Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 5/25-5/31

Flyin' Brian

36 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I've had the opposite experience. I keep seeing negative or meh takes on a lot of Dynamites for months while I have quite enjoyed the stretch from Punk's return to now. There's only been like 2-3 shows that were duds in that time. I do wish to go a week without seeing Adam Cole, but what can ya do? It's certainly not a perfect show, a lot of the booking is pretty scatterbrained, and I do not watch Dark/Elevation, and rarely pop in for Rampage unless there is a specific match that interests me. Even then, I'll watch the next day and scrub through it, but even that I don't do often at all.

I basically do the exact opposite of you. I watch Rampage Saturday mornings without being spoiled usually. I watch Dark/Elevation over the span of a day or two after they air. I catch the parts of Dynamite I want to see on Thursday or Monday if I am writing something up for SC but it’s easily the part of AEW I catch the least of. But I’ve been overall enjoying the promotion since Punk showed up. I definitely have the most fun with Dark/Elevation but seeing Rampage over breakfast on Saturday scratches a WCW Power Hour nostalgia itch.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, the company is three years old. It's way past the honeymoon period. After 18 years without an alternative as a mainstream promotion, there it is, it exists. It's not a "what if", it's not a "let's see what happens now", it exists and is three years old. The excitement of the beginning is over. To me the best time has been 2021. Since the beginning of 2022, week-to-week booking has been pretty uneven, but they have so much talent now, too many actually, that the question of "Wow, what if X showed up in AEW?" has reached the point of the answer being "Well, they already have too much talent.". The goofiest part of the promotion, which was still deeply rooted in its indies base at first, is obviously less present now. A lot of people on the roster have already gone through the WWE machine (and not being used well there for the most part), a lot. Cody has gone back to WWE too, which, although it really doesn't make much difference at all on the shows, still makes you feel that, well, that super exciting period of the beginnings is over. The promotion is there, it exists. And it's another pro-wrestling promotion. Don't get me wrong, I do still love AEW and I have a blast watching it, but it's obviously not exactly the same as it was at first. 

United Empire, uh ? When Will Ospreay may not be ready to come back for the PPV after a severe kidney infection ? Yeah that's.... not the NJPW guys have would have showing up. Great O'Khan actually is getting much better, but the gimmick is what it is (lame). He saved a little girl from abduction too, so he's a IRL babyface.

Joe on the other hand. Nobody saw that one coming apparently. One year ago :

FIdVMLRWUAMSKak.jpg

and now it's like the Joe of old, or an older version of the Joe of old. Quite the great surprise indeed.

I have a vague memory of early days ROH where the excitement would be in the card that they put together. That was especially true if the show was coming to your neck of the woods if you didn't get them all the tie (I was in MA at the time so I wasn't exactly getting the Philly nexus shows). The excitement for AEW in 2022 feels a lot like that: matches for Rampage being announced on Dynamite, that last Dynamite match that gets announced on Wednesday, etc.

Three weeks ago, I didn't know I wanted Danielson vs Sydal with Regal on commentary and Danielson testing his leg out and Sydal fighting for the notions of Peace, Love, and Pro Wrestling, but I absolutely do. I probably wasn't super interested in them running back Soho vs Statlander but Soho really needs to make her mark and Statlander has to get over the new character tweak and has been leaning even harder into her strength and it should be interesting.

I didn't know I wanted to see a more aggressive Lee Moriarty against Alex Reynolds and Alan Angels, but hey, apparently I did, and they were good matches.

Yeah, there's booking, and there are stories, but it's a promotion with a huge roster that doesn't often run rematches, so almost all the matches end up feeling fresh.

I'm probably as excited for that moment of them announcing the next card or of getting a glimpse at the Dark tapings as I am for actually watching any of the actual matches in-ring.

But ask me again if I feel that way in six months and we'll see.

I’m midway on AEW, I was hot on it until the last PPV, but outside of FTR having the run of their career for a few weeks and MJF/Wardlow, the last two months or so have just been the shits. Totally wasting the final Hardyz run, Danielson and Regal palling around with Moxley, Keith Lee becoming a non-entity within a few weeks of a mega-hype debut (I chalk this up to his health, though, it seems like he just can’t go like he used to), an anemic tournament, TNT title caught up in Sammy’s weirdness, Jericho being Jericho, Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus being Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus. Bad vibes!

