Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Starting with 1999 might be a terrible idea, then. While the week to week was incredible at the time, all the shortcomings (including the delegation of women to T&A) are front and center rewatching it.

What's she into film-wise? Books? TV?

Loves games like mortal kombat and stuff. Got 5 or so minutes to impress her with wrestling for the first time so need something good. I'm just guessing picking something with austin would be a good idea as he was super over with the crowd be it a part of a match or a angle.

An angle would need too much context. 99 is a terrible time too, because it's trash and it will turn anyone off.

Plus, you'd probably want something relatively current or what are they going to do, watch old tapes as a newcomer?

Do something like Brock-Cena from Extreme Rules or something along those lines.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting with 1999 might be a terrible idea, then. While the week to week was incredible at the time, all the shortcomings (including the delegation of women to T&A) are front and center rewatching it.

Loves games like mortal kombat and stuff. Got 5 or so minutes to impress her with wrestling for the first time so need something good. I'm just guessing picking something with austin would be a good idea as he was super over with the crowd be it a part of a match or a angle.

If she loves over the top violence (like MK), maybe go with the Undertaker vs Mankind HIAC match.

If she likes Mortal Kombat then go with a wushu-like spotfest, like any of the Ki/Red matches. Or show her some Hayabusa, maybe even a highlight reel or tribute video of some sort. Diving right into angles isn't going to give the best taste as they do require context (as Grimmas said), and it's the same for the big matches.

I have a friend who stopped watching around the Invasion arc, and he was willing to give wrestling another chance after I showed him some CZW clips.

An angle would need too much context. 99 is a terrible time too, because it's trash and it will turn anyone off.

Plus, you'd probably want something relatively current or what are they going to do, watch old tapes as a newcomer?

Do something like Brock-Cena from Extreme Rules or something along those lines.

Not sure why starting with current I mean it's just a one off to show what American wrestling is like. Just to introduce her to the wrestling world and cena/brock seems a terrible match but wanna show her the good stuff I'm sure a segment from a old show would work if u explain who the characters are.

If she loves over the top violence (like MK), maybe go with the Undertaker vs Mankind HIAC match.

Can't believe how I forgot that match and seen it tons of times.

Doctor, just so you know, my wife hates wrestling. I'd imagine most posters here don't have significant others that share a passion for wrestling.

Try not to let this be that important to your relationship.

Absolutely, wrestling should not ever be any point of contention in your personal relationships. My significant other isn't a fan and I don't try to change that, I respect that others I have in my life aren't gonna dig wrestling.

Doctor, just so you know, my wife hates wrestling. I'd imagine most posters here don't have significant others that share a passion for wrestling.

Absolutely, wrestling should not ever be any point of contention in your personal relationships. My significant other isn't a fan and I don't try to change that, I respect that others I have in my life aren't gonna dig wrestling.

Amen to that. I wish some of my friends were into it, but what can you do. I'm just happy the wife is cool with me watching as much as I do -- some spouses would complain about someone spending a fraction of the time watching that I do, so its a damn good thing we're comfortable doing our own thing at times :)

Amen to that. I wish some of my friends were into it, but what can you do. I'm just happy the wife is cool with me watching as much as I do -- some spouses would complain about someone spending a fraction of the time watching that I do, so its a damn good thing we're comfortable doing our own thing at times :)

I had friends watching with me for a while at university in the late 90s, but it's been a solitary pursuit after they dropped off. I agree about needing to do your own thing too - to each their own, but I've never understood couples that seem inseparable.

I think this was covered before but why was the WWF so popular in the U.K. in the early 90s when business was dying domestically? I still see a lot of U.K. fans online say that was the golden age of their fandom

I think because it was so new and so different from World of Sport and the Big Daddy stuff.

You really think Austin spraying people with a beer truck is a way to show someone wrestling? Somehow that is better than a vicious brawl (for someone who likes Mortal Kombat)?

Well the Beer truck was voted greatest ever Raw moment, but I get what you mean I mean Austin had loads of stuff like monster truck, Zamboni, Cement Truck etc. I just feel 5 mins is long enough for her to see if she likes it, a 20 min match could turn her off it and she probably wouldn't sit through it but I think a HIAC match might work.

She loves fighting games like Tekken, SF & MK but TV/Films she prefers romance.

I think this was covered before but why was the WWF so popular in the U.K. in the early 90s when business was dying domestically? I still see a lot of U.K. fans online say that was the golden age of their fandom

For me the golden age was 1989 - 1992 but because 1989 was the year I got Sky and saw WWF regulary. I remember the odd WWF show on World of Sport but 89 was when I saw it properly so liked the Hogan/Savage feud and there was alot of colourful characters like Warrior, Jake, Beefcake, Koko, Hillbilly, Bushwhackers, Rooster.

The pinacle for me was Hogan/Warrior at mania.

Question regarding Ali. How many of those boxer vs. wrestler matches did he have? I found a couple on Youtube.

In the lead up to the Inoki match, Ali had two in the AWA from the Chicago Amphitheater, taped the same day I believe. I'm assuming those are the ones on YouTube you found