early 1993. The last WWF show in late 1997 was the Survivor Series of that year and. I think it resumed (on RTL 2 again?) with either Survivor Series 1998 or Wrestlemania 1999. I think I remember that they showed an older, yet to be broadcasted PPV before the new PPV. Alas, it did not get anywhere near as over as the previous RTL 2 run. I have accumulated a good number of newsletters and because all the random tiny Euro shows of that era I want to go through them anyways. Robert, do you have some of them still in your possession? In a way it is really weird that almost nothing from back then is in a private collection, I wouldn't know anyone who could still have DF1 airings. I want my drunk New Years Eve WCW marathons. And I think that "the" dj_ddt recorded the Pittsburgh PWX, so if we are ever so lucky and he emerges from the shadows who knows what he could give into circulation. Hopefully I didn't traumatize you writing his name ;)

- Sorry, you are right, the Sunday afternoon thing was in summer of 95 (because I remember them airing some Goldust vignettes). Was it still Challenge at that point though? I thought they had switched to Action Zone (in addition to Superstars) at that point.

- The last show on DSF before the hiatus was, I think, the Raw after Royal Rumble 98 (the Rumble itself was the first big-5 show for a long time not being aired on free TV). The return show was a one hour clipshow of Wrestlemania XIV plus the full version of Survivor Series 98.

- What do you mean me about what I still have? Newsletters? Sorry, no, I never got any of them. If you are talking about old tapes, I suppose I have some VHS tapes with German WWF PPV (big 5 only) versions from 94 to 97, though not complete. The WCW stuff I always taped over. I have not the slightest clue in what condition these tapes are either. Regarding DF1 exclusive stuff: XWT seems to have three WCW Germany shows, so at least Alex Wright vs. Tom Gerhardt (fighting over a stolen exhaust pipe) and Axel Schulz counting a pinfall for a Scorpion Deathlock will live forever.

I can vaguly remember a mate telling me they had old wwf on RTL in 1991 so when I tuned in I noticed Savage/Gang from SNME and several other matches from that show but they inserted a Bulldogs/Demo house show match.

Thanks. I'm guessing they planned for more than a lone six man tag given there were multiple TV promos dedicated to it, but also not surprise that things with the Birds didn't work out at the time.

To add to this, Hayes quit before the Flair feud could start. Which is what got Sting his chance to feud with Flair.

IWA Mid South is running their Strong Style tourney just up the road from me in a couple of weeks. Matt Riddle and Eddie Kingston have been announced among some other dudes Ive kind of heard of. Im thinking I need to go just on the possibility of a Riddle/Kingston match.

I feel like Bagwell would be a much bigger star if he came around now as opposed to when he did. He's a good looking guy with a lot of charisma, and there were periods in 1998 and 1999 where I would've bought him as a breakout face. Damn shame he plateaued so quickly, though, and picked up a lot of lousy habits.

As over as he was, I always felt like he was horribly miscast as a face. Maybe it could work for him in the short-term, but I don't believe it was a winning formula for any sort of long-term success. Just my two cents on the matter.

One thing I always dug about his heel shtick was the way he'd play up to the camera. It was an overdone tactic in '97 and '98 WCW though, so it was kind of just an everyday occurrence. But he had a certain spark & charm to his showboating. I realize it's frowned upon to play to the crowds or the cameras too much today - and it was certainly a diluted trick in Buff's heyday - but it's something I feel would help a heel stand out in today's landscape.

I really enjoyed Vicious and Delicious as a tag team. More than I ever liked Steiner and Bagwell together. I think he surprises me sometimes because he got so bad at points after the neck injury.

Vicious & Delicious is also one of my absolute favorite tag team names ever.

Bagwell in 97 was really good and seemed to be getting pushed more until the Luger feud which did nothing for him even though he won most of the matches.

Buff in the TV Title scene in 98 with Benoit/Finlay/Martel/Booker would have been fun stuff.

WCWSN once teased a Giant/Rey vs. Norton/Buff match which would have been fun.

I feel like Bagwell would be a much bigger star if he came around now as opposed to when he did. He's a good looking guy with a lot of charisma, and there were periods in 1998 and 1999 where I would've bought him as a breakout face. Damn shame he plateaued so quickly, though, and picked up a lot of lousy habits.

What was so wrong with his match on Raw with Booker?