Pro Wrestling Only

NXT TakeOver Toronto/WWE Survivor Series Weekend

Grimmas

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesnar the imbeatable monster squashed with three moves by a 50 year old guy who hasn't worked in 13 years is completely idiotic.

More idiotic than a really simple story (Lesnar totally underestimating Goldberg and paying for it) executed to perfection completely going over your head?

You're almost willfully ignoring the broader context of a company that continues to undermine itself by treating the Monday Night Wars as the specialest time in the history of specialness.

Not to mention they booked what was basically a one-match show and then didn't deliver the match.

If it worked for you, great. To me, it felt like another example of this company treating its customers with utter contempt.

I wasn't interested in this at all and didn't bother to tune in. Sounds like I probably made a good decision.

It was probably the best PPV this year, actually. It was a 2016 version of the 1988-1990 SS, which is wonderful.

Lesnar the imbeatable monster squashed with three moves by a 50 year old guy who hasn't worked in 13 years is completely idiotic.

More idiotic than a really simple story (Lesnar totally underestimating Goldberg and paying for it) executed to perfection completely going over your head?

You're almost willfully ignoring the broader context of a company that continues to undermine itself by treating the Monday Night Wars as the specialest time in the history of specialness.

Not to mention they booked what was basically a one-match show and then didn't deliver the match.

If it worked for you, great. To me, it felt like another example of this company treating its customers with utter contempt.

Yeah, those fans in the building were just so upset :rolleyes:

They did deliver the match. Goldberg won, btw.

Delivering a very memorable moment that put smiles on faces, got people talking, captured the imagination of people, gave some kids a new hero, got some ex-fans invested again for however long. Ah yes, nothing says utter contempt like that.

Yes, the stature difference between our part-timers and our full-timers is an issue. This doesn't make that gap bigger in my opinion, in fact it goes some way toward bridging that gap. Brock, the one with more longevity of the two, has finally shown a vulnerable side.

I thought the finish of Lesnar vs Goldberg was hilariously brilliant. The fact that Goldberg got the Lesnar rub is hilarious and the hardest I laughed in a long time. The brilliance of this move is that it makes Brock a human instead of this unbeatable monster, I don't think it would have had the same effect if it was Joe or Nakamura because the aura of Goldberg. Sometimes you have to sit back and enjoy where it is going. I think us being in the bubble we are in, we want to criticize everything WWE does. Does this have a long term gain? No, but WWE doesn't think long term anymore so I think it is a move they can get away with. The crowds have been hot for Goldberg and they went in the right direction because they want to ride this wave out and I don't blame them.

My time to watch wrestling is limited with life getting in the way. For me to find the time to watch last night and force my family to watch with me really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Would it have been to much to ask to at least have Goldberg and Lesnar to go back and forth for 10 minutes? I know quick fights can happen in boxing or MMA, but I don't expect it in wrestling. I'm old and modern wrestling really isn't for me, so when something peaks my interest it's a rarity and to have all that build up for a squash really ticked me off.

Lesnar's 'aura' of danger and wrecking machine was not hurt by the way the match went. The way it played out is a cocky, arrogant Lesnar went in dismissing his opponent, got surprised and taken out quickly by Goldberg's best shots. If the match had been of a notably longer length with him getting dominated then you could say his aura takes a hit. But as it played out, it's much easier to frame it as Brock not taking his opponent seriously and it coming back to bite him in the ass in embarrassing fashion. Now, because he is dangerous, the intrigue is seeing how Lesnar reacts to being embarrassed.

I was watching the last two matches on demand today after tapping out during the live show, and I noticed how little time was left for the main event, especially with all the video packages, entrances, post-match, etc. At that point, I got to thinking about what did I want to see from the main event, and I just figured "You know, squash matches got Goldberg over, so wouldn't it be hilarious if he squashed Brock", AND THEN HE DID!

I loved it, but I think it also helps that WWE have drummed all my genuine passion for their product out of me over the last couple of years, because for anyone who wants to complain that Brock could have given the rub to someone, and I don't disagree with that sentiment, what really is a "rub" in WWE terms these days? It's Kevin Owens beating John Cena, then losing to him a couple of times and slotting into the same spot he would have been in regardless of that feud. So I don't care. You could have put Braun over him, Cass, Cesaro, Rusev or anyone, but unless you treat THEM as special afterwards, and with all their TV time and 50/50 booking philosophies you know they wont, it doesn't matter. At least Goldberg is special.

I thought the finish of the main event was intriguing. I guess I'll have to see how it all plays out before I completely judge how I feel about it. It definitely got people talking. I saw many friends posting about it on social media that don't normally post about wrestling. Personally, at this point, I do think Nakamura has that aura mentioned above, and I think if someone like him (or Joe) had been the one to finally beat Lesnar (and in 90 seconds at that), that it probably would end up being more beneficial to the company in the long run. Hopefully, this is the end of Shane in the ring. He really felt out of place last night, and seemed like a danger to everyone. Watching him deliver those punches to Braun was pretty funny. Personally, I really enjoyed TakeOver, and definitely felt that it was the better show by far.

Maybe because you'd probably be an asshole to say anything about it beyond "that's great father and son got to share that moment with the world".

