Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling offically a thing

sek69

While most of this is just bitching about stuff most of us already know about co-opted media and can't control, what else is there to talk about with this promotion?  All of the Bullet Club people and their friends that can be signed are signed.  Shows a long time from now.   So really all we can talk about is the business side of things

Britt Baker is good in the ring but there are dozens of women in the business not on ROH, TNA, or the WWE more qualified then her.  And hopefully they are booked and it doesn't turn into Ring of Honor women's division.  The idea that we have a women's division because Adam Cole's wife and Cody Rhodes's wife is a stretch for now.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, rovert said:

NXT has been upping their deals to talents since the July class. It isn't new. I knew about it as that class contained friends and I was over the moon they were being treated like they should.

Nor is AEW being real. Two dozen indie talents have been under monthly holding contracts for a while. Despite your first post the dogs on the street knew this for a good while.

So, um, who are these two dozen indie talents? Sounds like a pretty cool scoop.

3 hours ago, rovert said:

It all started when sek69 completely overstated the Les Moore thing as bix pointed out. 

Meltzer has done consultancy work before whether it be WWF a million years or by his own admission for MMA companies in more recent times.

Are you talking about Dave volunteering to help Eddie Alvarez in his lawsuit against Bellator (which I don't recall him ever acknowledging in his coverage) or something else I'm forgetting in terms of him openly consulting on the MMA side?

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Britt Baker is good in the ring but there are dozens of women in the business not on ROH, TNA, or the WWE more qualified then her.  And hopefully they are booked and it doesn't turn into Ring of Honor women's division.  The idea that we have a women's division because Adam Cole's wife and Cody Rhodes's wife is a stretch for now.

Doesn't MLW wants to have a women's division in 2019 too ? With WWE signing everyone like they're WCW circa 1997, it's not gonna be easy to have a super solid division in every promotion. iMPACT has Tessa B. who's awesome and the Taya feud has been good, Su Young and Allie are quite solid workers and cool characters, but the rest of the roster is not exactly setting the world on fire (jury's out on Jordynne Grace, who could be a really cool worker of just a female Mike Elgin, not sure yet). 

What AEW needs surely is Joey Janela & Penelope Ford though.

Unless they pay Janela a shit load of money he isn't going to ditch what he currently has.  He loves all of this freedom that GCW is giving him and his Janela shows are the hottest thing in the business not involving people TOO SWEET each other.  Maybe AEW will allow him to do that. Hell he worked All In last year in a great match against Page.  Also I am not sure if he still works for MLW which he was a regular for until the injury

The biggest question for this company is who is the people looking for talent.  Hopefully it isn't Meltzer because unless it was in PWG or New Japan he isn't watching it.   I don't know how much of the Bullet Club was following the Powerbomb TV like promotions that have a ton of great talent to use to fill that roster.   They booked Marko Stunt for All In but not sure if it was because of what he did in the ring or because of the internet buzz he got. 

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Unless they pay Janela a shit load of money he isn't going to ditch what he currently has.  He loves all of this freedom that GCW is giving him and his Janela shows are the hottest thing in the business not involving people TOO SWEET each other.  Maybe AEW will allow him to do that. Hell he worked All In last year in a great match against Page.  Also I am not sure if he still works for MLW which he was a regular for until the injury

The biggest question for this company is who is the people looking for talent.  Hopefully it isn't Meltzer because unless it was in PWG or New Japan he isn't watching it.   I don't know how much of the Bullet Club was following the Powerbomb TV like promotions that have a ton of great talent to use to fill that roster.   They booked Marko Stunt for All In but not sure if it was because of what he did in the ring or because of the internet buzz he got. 

That was stemming from Marko blowing up at the SummerSlam weekend GCW/Janela show. He was pretty much booked for the battle royal as soon as humanly possible.

I've said this other places, and i'll say it here.

If you don't watch Being The Elite, don't bother commenting on AEW or Cody/Bucks, as every review/podcast of All In sounded like idiots who didn't know what they were talking about, most often because they don't watch a 15min weekly show on youtube, but will sit through 7 hrs of WWE television per week

Well if they are wrestling fans they will watch 4-7 hours of WWE programming.   Sorry that we weren't cultured enough to follow why Joey Ryan is walking to the ring with a bunch of dicks.  I mean Being the Elite was fun if you want the follow what the guys were doing on the road but it wasn't until All In that it was treating like a wrestling storyline.   Yes if you are going to follow AEW then you probably have to watch all of Being the Elite now.  Assuming that it will be more company based and not just "hey the Young Bucks are at Cracker Barrel again"

1 hour ago, TheBestThereNeverWillBe said:

If you don't watch Being The Elite, don't bother commenting on AEW or Cody/Bucks

Which seems to me like a very dumb way to run a business, but what do I know? *Shrug*

39 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

Are there wrestling matches on the Being the Elite series on YouTube? I was under the assumption it was all just talking. If there are some good matches on it I might be interested in checking it out.

It's the build for everything they do, and has been for the last year and a half (really ever since the Scurll turn on Cole). Cody-Omega, Bucks-Lovers, the main matches on All In - the story is all in those episodes. That's why while the above post is a little hyperbolic, I'd agree it's hard to review something like All In without watching the show - you're missing key pieces.

17 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

I honestly think Kenny sticks with NJPW full-time for a little while longer. He has all the leverage in the world with NJPW right now and I don't think he would pass on an opportunity for a big Ibushi program which is probably the plan for WK 14. That being said I'm sure he'll make a few appearances here and there.

I mean, Kenny is not even full time now. He wrestled less than half of what Okada did for New Japan last year, for example.

ps: holy shit at this thread :lol:

Ugh.