This sounds horrible to say, but Hangman really lost a lot of momentum when he took a break for the birth of his child. So much happened while he was gone that by the time he came back he was already an afterthought and all his programs since have felt tacked on. I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken the time off, but in retrospect the whole damn promotion seemed to lap him. 

2 hours ago, Embrodak said:

Well I hate to say it, but I also think Corny is right that him palling around with the Dark Order as a problem drinker both made him feel like less of a big deal and ill-prepared him, experientially speaking, to be *the* guy leading the company.

I agree. I don’t hate The Dark Order as much as I used to, but the fact is they’re essentially enhancement talent at this point, and having them as his wacky comedy sidekicks really didn’t do anything to help Hangman Page establish his character.

One could argue that Page has been in AEW's best matches this year.  The Danielson, Archer, Cole and Takeshita run makes for a pretty great year.  Throw in the Omega title change and Danielson draw and you have a tremendous title reign.  In the ring.  Outside of those matches I'm not sure the TV has made elevating him any kind of a priority.  Punk, MJF, BCC, FTR, Cole, the Guevara/Sky TNT Title mess, even Joe have all seemed more focused on as acts at times.  I don't know where the blame lies for that.  Maybe Khan can't or doesn't want to come up with more for Page.  Maybe he's had more ideas and spent more time focusing on other characters.  Maybe Page hasn't pushed to be featured more.  Or perhaps they think his matches stand out enough on their own.  I don't have the answer but can't complain too much if we keep getting title matches like we've seen so far.

I really, really don’t like watching Adam Page matches. He doesn’t have a first or second gear. No mid-level offense. No nuance. It’s all bombs. While he was away, Danielson and Punk came in and the house style grew up and he didn’t grow along with it. His does some things well enough and his matches are exciting and there’s definitely a place for him on the card but it’s not as champion of the promotion AEW’s become. 

My feeling about AEW booking is WWE has had garbage booking and programming for most of the past 30 years. When AEW's logic might break down or something drags on too long, at least there is always some really cool shit on the show and the feeling that at least TK wants the fans to actually be excited and enjoy themselves. Just putting on shows that aren't insulting to the audience goes a long way to being able to look past some of the issues AEW might have. I'm sports entertained 9 times out of 10.

33 minutes ago, strobogo said:

My feeling about AEW booking is WWE has had garbage booking and programming for most of the past 30 years. When AEW's logic might break down or something drags on too long, at least there is always some really cool shit on the show and the feeling that at least TK wants the fans to actually be excited and enjoy themselves. Just putting on shows that aren't insulting to the audience goes a long way to being able to look past some of the issues AEW might have. I'm sports entertained 9 times out of 10.

That's where I'm at too. Obviously the honeymoon period of "wow a real competitor" is mostly over at this point, the feeling that TK is at least trying to book to make the fans happy is such a different experience than WWEs endless HEAT shows.

I like me some Hangman Page but I do think your World Champ should bring more to the table than *just* quality matches. AEW has a great roster and there is no shortage of people capable of delivering in the ring. If Hangman doesn't provide something extra like Bryan Danielson, Punk, Starks, Miro, Kingston etc, then he's just another guy who happens to hold the title.

Your top champ NEEDS the top, or at the very least the 2nd hottest storyline going. I'm not sure Page is in the fifth spot right now. 

The guy with the sign that basically said that "The Sumer Of Punk Is Coming" was dead on. Page's promo was confusing because some guys need a script. Punk did his best to save him, but it was a little rough. But, I again agree with the sign dude. Page is supposed to be a babyface who knows what Punk is up to, and if/when Punk wins on Sunday he's going to go heel. Maybe not right after the match like when he beat Aires for the ROH belt, but possibly drawn out over weekly TV. 

I hope they totally recreate the ROH win. I was there and one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a wrestling show was Sapolsky "running" after Punk to try and get the belt back.

3 hours ago, strobogo said:

Agreed.

The thing with Hangman's booking, is that they had a super strong arc leading to Hangman winning the title from Omega, it was a long and deep storyline that had roots in the long term relationships between him, Omega & the Bucks. After it was done, well.... things got kinda blurry in term of where this was going toward. The Adam Cole storyline to me was actually the best, because it had the most legs. Danielson was basically a dream match. CM Punk is basically a dream match. But yeah, with MJF taking so much place lately with his last two feuds, as a character, Page has not came off like the most important guy in the company. Great reign in-ring though, piling on great matches after great matches.