How about "that kid is going to ask his Dad in 10 years why he didn't tell him to keep his shirt on"? (That was my wife's comment.)

Say I paid $150 for a Springsteen ticket and Bruce came out, played "Born to Run," then ordered the E Street Band to destroy its instruments and walk off stage.

Would that create a "moment?" I suppose.

Would it prompt some discussion of his motivations? Yeah.

Would it create any real sense of satisfaction? No, and WWE falls awfully short on delivering real satisfaction these days. That's how I look at it. Obviously, based on this thread, others see it very differently. And that's fine.

Say I paid $150 for a Springsteen ticket and Bruce came out, played "Born to Run," then ordered the E Street Band to destroy its instruments and walk off stage.

Would it create any real sense of satisfaction? No, and WWE falls awfully short on delivering real satisfaction these days. That's how I look at it. Obviously, based on this thread, others see it very differently. And that's fine.

Agreed, but concerts are different.

I think the thing forgotten, and why a lot of people were happy is that this match was a Goldberg match.

Goldberg squashing Brock was him doing Born in the USA. If Goldberg and Brock did a 20 minute suplex heavy match, that would be more like a concert where Bruce played Backstreet Boys songs.

Agreed, but concerts are different.

I think the thing forgotten, and why a lot of people were happy is that this match was a Goldberg match.

Goldberg squashing Brock was him doing Born in the USA. If Goldberg and Brock did a 20 minute suplex heavy match, that would be more like a concert where Bruce played Backstreet Boys songs.

Yeah, I guess part of it is that I was never a Goldberg mark, though I always liked him fine.

Totally agree that they had no business doing a 20-minute epic. What I thought they might do after he hit the first two spears was their version of Hulk-Andre, and I would have enjoyed that more.

Lots of controversy surrounding the finish of the Main Event. I made a comment in this thread very early on Saturday before the event , and I commented on how it would be in the best Interest for the WWE to beat Lesner here and have Goldburg do it in a strong way , I think people might have to get used to this because Lesner is going to be loosing more in the future. Think about it , Lesner is NOT coming back after his contract expires and it would only make sense to use him to propel other guys and other stories. Ask yourself this question? Why would they continue keeping Lesner strong when he's just going to leave and then shit all over his time In the WWE? Why allow this bastard to do this? His character and personality sucks! What? you guys just want him to stand and bounce around all day? Come on now. It was not working! So yes , beat the fuck , over and over again until he leaves. I was all for this booking , and honestly it's the smartest piece of business this company has done in the past 2 years. Good for WWE here!

It definitely feels like there's a big divide between people who were Goldberg marks and had a big moment last night, and those who aren't, who are kind of shrugging at this. (I'm in the latter group.)

It was probably better than trying to do a real match. It was certainly interesting. I'm not sure it leads anywhere particularly interesting, but that's true of a lot of WWE main events with part-timers.

I do think there's value overall in WWE booking matches in a more aggressively weird way. It opens possibilities in different ways to advance stories, and that's always a good thing.

and yet people went nuts when Mike Tyson did that shit

You mean quick knockouts? That's a bad comparison, because people inherently understand that a real sporting event doesn't have a controlled ending. And in fact, fans wanted to see Tyson destroy his opponents in short order. That was his brand. If you're suggesting that's what we generally look for from wrestling main events, that's nonsense.

You mean quick knockouts? That's a bad comparison, because people inherently understand that a real sporting event doesn't have a controlled ending. And in fact, fans wanted to see Tyson destroy his opponents in short order. That was his brand. If you're suggesting that's what we generally look for from wrestling main events, that's nonsense.

That's what we look for in Goldberg matches though.

I have no issue at all with the match outcome, none.

Having sat through the original Goldberg run as it happened, I'm a big fan of the man. I've defended him plenty of times here and spoken about some of the great matches and angles he has had. The man is believable and in terms of the TV persona: he was the unstoppable monster. Brock Lesnar was designed in many ways (2002) to be their answer to Brock - the man received Goldberg chants for quite a while.

On TV they will probably play up the fact Brock hesitated to go on the offense once he had him in the corner.

I found the outcome to be dynamic, fun, shocking and it now opens many other doors. The one thing I have issue with: why did his lad go topless!? In the spirit of Ultimate Warrior wearing the baseball cap on Raw that one time: it just makes you stop and go, huh? :lol:

I went to NXT and I'm going to Raw tonight. And Saturday night reminded me why I hate going to wrestling shows. The crowd is so fucking annoying. On TV did they pick up the "fix the apron" chant during one of the matches during Takeover? I mean...WTF? How disrespectful is that to whoever is in the ring?? Seriously...every time I go to a live event I walk away kind of embarrassed about being a fan. And I'm going back for more tonight lol.

That's what we look for in Goldberg matches though.

Not really from Goldberg main events on big shows though.

Fair enough.

All I can tell you is that the arena popped huge. People were either super happy or in complete shock. Heck, I even gave Musgrave a big hug out of joy.

It worked there, sure there were some pissed people, but that was by far the minority.

Fair enough.

All I can tell you is that the arena popped huge. People were either super happy or in complete shock. Heck, I even gave Musgrave a big hug out of joy.

It worked there, sure there were some pissed people, but that was by far the minority.

Absolutely, I seem to be in the minority on this one.