Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2017

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cena vs. Styles

There is never a time I won't love these two doing their thing. I was concerned early as they basically went right into the big, non-finisher moves, but once it slowed down and they started selling this was great. Plus they didn't run too long with the finishers (at least compared with what they usually do). Love the AA & Styles Clash kickouts, loved the exection on the big stuff down the stretch, and loved how it was a super clean finish. A real highlight were Cena's lariats, which were built up and sold so well, featured terrific bumps from Styles and given time to really matter. Plus this absolutely makes the Rumble that much more of an open question. Loving this show.

****1/4

Styles-Cena: As always, to hell with any time the champ enters first. Surprised by how much more amped this bar crowd is for this than Owens-Reigns. Styles' entrance was their biggest pop of the night, Cena the biggest overall reaction (mostly boos and singing along to "John Cena Sucks"). Really good exchange of power moves and near falls in the modern Center tradition. The Calf Crusher into the STFU suggest why these two are cut from the same cloth. Crowd was uproarious for the Crossface. Loved the Figure 4 tribute: really cool, smart moment. The closeup shot of Cena's eyes launched a thousand GIFs. Crowd was split about 50/50 on the finish but went ape in the final moments. Very cool match, even if I'm worried about the title changing two weeks from now. Consider AJ's year, from entering the Rumble last year to now.