Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2023 aka 30 years of pointing at sign as Mania main event booking

El-P

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

The Saudi deal is gross, but lol. The reason Sami isn't main eventing Wrestlemania (as of right now, at least) is because it was a short term angle that caught on unexpectedly. You might have noticed he never main evented WM before the Saudi deal, either. 

Sami isn't going to be THE guy. He will point this out himself. He does not have "the look" a top guy in WWE in all eras has to have. However, that doesn't mean he can't be a top face, in the same way as Mick Foley and Daniel Bryan weren't THE guys but were absolutely integral to their eras, and have a great title win moment. Or just score a win over Roman without the titles involved at all. 

And none of that - none of it - paints WWE in a favorable light. Instead, it shows that they're still - once again, as always, business as usual - a rigid, inflexible company that forces its own agenda while ignoring the hot hand they've been dealt organically over and over and over again.

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

FOX won't offer (x) million dollars in the next TV rights deal on the proviso they get Sami Zayn. The tugs-of-war are over Brock, Roman, Charlotte, Ronda and the (small) gang. This is not a hot-take.

Potential buyers want funken Hogan before they want Sami, they want the possibility of the Rock, they want WrestleMania - they ain't buying it for Sami Zayn, even if he is the four thousandth D-list celebrity to have a charity (hi, Damar!).

So, they're buying for it Cody?

Look, I love Cody - probably more than anyone on this board - but really?!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

So, they're buying for it Cody?

Look, I love Cody - probably more than anyone on this board - but really?!

Nope. Not yet, at least. They are buying it for the names bubba Dav'Oh listed: Lesnar, Roman, Charlotte, Ronda, and I'd add Becky.

Codester is in the same situation as Sami, at least in this moment: top babyface, but not face of the company. One you could put on top of the card, but not necessarily THE spokesperson for WWE.

31 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Nope. Not yet, at least. They are buying it for the names bubba Dav'Oh listed: Lesnar, Roman, Charlotte, Ronda, and I'd add Becky.

Codester is in the same situation as Sami, at least in this moment: top babyface, but not face of the company. One you could put on top of the card, but not necessarily THE spokesperson for WWE.

Which invalidates Dav'oh's point that Sami would be a bad idea for those reasons when Cody is the other option for that spot. 

21 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Which invalidates Dav'oh's point that Sami would be a bad idea for those reasons when Cody is the other option for that spot. 

Not quite, bubba. Remarks about Sami's physical appearance aside, what he said about Sami does apply to Cody. It's not about being the central piece of the Narrative of ongoing storylines. Networks want their Lesnars and Rouseys, even when are not exactly the most prevalent faces on TV.

Mick Foley was a top babyface in WWE, but the faces of the company were The Rock and Austin, no questions about it. Sami is very similar to Foley not only in card position, but as someone who can evoke sympathy with those puppy eyes.

Cody *could* get there, but he is not the top guy. Same goes for Gunther. He is at worst the #2 heel on the company right now but he is not the #2 guy.

Argue about Cody all you want, but Roman/Sami is the hottest thing this company has by a mile. Him hitting Roman with a chair got an Attitude Era level pop, and his otherworldly ability to gain babyface sympathy makes this a "how are you not fucking making this the WM main event?" level situation. 

Yeah, you can knock Sami all you want too but even Austin was just some schlub feuding with Savio on the pre show of PPVs until Austin 3:16 caught fire. The company was smart enough then to ride the hot hand that fell into their lap to the biggest money earning period in company history. I'm not saying Sami would ever reach that level, but goddamn you got a molten crowd who couldn't possibly make it clearer this is what they want to see and it's like this company hates making money. 

Also I just was thinking about it, and doing Roman/Sami in Montreal is dumb since it pretty much telegraphs Sami isn't winning and I can't imagine that is going to go over well with the crowd. Cody getting crowned as the company choice while the guy the crowd wants getting jobbed out is such a rehash of the Daniel Bryan stuff it's hilarious. 

2 hours ago, Strummer said:

Meltzer in his update today says Roman v Sami for the title is the plan for Elimination Chamber 

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Also I just was thinking about it, and doing Roman/Sami in Montreal is dumb since it pretty much telegraphs Sami isn't winning and I can't imagine that is going to go over well with the crowd. 

If they job Sami in Montreal of all places after this, they are still the biggest idiots ever.

So, Cody points at sign, goes to Mania and gets the ultimate rub.

It tells a whole lot that after years and years of "developmental", the guy who will end up beating Roman Reigns is a guy *they did not* make a star themselves. Even more ironic, at the very point where they actually have that babyface star that got over on their own watch (of course, being a product of the indies, like Danielson & Punk before, but still). And they still gonna go with "the AEW guy" (you can twist it anyway you want it, if Cody comes back to WWE after his stints in IMPACT and ROH, there's no way they see him as anything of a bigger deal he was before he left, as experience showed, AEW is the only reason why Cody came back with the status and pull he got). Not that I think Cody is taking Roman's spot at all as the Ace (and face) of the company, but he has the biggest shot ever getting that close.

