Pro Wrestling Only

WWE looking in to Randy Orton allegations

sek69

Well, I wasn't talking about AJ .But there ya go.  There's a lot to choose from. Shit, I still see folks trying to shoehorn Benoit into praise situations based on work rate even though it's still completely inappropriate.

And I get it. I still enjoy Jimmy Snuka matches, and I know he murdered that woman. It's tough separating performances from entertainers who are flawed at best, and how that makes you feel about said performer. Especially in wrestling, where even though we all know it's just acting, we still believe a little. 

Again, people STILL hate Shawn Micheals, a man they've never met, for how he behaved on screen and back stage 23 years ago. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, there's lots of great people in wrestling. It's just like any other industry. And I think as time goes on, we're going to see more and more performers who aren't dumb and racist . More people want to be wrestlers now because they love it and want to perform in front of crowds as entertainers than ever before. The entertainment  community tends to skew more liberal, and wrestlers have always had the philosophy of "make money" first and foremost, putting aside any dumb hateful feelings they had about others. 

I think that's another benefit of the Performance Center. They teach these folks how to be professional in a publicly traded company. And you get to see what happens when you can't be taught. That's why Big Cazz is coming to a high school gym near you. And that's why they're "investigating " this Orton story. They have to address it.

I don't think we should assume that all industries are created equal.

For example, I think it's been made pretty clear that the vast majority of college football coaches (and maybe football coaches in general) are complete pricks. I say this as a fan of the sport, but most of the coaches are utterly contemptible people overseeing toxic cultures to a degree not seen in most other job demographics. Probably moreso than in wrestling, but the possibility remains that wrestling may just attract more assholes amongst its rank and file than other lines of work.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

But how much of this outrage is also based on certain fans just hating Orton based on his character and ring work? There's far more beloved workers who get a pass on their behavior in this fucked up business. 

Orton's Twitter Likes often get commented upon for being very Christian Conservative and/or Alt Right. Optics wise that won't curry favour with a lot of people. 

8 hours ago, rovert said:

You've done this schtick twice now:

Can you please knock it off it off as it isn't funny and doesn't contribute to the discussion.

Wrestlers and Wrestling people interact with me and other fans on social media. Lots follow the ProWrestlingOnly Twitter for example. Some more than others but isn't uncommon and nothing to get passive aggressive or upset about. Join the rest of us in 2018, Herodes. 

Get the fuck outta here with your showbiz kitten shit, pwo doesn’t need a performance center scheme gene teasing catty gossip from female wrestlers.

You're more boring and predictable than a Randy Orton match too. I mean, really ? That's the best you can come up with when confronted about the fact most of your contribution (lately at least, but it's not like you ever actively took part in anything) has been insults and trolling toward people you disagree with ? 

Anyway, back to the topic people, can't wait to see what's gonna come out of this.

Ok, try to understand. I don't personally give a flying fuck about you. I don't know you. I'm just saying your posting lately has been pretty much only insults/trolling toward people you disagree with (and it doesn't matter who they are). Which doesn't constitue a very good basis for acting like a constructive veteran member giving advice about what PWO needs. Now, you're keeping up with trolling and insults, have a field day with it, you seem to love to have the "last word". If anyone wants to bring the thread back on topic, feel free.

People get hung up on the idea of a statute of limitations. Personally, I'm not really sure where I stand on the matter in entirety. But there are real people that Orton hurt that have to live with that long after Orton "grew up."

The bigger issue to me though is what this says about WWE's corporate culture. Every story I've heard from the 2004-07 era paints that locker room as an absolute cesspool. And while talent bears responsibility, it does not appear WWE took any corrective steps whatsoever.

5 hours ago, Herodes said:

the late jerry von k

Wait... He died?! :( 

What happened?

(We're being trolled right now, aren't we? I really your post is poorly-worded sarcasm and JVK is still alive - regardless of whatever his views may or may not be.)

He came back a while ago and said some weird stuff about "the state of PWO". It was amusing.

About Orton, they might even do something if it gains enough traction. It might not be as consequential as them changing the name of the Women's Wrestlemania Battle Royal (after all, sponsors were involved), but it can happen, given that they are deadset on enforcing a more family friendly image and therefore get as much money as possible.