I wish people would refrain from speaking for others in general. No viewing is a mandatory prerequisite for seeing anything else. It helps, sure. Context always does. But it's not a necessity.

I watched All In. It was some of the most fun I had watching a wrestling show all year. And I would rank it the second or third best all-around full card of the year.

But I haven't seen one full episode(?) of Being the Elite or whateverthefuck. But that really doesn't matter. The recaps and buildups were explained well enough on the show itself.

The whole, "if you haven't seen this, then you aren't qualified or knowledgeable enough to comment on that" talking point needs to die in a dozen dirty dumpster fires. Right now. Because it's the fucking worst, most off-putting conversation killer to ever spring up in any discussion. Anywhere. It's so closed-minded and intolerant in nature.

It's why I hated the GWE process. It didn't take very long for even highly respected posters to start saying that silly shit - saying that others shouldn't vote unless they've seen all styles from all cultures to ever exist.

People can only comment on what they have seen. Try encouraging them & persuading them to seek out other stuff. Telling them they MUST watch something "OR ELSE" isn't the way to go about that.

9 hours ago, rovert said:

If your ego is this fragile then you need help. Casey established the best reputation for accuracy between all prominent Wrestling websites and it isn't even close. The Observer, PWTorch, PWInsider etc all used his information. 

I'm not sure how my fragile ego factors into this, one way or the other. I don't know who "Casey" is, nor do I care.  I don't subscribe to the Observer, Torch or PWInsider.  I just think it's sad how you're trying to convince everybody in this thread how important you are and much you know.  I get the impression that it is important to you that people acknowledge that.

Do yourself a favor.  Take two steps back and objectively look at this statement you made:

"Endless wrestlers follow me on Twitter...I am well connected with this generation of Wrestling talent and promoters. Casey Michael and I broke more signing stories in Pro Wrestling over the last 4 years than anyone."

Even if your statement is true, if you're being honest you have to admit that the fact that you felt the need to make it, comes across as a cry for help.  If you can't see that?  Well then, by all means...enjoy your important status.  You earned it.  You're a very important person on Twitter, who knows all sorts of very important things, and all sorts of very important people and I am duly impressed. :blink:

On 1/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, TheBestThereNeverWillBe said:

If you don't watch Being The Elite, don't bother commenting on AEW or Cody/Bucks, as every review/podcast of All In sounded like idiots who didn't know what they were talking about, most often because they don't watch a 15min weekly show on youtube, but will sit through 7 hrs of WWE television per week

This is one of the dumbest examples of gatekeeping I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, SomethingSavage said:

It's why I hated the GWE process. It didn't take very long for even highly respected posters to start saying that silly shit - saying that others shouldn't vote unless they've seen all styles from all cultures to ever exist.

The best one was still "You can't answer to my claims about Ric Flair if you haven't listened to my twelve 4hours podcasts." though..

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

"Endless wrestlers follow me on Twitter...I am well connected with this generation of Wrestling talent and promoters. Casey Michael and I broke more signing stories in Pro Wrestling over the last 4 years than anyone." 

For people like me who only casually follow Twitter, it would be helpful to know who some of these people are...

Bix: I recognize him as David Bixenspan, whose writing I've read and enjoyed. I may have discovered his articles through the PWO message board, but I'm not sure.

Les Moore: No idea who he is.

Sean Ross Sapp: Vaguely familiar with his name from that Fightful site, which I've visited only a small handful of times.

Casey Michael: Never heard of him.

rovert: Not familiar with him. What is his name, or does he post everywhere as rovert?

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez: Like Carlos Colon in the '93 Rumble, I have a feeling these are two up-and-coming "youngsters" we should keep an eye on. :D

11 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez: Like Carlos Colon in the '93 Rumble, I have a feeling these are two up-and-coming "youngsters" we should keep an eye on. :D

This quote almost saves this thread.:lol:

(and seconded on Bix's articles)

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Brandi Rhodes getting the same job title in this company as Stephanie McMahon is first level trolling I will admit

This, and also you know that this is what will piss off Vince the most no matter what TV they get or what talent jumps. 

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

I mean, Kenny is not even full time now. He wrestled less than half of what Okada did for New Japan last year, for example.

ps: holy shit at this thread :lol:

I honestly think the main event workers don't need to be on every single Road To show. I mean obviously Jericho only wrestling three times a year for them is too much, but as long as the champ or top talent work all the ppv's and maybe one of the more important Road To shows it doesn't bother me.

11 hours ago, El-P said:

Sorry, but not everybody that is a pro-wrestling fan follows "big budget indies" nor ROH. I follow whatever the fuck I want, basically. Hell, I used to get shit for That Indian Guy, before it became a running gag, because I had not followed enough WWE to recognize who the fuck he was (and I guess I was right not to recognize him, as his existence would have been better off ignored in the following months).

Not recognizing the name of some indy worker who was the lesser known of the woman match at All In doesn't warrant a "Why do you even post in that thread ?" rude answer to someone who just ask about someone whose name he doesn't know.

Anyway, the whole thread basically displays a bunch of Twitter egos playing "who's got the most followers", and this is exactly why Twitter is a disease.

WCW redux ? I'm all in.

If you don't know who Britt Baker is then I consider you grossly out of loop Elite/AEW wise sorry.

I am not playing the Twitter follower game at all just it bizarre to think fans and Wrestlers can't be friends/friendly. It is what the whole Elite/AEW aesthetic is based on.

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

Britt Baker is good in the ring but there are dozens of women in the business not on ROH, TNA, or the WWE more qualifiedthen her.  And hopefully they are booked and it doesn't turn into Ring of Honor women's division.  The idea that we have a women's division because Adam Cole's wife and Cody Rhodes's wife is a stretch for now.

Who is more qualified and speaks to the Elites audience. And she isn't Adam's wife.