Pro Wrestling Only

Is TNA the worst wrestling promotion in history?

Loss

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TNA has a video library spanning 10 years, a primetime weekly deal with Spike TV, and17 (IIRC) international TV deals. These are good things but how much is it REALLY worth. I couldn't imagine someone paying more than 1 million dollars for the company while keeping a straight face. Even if you factor in the PPV deal you are looking at 4 PPVS who total MAYBE 500,000 dollars in revenue this year. I can't see any benefit unless someone was just going to use it as a shell company and use a little 'Hollywood Accounting' to keep the parent company profitable.

Guest Nell Santucci

If there aren't any other takers, I can see WWE jumping on it, just for the tape library.

I'd like to see Vince get on TNA and do a verbatim speech of March 26, 2001 with "Your future is in MY HANDS!" That shit promotion deserves nothing more dignified. Better yet, fire Jeff Jarrett again.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, what would the TNA library really add to a Sting bio? It would tell the full story of his career, but WWE already owns all the important footage. It's a nice late career run for the most part, but essentially meaningless in the big picture. Ditto Angle and Hardy.

Also, for the Network, they already have enough footage to fill it out. Countless hours of their own stuff, countless hours of WCW and ECW, AWA, all the other promotions. It's crazy how much content they own. What's an hour or two a day of TNA on the Network matter in the big picture? Extremely little.

The long story short latest on the sale of TNA is that a sale to a party outside of Wrestling is at very advanced stage for a non controlling interest in the company.

In 2010 UFC sold 10% of the company to the Abu Dhabi-based Flash Entertainment. Cynically a bunch of money mark Saudis. It might be something like that.

Selling a minor share is a good way of recouping some of the money ploughed into TNA AND keeps Dixie employed.

"One source with significant knowledge of what is going down said the new group is unlikely to get involved without owning a controlling interest." - Dave Meltzer. I'm sure the Carters would love investors throwing millions of dollars there way for 10% of the company, but who could possibly be that dumb? It's one thing with UFC when the owners have proven that they know what they are doing, quite another with TNA.

"Just my gut says they are buying it more as a television property with the idea that future rights fees as those number escalate for sports will make it valuable." - Dave Meltzer. They do know wrestling is not a sport, I hope? WWE hasn't managed to drive up their rights fees for Monday Night Raw significantly since 2000, instead having to produce more television to increase the money made from TV. If WWE can't do it, then TNA won't have a snowball's chance in hell.

The long story short latest on the sale of TNA is that a sale to a party outside of Wrestling is at very advanced stage for a non controlling interest in the company.

In 2010 UFC sold 10% of the company to the Abu Dhabi-based Flash Entertainment. Cynically a bunch of money mark Saudis. It might be something like that.

UFC actually sold to the same guy who started the ADCC grappling tournaments and promoted a few shows in China, Sheikh Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nahyan. He's the son of the former leader of the United Arab Emirates and basically a mark for MMA.

Running an invasion angle if TNA was purchased, or even acknowledging on the air that they ever existed, would be a little silly. I'm also not sure what in their tape library is so valuable.

Someone booking a parody-invasion by TNA (blatantly copying the events of 2001, right from the last Nitro onward) is more interesting to me than the real thing happening.

As for the tape library, I agree with those that Vince would want as much footage of wrestling as possible, probably just for the odd match or angle involving guys who were in WWE for at lease a good amount of their careers. I can only imagine that TNA may get a "Self Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior" type presentation if they got a documentary release. They might say, however, "Their Knockouts were good, but were paid in food stamps" or something like that. :)

May or may not be a candidate for this thread. But this week's Impact ended in creepy fashion with in storyline landing badly off a suplex then staying down on the mat shaking from nerve damage. Anyway here is the closing moments of the match and post match online video TNA put out:

Lots of casual fans on Twitter bought the angle. Kind of like a 2013 version of the November 1995 angle where Shawn Michael's collapsed after Owen Hart kicked him in the back of the head.

Uncomfortable from fan's POV and ethically I don't think it is mentally healthy for Kurt to act something like that out.

Uncomfortable from fan's POV and ethically I don't think it is mentally healthy for Kurt to act something like that out.

This was his second consecutive match to end like that (his match at Bound for Glory against Roode also ended after he KO'd himself). He's booked against Austin Aries at the next tapings and I can only imagine how many convulsions he'll do after taking Aries' brainbuster.