Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling offically a thing

sek69

Dave broke the news that AEW is a real boy, Tony Khan will be running the company. Cody is the first announced signee, others to be announced in the next few days (my read: guys probably want to finish up with New Japan before announcing so we'll probably hear more after Wrestle Kingdom/New Years Dash). Also stated there's no TV deal yet but they have multiple offers already. Selling out All In was apparently the eye opener to some folks in the TV biz that this thing might have some legs.  Also mentioned specifically that Jericho hasn't signed but he wouldn't have been doing the things he's been doing on social media where he's palling around with Tony Khan if there wasn't something happening eventually. Another line was "everyone you'd think that would be talking to them are doing so" and ROH doesn't want to be seen as being bumped down to #3 which is the motivation for them going out and signing guys more aggresively. 

ROH guys are not going to be working with AEW, which combined with them making a big money offer for Bandido (who the Elite guys showcased at All In) seems to indicate that ROH realizes they just spent the last couple years as an incubator for the company that will leapfrog them the moment they get any halfway decent TV deal. 

Also Bix is being Extremely Not Mad on Twitter over Dave being the one to break the news since he's eternally jilted lover of all things WON/F4W related.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Being the Elite that announced it was great. A showcase of why these guys are the best at telling stories in new media and why I trust them on this.

More from the Dave-cast - confirming everyone is still attempting to work with / for New Japan.

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

Also Bix is being Extremely Not Mad on Twitter over Dave being the one to break the news since he's eternally jilted lover of all things WON/F4W related.

What is Bix's issue with Dave? I've seen them have twitter spats here and there but I've never really known Bix's work and who he was until I joined this site.

Could anyone give an overview?

2 hours ago, SPS said:

What is Bix's issue with Dave? I've seen them have twitter spats here and there but I've never really known Bix's work and who he was until I joined this site.

Could anyone give an overview?

Bix is an interesting case. He's normally an alright dude and a pretty good writer, but he gets hung up on things and doesn't realize how petty it makes him look. He worked with Bryan and even took over writing the Figure 4 Newsletter for a while (which people pointed out was odd since Bix used to blast Dave and Bryan on their board all the time),  until they had some sort of falling out. I don't know the details, and he might have a legit beef with the guys, but ever since he's made sure to let everyone know he doesn't give money to the site and has been on a mission to prove Dave is somehow journalistically compromised because the Young Bucks call him Uncle Dave and named a move after him. 

In AEW news, it seems pretty clear Zack Ryder will be joining as soon as contractually possible. It will be interesting to see how many "creative has nothing for you" WWE guys make the jump since it seems like they'll let guys do their thing to get over.

I don't know what's going on with Bix and Dave/Bryan, but is anyone really surprised that Dave broke the news? After all, he is the reason "All In" happened in the first place (with the whole Cody Rhodes to Dave "I'll take that bet" Twitter exchange).

I look forward to following this story. I imagine we're at least two years away from seeing any sort of show that isn't just a one-time sequel to All-In though. It's way too early in the process. I guess we'll get more information on the eighth, but without any sort of news about a TV deal (or even internet deal) or a roster, it's just too soon. 

Of course no one is surprised, which is why it's annoying to see him going back and forth between "LOL THIS ISN'T NEWS" (because it's basically just confirming what was leaked when the trademark stuff came out a few weeks ago), and saying Dave is morally compromised because he timed his story to release with the BTE episode where they made the announcement. 

Also being weirdly offended that the Bucks were denying reports of AEW until today being some kind of expose' of them being lying conmen is baffling since IIRC they were still under ROH contract up to 12/31. Going around saying you were signed to a new promotion while technically still under contract to their old one would be a monumentally stupid thing for them to do. 

Personally, I can't wait to see the domino effect this will have for the buisness. I've longed for there to be a non TNA company out there with a national TV deal ever since WCW died, and this looks like the best chance since then to have a real solid contender. A company owned by someone not just a clueless money mark being run by creative people being allowed to do their own thing is what the industry badly needs. 

7 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Personally, I can't wait to see the domino effect this will have for the buisness. I've longed for there to be a non TNA company out there with a national TV deal ever since WCW died, and this looks like the best chance since then to have a real solid contender. A company owned by someone not just a clueless money mark being run by creative people being allowed to do their own thing is what the industry badly needs. 

This. The Jarretts have failed. Billy Corgan, well... ROH will never be it. This is the most exciting story since the death of WCW as far as the pro-wrestling landscape goes in the US.