By the way, the men's Rumble having no surprise reminds me that Bronson Reed just resigned. A few months ago, he was beating Okada in the G1 and then main eventing against him. He shows up to be the fucking Miz heater. He wasn't even in the Rumble where he could have shined. No Eric Young either (I mean, if Chelsea Green was there, why not Eric Young, at least it would have been a cool little surprise return). Really a dull Rumble on that aspect. Nia Jax returning is still the funniest (well, from my perspective when it's like I'm safe from harm) thing though. Of all people.

5 hours ago, C.S. said:

a rigid, inflexible company that forces its own agenda while ignoring the hot hand they've been dealt organically over and over and over again.

How is Sami getting over not part of the WWE's own agenda? They've crafted the entire story and his role in it. I mean give the rigid, inflexible company some credit. Yeesh.

13 minutes ago, Champagne said:

How is Sami getting over not part of the WWE's own agenda? They've crafted the entire story and his role in it. I mean give the rigid, inflexible company some credit. Yeesh.

They did that so well they created their hottest angle in decades, yet somehow it's not good enough to main event Wrestlemania because....reasons. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here that no one else seems to see how silly that it. 

Uncle Paul got a lot of goodwill just by not doing the dumb things Vince would do, but putting Cody over the hot hand would go a long way to ending a lot of that.

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

They did that so well they created their hottest angle in decades, yet somehow it's not good enough to main event Wrestlemania because....reasons. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here that no one else seems to see how silly that it. 

Uncle Paul got a lot of goodwill just by not doing the dumb things Vince would do, but putting Cody over the hot hand would go a long way to ending a lot of that.

Who decided main eventing Wrestlemania against Roman was the only acceptable outcome for Sami and anything else would be a waste?

If Sami beats Roman, he's no longer what made him so beloved. Tougher to draw sympathy as the overdog, unless they Mikey Whipwreck his reign. Or Tommy Rich it.

15 minutes ago, sek69 said:

somehow it's not good enough to main event Wrestlemania

It is weird, because generally capitalism makes the most of a person's potential. The WWE even operates outside of capitalism's rules, as few as there are, because FYTY (see Unusual Board/Share Structure).

22 minutes ago, Champagne said:

Who decided main eventing Wrestlemania against Roman was the only acceptable outcome for Sami and anything else would be a waste?

The crowd did when they popped like Austin just showed up when Sami hit him with the chair, and again when Roman got nuclear heat for killing him in return.  When you have a program getting that kind of reaction you normally want the blowoff to be on the largest stage possible. 

I feel like this is another example of WWE Brain where after 100+ years of professional wrestling  now suddenly you have people like "Well Actually you don't want to have your hottest program main eventing your biggest show".

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

I feel like this is another example of WWE Brain where after 100+ years of professional wrestling  now suddenly you have people like "Well Actually you don't want to have your hottest program main eventing your biggest show".

This. The idea that Sami Zayn would *lose* something if he beat Reigns at Mania for the titles is amazing. What the fuck. And it's not like it means Sami has to become the face of the company. He won't. But he's a made man after this. Like Foley was when he beat The Rock. He can lose the title in 3 months after this. But this is the match the audience wants to see now. Not Sami & KO vs the Usos.

Cody's story has *nothing* to do with Reigns. He can win '"the title that his father never won" (talk about a bullshit story BTW, like it mattered one bit to Dusty Rhodes when he jumped after fucking up Crockett's territory with his shitty egoistical booking) at any point against anyone. So they'll build a pissant story in two months for Cody and Reigns just for Mania when you have one of their greatest angle ever leading to a logical blow-off at the right moment, with the right timing and the audience begging for it ? And people are gonna argue about that because of Sami's beard or because "but WWE said" ? WWE has done so much damage to people's mind, it's crazy.

How WWE can do what it wants while still keeping the fans happy:

* Zayn-Reigns at Elimination Chamber in Montreal, winds up with Zayn looking like he can win but Temporarily Good Uso turns against him.

* Night One of Mania ends with Zayn/Owen beating the Usos for the tag belts. 

* Night Two of Mania is Rhodes-Reigns with a mid-match section where the Bloodline are doing loads of interference but Zayn and Uso run them off, leaving Rhodes to finish a fair one-on-one match.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

This. The idea that Sami Zayn would *lose* something if he beat Reigns at Mania for the titles is amazing. What the fuck. And it's not like it means Sami has to become the face of the company. He won't. But he's a made man after this. Like Foley was when he beat The Rock. He can lose the title in 3 months after this. But this is the match the audience wants to see now. Not Sami & KO vs the Usos.

Cody's story has *nothing* to do with Reigns. He can win '"the title that his father never won" (talk about a bullshit story BTW, like it mattered one bit to Dusty Rhodes when he jumped after fucking up Crockett's territory with his shitty egoistical booking) at any point against anyone. So they'll build a pissant story in two months for Cody and Reigns just for Mania when you have one of their greatest angle ever leading to a logical blow-off at the right moment, with the right timing and the audience begging for it ? And people are gonna argue about that because of Sami's beard or because "but WWE said" ? WWE has done so much damage to people's mind, it's crazy.

This board needs a like feature.

Shifting course to Sami main eventing Mania and dethroning Roman would absolutely be the right call 99 percent of the time. But Roman's title reign at this point is like Goldberg and Undertaker's streaks. You only get one shot at putting someone over with it, so you have to make it count. If you're going to end it, it has to be to someone who can carry the company for the long haul and not just to pay off a particular storyline. Sami can get his revenge later on down the road.