Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: New Orleans

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a reactionary I can't support the look-at-us chanting of modern crowds, but "you deserve it" after Johnny powerbombed Ciampa on the concrete earns my grudging respect.

OTOH, as soon as I type that some (not all) start to chant for tables.

I swear, NXT Takeover delivers every time. It's like what pro-wrestling used to be and should be. It still is! Why can't they do that with the main roster stuff?

I couldn't agree with you more. Over the past year I so, I found myself wondering if I had finally either permanently fallen out of love with Pro Wrestling, or "outgrown" it. This show just brought me right back to when I loved wrestling, and reminded me of when it was great.

That match was everything WWE always wanted with the concept of being "cinematic" just with all of the other shit you and I want out of wrestling too. It's what Michaels hunted for year after year with his big Mania matches but never had the emotional chops to pull off. Everything he was going for in those Taker matches, but actually hit instead of just attempted, and then on top of that, it was full of hate and callbacks and worlds within worlds.

There might be better matches, but is there really a better match possible that goes for exactly what WWE wants out of wrestling?

My thoughts:

- Nice opener. I've gotten tired of multi-man ladder matches, but this one had plenty of good creative spots. I had a feeling Adam Cole would win, and he did. I haven't been a fan of "Bay Bay" so far, but this is the best he's looked.

- Someone earlier in the thread asked why everyone hates Ember Moon. It's because there's nothing genuine about her. Everything screams "I'm playing a character." Without the eyes, hair, and outfit, she'd be Michaela from the Viola Davis TV show How to Get Away with Murder. On the flipside, Shayna is completely believable in her role. Anyway, the match itself was decent and the right person won.

- The Dusty Finals came down to the finish, and wow, I did not see that Roddy Strong heel turn coming. This and Ciampa feel like the first heel turns we've seen in years. It really has become a lost art.

- Almas vs. Black started off slow but was very good by the end. I didn't realize they wrestled one year ago at TakeOver in Black's debut. It's incredible how far Almas has come since then. I was rooting for him to win, but Black will be a good champ and this will hopefully lead to Almas and Vega being called up to the main roster.

- "HOLY SHIT!" "THIS IS AWESOME!" and "YOU DESERVE IT!" to the main event. I loathe those smark indy-riffic bingo hall phrases, but they all apply here. I thought the 10-minute brawl between them at the CWC was intense, but that was a stroll on the beach compared to what we got tonight. It was amazing to see Ciampa get actual heel heat - something I thought was no longer possible. In many ways, this match felt like something to be endured - and I mean that in a good way. What a brutal war they had, and the ultimate babyface won - as he should have. All is right in the world tonight. "JOHNNY WRESTLING! JOHNNY WRESTLING! JOHNNY WRESTLING!"