Pro Wrestling Only

2018 Match of the Year

AstroBoy

20 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I'm surprised how much love Okada/Omega IV have on this website, to be honest. To me it was one of the worst big matches I've ever seen. Am I alone on that? And, just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of their 2017 trilogy.

From what I observed on the website, this 4th match was the most universally praised of their matches here outside of the 3rd. I saw enough people on here saying they didn't like the original trilogy and were surprised by the 4th one and its quality. Not to invalidate your opinion, of course, this is just what I've seen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about "worst big match" but I didn't really like Okada-Omega IV either on first watch. I don't have any pointed criticisms of the work but I just didn't connect with it then. I remember liking the draw. I thought the way NJ dealt with Omega/Ibushi was too hokey so that might've soured me on the whole thing by the time Dominion happened. I plan to revisit it at some point but that may take a few years.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:48 AM, joeg said:

Toxin vs FlyStar mask match

+1 this match was a banger.

My running list (pretty loosely ordered outside of the top few) is in the signature below, but in addition to the Gargano/Almas, Darby/WALTER, and G1 Final matches already mentioned, my top tier includes the Ladder and Baszler/Moon matches from Takeover New Orleans, and the first big Park/Volador/Flyer vs. Los Ingobernables trios match from 5/25. That trios match just delivered on the danger of Park vs. Rush so much more than I expected a trios match at Arena Mexico to be able to, and more, I think, than the subsequent singles match did. 

On 11/16/2018 at 8:28 PM, Tetsujin said:

I'm surprised how much love Okada/Omega IV have on this website, to be honest. To me it was one of the worst big matches I've ever seen. Am I alone on that? And, just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of their 2017 trilogy. 

I liked it so I couldn't say it was a really bad big match, but I wouldn't have it in my top 100 matches of the year personally. But I'm not really into the New Japan big match style so that wasn't unexpected for me.

I haven't made a MOTY list in years, let's give it a crack. No order but these are the matches I remember going apeshit for.

Almas vs. Gargano - Takeover Philly
Women's Royal Rumble
Asuka vs. Nia Jax - Elimination Chamber
Women's Elimination Chamber
PCO vs. WALTER - Janela's Spring Break
Clusterfuck - Janela's Spring Break
Ladder Match - Takeover NOLA
Ember vs. Shayna - Takeover NOLA
Gargano vs. Ciampa - Takeover NOLA
Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka - WM
Ronda/Angle vs. Hunter/Steph - WM
Dream vs. Ricochet - Takeover Chicago
Gargano vs. Ciampa - Takeover Chicago
Nia Jax vs. Ronda Rousey - MITB
Shayna vs. Kairi Sane - Takeover Brooklyn IV
AJ vs. Joe - Summerslam
Buddy Murphy vs. Cedric Alexander - Super Show Down
Shayna vs. Kairi Sane - Evolution
Becky vs. Charlotte LMS - Evolution
Ronda vs. Charlotte - Survivor Series

Fuck if I can remember anything from TV. 2013 Stace is so mad at me right now.

I only watch WWE/NXT (and old stuff) and will post my annual Top 10 Network Matches in December, but I did want to jump in and ask:

hqdefault.jpg

"PWO ain't got no love for Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz at SummerSlam 2018?"

I don't know. I really, really liked that match. Its not my number one MOTY, but I think it stood out most because it wasn't a borderline spotfest, false finish-loaded "epic" but rather an excellent match between two strong characters with plenty of history. Will definitely make my Top 10.

16 hours ago, DMJ said:

I only watch WWE/NXT (and old stuff) and will post my annual Top 10 Network Matches in December, but I did want to jump in and ask:

hqdefault.jpg

"PWO ain't got no love for Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz at SummerSlam 2018?"

I don't know. I really, really liked that match. Its not my number one MOTY, but I think it stood out most because it wasn't a borderline spotfest, false finish-loaded "epic" but rather an excellent match between two strong characters with plenty of history. Will definitely make my Top 10.

Not quite a MOTYC for me but definitely one of the best MR matches this year. Definitely felt like more of an old-school, blood feud match.

I watched that Rousey/Nia match the other day and thought it was a pretty awesome monster v underdog match with an incredible babyface performance from Rousey, particularly given that it was only her second match ever. I haven't watched much this year, but if I came up with a top 10 that would be in it. I still think the Rousey tag from Wrestlemania would be my #1 as well. 

6 hours ago, superkix said:

Whoa, I didn't know this match existed. I saw the Nomura/Togo match from earlier in the year, which was great. I need to check this out. 

Not sure you'll love it as much as I did but check your PM for the link.

Here's what I wrote about it

https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/topic/47573-2018-04-22-bjw-dick-togo-vs-daisuke-sekimoto/

14 hours ago, El McKell said:

What the?

What what the?

The Clusterfuck is just something I massively enjoyed. Sure it was 2am in New Orleans and I hadn't slept in a week but I just loved it, all the randos coming out and I am a GIGANTIC mark for the Invisible Man, so all that nonsense popped me huge and yeah I just had a ball. That and PCO/WALTER made me super happy I made the trek out to the show even though I was half dead and running on whatever fuels the zombies. I am inordinately happy that I was actually in the crowd to (not) see the Invisible Man win a battle royal.

Ronda vs. Nia, besides being 100% without question the best 'literally the first singles match I have ever had in my entire career' anyone has ever had in wrestling history, was fucking awesome.

10 hours ago, Jimmy Redman said:

What what the?

The Clusterfuck is just something I massively enjoyed. Sure it was 2am in New Orleans and I hadn't slept in a week but I just loved it, all the randos coming out and I am a GIGANTIC mark for the Invisible Man, so all that nonsense popped me huge and yeah I just had a ball. That and PCO/WALTER made me super happy I made the trek out to the show even though I was half dead and running on whatever fuels the zombies. I am inordinately happy that I was actually in the crowd to (not) see the Invisible Man win a battle royal.

Ronda vs. Nia, besides being 100% without question the best 'literally the first singles match I have ever had in my entire career' anyone has ever had in wrestling history, was fucking awesome.

I can see getting more out of The Clusterfuck if you were in the building watching at home I felt it went way too long and the shenanigans got pretty old by the end.

Ronda vs Nia was excellent for a first singles match and yeah I can't think of a better one. Doesn't mean I thought it was a great match, to me that MITB wasn't a special show, there was more than one match on it just as good or better than this so just struck me as a very unexpected thing to come up in a MOTY thread.