17 hours ago, sek69 said:

This sounds horrible to say, but Hangman really lost a lot of momentum when he took a break for the birth of his child. So much happened while he was gone that by the time he came back he was already an afterthought and all his programs since have felt tacked on. I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken the time off, but in retrospect the whole damn promotion seemed to lap him. 

I agree. I think they'd peaked that feud for All Out, and it was just a bit past it when they finally got to Full Gear. Moreover, I think it really would have helped Page to already be the guy when Danielson and Cole showed up. Those guys produced so much forward momentum that it's left Page still catching up a bit (especially after the Danielson matches). It also hasn't helped him that the builds for these last two big feuds have been kinda mushy. It feels like if he lost the belt it would give him more space for an actual character arc again.

53 minutes ago, El-P said:

As I've reached late 2013 TNA, the true comparison with MJF is actually.... EC3. Very striking how their gimmicks are similar, and how EC3 was also very efficient at working angles and be an insufferable rich boy douchebag. 

yeah but EC3 is better because he controls his narrative

So for those who missed Rampage, Ruby vs. Statlander was Ruby's best match thus far in AEW but the result just killed the crowd.  Stat busted out a great promo before the match that completely got them on her side (with Ruby's promo badly paling in comparison), only to lose in the end.  It all came off very "one of our own getting buried by a WWE expat again" and i think Ruby is entering the Sammy Zone now.  Sucks because i love the idea of Ruby Soho a ton and she's had great matches elsewhere, but she just hasn't fit in AEW...

Also this means the women's Owen finals might be a buzzkill no matter who wins now.  This tournament has sucked lmao

That's actually kinda cute, bubba :D

But OH MY GOD I did not expect that reaction, considering the crowd was duel chanting for most of the match, before it reached the point they got crazy for Statlander, and for good reasons. Yes, those two last matches are the best Soho matches since she arrived. But Statlander was the standout here, big time, and by the end the crowd was so ready for her to win. Soho getting the pin got a negative pop, with people at ringside going "WTF happened ?". And then as she's cutting a promo on Britt, she gets BOOED OUT OF THE BUILDING, to the point she had to acknowledge it. It only made her promo on Britt even more impossible (it had no point anyway apart from generic "I need to win this tournament!", which Statlander already made fun of before the match). I don't get this booking, especially since we already had this match a few months before and it did not set the world on fire at all. And although Britt is a heel, no way people pop for Soho if she goes over Baker, especially not at this point when she is seemingly losing the crowd. And Baker beating Soho is been there done that. I've said it since the beginning that Soho going to the finals against Baker was a mistake, but damn I did not expect *this*. The good thing is that Statlander seems to have found herself, she has looked much better than she did before. Baker coming out with a Jack Sparrow T-shirt was certainly a choice...

Young Bucks cosplaying the Hardies was typical Bucks greatness. Cutler as "Amy Dumas" was a sight to see. Not to mention *that* cameo, that was pretty unexpected (well, he has appeared on the show not long ago, in a very different context).

So, we actually are getting a 6 person mixed tag, as it's Sammy & Kazarian (who was a babyface two weeks ago) & Tay vs Page & Scorp & PVZ. Well, at least it should be fun, but good luck to get any heat before Tay & PVZ hook it up.

And we also get Darby vs KOR, because... Not complaining about the match, because it should be excellent at worst, but... talk about thrown at the last minute. And no FTR, not even against the United Empire (which I guess is gonna be at Forbidden Door).

That's 11 matches. Plus the pre-show one. That's a lot. That's too much. Afraid some may not get the time they deserve because of it.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

That's 11 matches. Plus the pre-show one. That's a lot. That's too much. Afraid some may not get the time they deserve because of it.

To be honest, I'll take 4 or 5 of those matches going short than all them getting at least 8-14 minutes. If the last card felt way too long and had the crowd very spent by the 2nd hour (3 if you count the pre show)-and with a better build up than this one-, I don't think Chicago can keep it up for 4-5 hours with the way most of the people in AEW work. At least they are gonna save themselves for the main event but man, I thought people would've learned from WM and NXT that this superlong, full of workrate shows are not the way to go...