However, Orton is also somewhat of an asset to them, and I would expect a light punishment. Far from cases like Enzo or Swann, at least.

14 hours ago, rovert said:

Orton's Twitter Likes often get commented upon for being very Christian Conservative and/or Alt Right. Optics wise that won't curry favour with a lot of people. 

Waving your dick to co workers is pretty on brand for someone who's Twitter likes trend that way though. 

It's tough with this topic in particular, but we've learned that it's not good for the board when we veer too far away from wrestling. There's a lot I've wanted to say that I haven't for that reason. A friendly reminder to color inside the lines. Thank you.

Not defending this if true (and yeah I know what my av is) but this happened over a decade ago?  I agree with Al that this says more about WWE, and with Johnny that shit, this is a long time ago.  If true it's juvenile and sophomoric, but I played sports my entire life, and I've seen worse in locker rooms.  Hell, I've been hazed worse.  Again, not defending it, and the "it's wrestling" excuse doesn't excuse it, but it's wrestling.  I've heard way worse hazing stories

Also, I don't doubt that this is something Orton would do, but let's remember it's Court Bauer and an anonymous "former writer" and take it with a grain of salt

As far as punishment goes, who knows.  Probably nothing or at most a public mea culpa.  I'm honestly getting tired of people getting in trouble years later for old tweets or dumb shit they did when they were younger.  I wasn't very mature in my mid 20's either and I no doubt did some stuff I regret.  Nothing like the stuff Orton allegedly did, but I've never been in the insane wrestling business

23 hours ago, rovert said:

Yeah, no one is saying he isn't stupid and stupid people retweeting fucked up shit on Twitter is a thing. Dave Meltzer is a smart guy who often is  less than smart on Twitter.

Orton is  also married into a Mexican- American family, if I remember correctly from his interview from the Edge and Christian pod. Shit is complicated. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't get canned or punished  if that's what happens. It's possible, believe it or not, that showing your dick to people crosses all lines. 

8 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Yeah, no one is saying he isn't stupid and stupid people retweeting fucked up shit on Twitter is a thing. Dave Meltzer is a smart guy who often is  less than smart on Twitter.

Orton is  also married into a Mexican- American family, if I remember correctly from his interview from the Edge and Christian pod. Shit is complicated. Still doesn't mean he shouldn't get canned or punished  if that's what happens. It's possible, believe it or not, that showing your dick to people crosses all lines. 

It is absolutely complicated but I could see it getting dicey for him if someone put some of his Twitter Likes side by side with Orton hazing a Jewish writer with something vaguely anti-semitic or if just a bunch of Jewish writers came forward about Orton. 

Really what this will come down to is what the WWE does about it and if it is enough/too much in your eyes.  If we're really honest about that, do you think it matters to the WWE or Orton what some message board people think about it?  Not trying to be a dick here, just asking myself the question and coming up with probably the exact same answer anyone reading this is.

In another topic I commented that maybe toxic fan culture being on the internet because it is less violent than what went on before might be a very good thing.  I'd say the opposite is true here.  In the 80s if this kind of thing happened you'd see it maybe in the newsletters and there would be discussion amongst a few people about it.  But at the end of the day not many would be in the know and it would just disappear.  Now even little scraps of information become huge things and people eat it up. 

I'm sure if you took that close of a look at just about anything there is a seedy underbelly, but anyone who knows anything about wrestling could tell you that the seedy underbelly is probably the biggest part.

You're not wrong, but most of the reason things would disappear/not be a big deal is *because* no one found out about most (if not all) of it.  I'm a proponent of the idea that the internet was both mankind's best and worst idea, but if as a result scumbags can no longer get away with scumbaggy behavior, nary a tear would be shed. 

14 hours ago, rovert said:

It is absolutely complicated but I could see it getting dicey for him if someone put some of his Twitter Likes side by side with Orton hazing a Jewish writer with something vaguely anti-semitic or if just a bunch of Jewish writers came forward about Orton. 

Wait, what? Oh. I get it. Yeah....go fuck yourself.

• Loss locked this topic