Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 7/1 - 7/7 The Return of the Return of Heyman and Bischoff

Flyin' Brian

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the two things WWE need to do to make RAW feel different (and better) are get rid of Kevin Dunn & get rid of Michael Cole. They both drag the show down in different ways. The camera stuff kills the enjoyment of visually watching. The commentary kills the audible enjoyment of listening. It's a TV show that you watch & listen to where the watching & listening is not good.

That's like having fire that isn't hot or that doesn't burn. 

This show felt like a better step into the right direction but they gotta get rid of those constants that have been hindering the show forever. 

Loved the AJ heel turn - he's been stale for a while now - but man that beat down cried out for some of Ricochet's fellow babyfaces to run to the ring to break it up. Maybe all those people who hugged him after he won the title could have done it?

32 minutes ago, ...TG said:

Loved the AJ heel turn - he's been stale for a while now - but man that beat down cried out for some of Ricochet's fellow babyfaces to run to the ring to break it up. Maybe all those people who hugged him after he won the title could have done it?

Because all of those geeks secretly want to join The Club so they can "too sweet" AJ, Anderson, and Gallows over and over whenever they want.

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

I feel like the two things WWE need to do to make RAW feel different (and better) are get rid of Kevin Dunn & get rid of Michael Cole. They both drag the show down in different ways. The camera stuff kills the enjoyment of visually watching. The commentary kills the audible enjoyment of listening. It's a TV show that you watch & listen to where the watching & listening is not good.

That's like having fire that isn't hot or that doesn't burn. 

This show felt like a better step into the right direction but they gotta get rid of those constants that have been hindering the show forever. 

And Renee Young. And Corey Graves. The entire commentary scene is poor. Nigel McGuinness is the only good commentator in WWE. 

If your argument is that we need to remove Michael Cole AND have more or the same of Corey Graves and Renee Young than no fucking way.   For all of Michael Cole's flaws he is really the only adult steering the wheel while the 2 children in the backseat and yelling at each other to see who can be the loudest.   If you are talking about a complete overhaul including the style then sure

The problem with Michael Cole is that everything out of his mouth sounds cheesy & corny. He's the antithesis of cool. It's been talked about before, but if he's the voice that's trying to get over your babyfaces, it makes you immediately not want to support the babyfaces. He makes them uncool. Michael Cole is the wrestling commentator equivalent to the middle aged white mom dancing to hip hop music in the audience at an Ellen taping.

I thought Michael Cole did a hell of a job selling the Braun-Bobby aftermath when he stood up after the commercial break and gave an update. His background as a news reporter kicked in there. When he's in a role like that, he's actually very good.

2 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I would like to point out that Michael Cole is not on Smackdown and it still isn't good.

The main problem with the announcers is having Vince yelling in their headset trying to make them do it like they were Vince in the 80s calling an episode of Superstars. That's why the announcing is mostly good outside the main roster (hello Mauro), you see improvement there, and it's why everyone tends to get worse when they get called up.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

The main problem with the announcers is having Vince yelling in their headset trying to make them do it like they were Vince in the 80s calling an episode of Superstars. That's why the announcing is mostly good outside the main roster (hello Mauro), you see improvement there, and it's why everyone tends to get worse when they get called up.

I'd love to see a Vince McMahon impersonator call the show, or maybe John Cena as Lance Catamaran from Southpaw Regional Wrestling. 

Michael Cole is possibly the best play by play guy out there, but being micromanaged to the point of madness doesn't do him any favors. When he's in more loose settings,  he's awesome. Beast in the East, UK Tournament and MYC2 are evidences that dude is great.

One guy I can totally see becoming a very good color commentator in the future is The Miz. Back when he was a guest during some of his feuds, dude just loved analyzing matches, the action and motivations etc. So good.

- Actually watched more of Raw than usual based on the hype about Heyman coming in as the "Executive Producer" or whatever his title is now. I still think the show has fundamental flaws that nobody can fix. Namely, the 3 hour running time. As good as this show was - and there were some parts that were entertaining and felt fresh - I still found myself fast-forwarding through most of it. Granted, had that been an option in the late 90s, I'm guessing I would've fast-forwarded through much of those shows too. I mean, The Godfather and Steve Blackman seem like a great guys and all, but if I could've got my fix of Steve Austin and The Rock without sitting through their matches, I would've been just as happy.

- What was with the "Hot Asian Wife" thing? Super creepy and I'm glad (hoping) it will be dropped. Its 2019 - a wrestler feuding with another wrestler for the right to rape their wife is gross.

- On the flip side, I liked the Maria angle (or at least the start of it). Its trashy, for sure, but the stark difference is that in the "Hot Asian Wife" angle, the nameless wife has no agency. They are a prize to be gambled and won. The Maria angle has given a talented, wasted non-wrestler a new role to play, albeit a very crass one, and a way to get heat. I'm hoping they don't go too too far into the cuckold thing - in fact, having put the pedal on the gas this week I'm hoping they cruise for awhile and just make this about Mike wanting to "prove he's a man" by winning wrestling matches while Maria berates him - but I could just as easily see this devolving into something really putrid and gross (for example, "Twist: Mike likes being cuckolded" or "Twist: The father is a black wrestler because, well, you know what they say, pal!") 

- Liked the opening angle. Didn't like the Michael Cole "serious" voice and other wrestlers sending their thoughts and prayers to "Bobby and Braun." It was a wrestling angle on a wrestling show. The actual spot and the production around it was excellent (loved the high camera angle looking down), but once they came from the break, it should've been time for another match. Keep the show moving. I know, I know, they have 3 hours to fill so they need to fill it with replays and the commentators expressing their sadness, blah blah...but the show does seem to lack "urgency" and even after a well-produced, great moment, a good quality TV show should be ready to keep you glued to your seat for the next thing. The next thing was a New Day/Viking Raiders match. Not exactly the hottest two acts I can think of right now (and I say this as a fan of both). 

- Ricochet/Styles is already a more interesting feud to me than Rollins/Corbin ever was. Speaking of Rollins, yeah, the stuff with Becky was cringe-inducing. Hopefully Heyman is going to wrap up this entire storyline at Extreme Rules and move them away from each other. Becky Lynch is supposed to be this cool character but I'm far more interested in the Bliss/Nikki Cross storyline right now. I think Becky could still carry a good feud, it is such a shame that she has been sandbagged with Lacey Evans and we haven't seen her mix it up with any of the more interesting women on the roster. There really is potential for good, character-based feuds there that they don't even seem to want to try at all. I really, really pray this isn't building to a Andrade & Charlotte feud (again, I say this as a fan of both, just not interested in seeing Rollins & Becky's real-life romance become the basis of storylines).