Another bonus for the industry: several reports seem to indicate NXT is upping their offers to free agents, so no more lowball offers where the dangling carrot of making it to main roster WWE is used as the primary compensation rather than actual cash money. 

33 minutes ago, sek69 said:

...and saying Dave is morally compromised because he timed his story to release with the BTE episode where they made the announcement. 

I don't watch BTE. Is this where it was officially announced?

If so, I'm not seeing the "conflict" in Dave reacting to that with his own report. 

I assume Bix is saying Dave knew beforehand but withheld the information?

The thing is, like you said:

"LOL THIS ISN'T NEWS" (because it's basically just confirming what was leaked when the trademark stuff came out a few weeks ago)

Which it seems Bix is also saying?

So, I'm confused... Probably because I don't really pay attention to Twitter all that much. (Somehow I think I'm better off.)

They announced it on BTE at midnight PST, same time as Dave's show dropped.  The "worst" thing I can imagine is that they asked him to not steal their thunder by announcing it before they did, which isn't something I think is journalistically terrible. It was just them confirming what was already public knowledge due to the trademark stuff so it's not as if they were asking him to squash a new detail. 

So yes, he's trying to have it both ways by saying it wasn't a big deal because there wasn't any new info but also Dave is ethically compromised because he agreed to hold off on his report until they made their offical announcement.

....and yes, you are better off not paying attention to Twitter. Especially wrestling news Twitter.

Everyone claims Dave is being paid by someone. New Japan is paying him to rate their matches higher, the Bucks are paying him to shill for AEW, I even saw someone state they felt the intital Twitter bet with Cody that prompted All In was a work and Dave was secretly on the payroll. 

Are the Bucks and Cody talking to him/bouncing ideas off him? Probably. If they are serious about starting their own company, why wouldn't you want to discuss it with the guy who's been covering the business longer than anyone?  Are they paying him? I would be stunned if that was the case. I don't know how anyone could read anything Dave ever wrote about anything and not come away with a sense of how serious he takes being ethical in what he does. 

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Bix is an interesting case. He's normally an alright dude and a pretty good writer, but he gets hung up on things and doesn't realize how petty it makes him look. He worked with Bryan and even took over writing the Figure 4 Newsletter for a while (which people pointed out was odd since Bix used to blast Dave and Bryan on their board all the time),  until they had some sort of falling out. I don't know the details, and he might have a legit beef with the guys, but ever since he's made sure to let everyone know he doesn't give money to the site and has been on a mission to prove Dave is somehow journalistically compromised because the Young Bucks call him Uncle Dave and named a move after him. 

Okay thank you, I never knew Bix worked with Figure 4 although I do remember listening to old clips of Bix on the old Observer live show calling in and usually knocking something like 'Mania 17 in once I recall.

Shame Bix has this kinda grudge since I really enjoy his articles and him on Between the Sheets. Don't know why wrestling journalists have to feud with each other since the pool of them is small enough as is, doesn't make sense to me but I'm no journalist so what do I know?

Because when he was on the WWE payroll way back then he realized how it created a conflict of interest and was adamant in not allowing that to happen again.

He's stated numerous times over the years that tons of companies have offered him jobs, and he's turned them down every time. 

People are making the accusation now with no evidence other than Dave scooping them on a big story. The narrative was that Dave doesn't get the scoops anymore so when he does get one it must be because he's being paid by the guys involved. 

The truth, I'm sure, is a lot less interesting.

Cody and The Bucks are probably reasonably "close" to Meltzer. My guess is that they gave him the scoop but asked him to hold off on it until a certain date. 

That's far different than Meltzer being on their payroll, which I don't believe. Even if DM was tempted by that, which I highly doubt, he just has to look back at past history and ask himself how much credibility Bob Ryder has. (The answer: zero.)

Dave might not be on their payroll but if you don't think he will have some kind of "Minister of Information" role in the company you are delusional.  Listen he has been a shill for everything Young Bucks in the last 2 or 3 years so why not get some money for it.   The days of thinking that Meltzer is an "objective journalist" died many years ago

AEW just tweeted a pic of Cody, Brandi, the Bucks, and Page officially signing their contracts so there's that. 

I believe it was Ryan Satin who pointed out Marty Scurll is the luckiest man in wrestling right now. He has until April to keep doing his Villian Club deal while being paired up with two newcomers to ROH, and by then it should be clear if AEW will be a legit option or not. At that point he can either re sign with ROH if AEW doesn't take off, join up with his friends if it does, or use either previous option to see if he can get a fat offer from WWE.