Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Revolution 2023

KawadaSmile

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It being tequila is not really the point. I guess you could say little children shouldn't be watching a graphical product anyway, but at the same time the event being violent does not mean heels can throw drinks at fans who are just watching the action, and even moreso that said fans should enjoy it.

It's not even the same as a fan bringing in an "MJF stinks" sign, and Max tearing it after proper first row interaction.

My thing is, if MJF is willing to do that, then don't act surprised when a pissed off fan claps back and all hell breaks loose in the future. That's the kind of thing those antics are looking for anyways, to have that kind of "heat", so either stop it right there or live with the consequences.

I think AEW did enough with that kid so that people can leave it alone though, it wasn't a fireable offense in my book.

The only thing I'll say about the throwing drink thing is that, after seeing the takes out there on how "that's just for heel heat / that's old school heat getting", I'm just wondering when in the history of pro wrestling has heel work involved intentionally getting into a physical altercation with a kid where it hadn't been cleared beforehand.

1 hour ago, El Boricua said:

The only thing I'll say about the throwing drink thing is that, after seeing the takes out there on how "that's just for heel heat / that's old school heat getting", I'm just wondering when in the history of pro wrestling has heel work involved intentionally getting into a physical altercation with a kid where it hadn't been cleared beforehand.

Everyone thought it was amazing when Sasha yanked Izzy's headband off and broke it in the ring and made her cry. 

Anyway, fucking dying at Christian managing to still wear a (sleeveless) turtleneck to a buried alive match. Absolute legend.

41 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

It was five seconds out of...four thousand and fifty seconds. 0.12% of the match. It shouldn't overshadow a magnificent performance from both men. The kid was protected by his hoodie. He'll live.

I don't think it should take away from the match.  But it should have consequences for MJF and AEW as a business.

Christian was great in that match. The man's a master. 

Very good PPV with a fantastic main event.

Going in, it looked like a good card but the build had probably been the worst of any AEW PPV I can recall. Honestly, despite plenty of strong matches on TV lately I think AEW has been a bit of a mess for a while now.

However, almost every match delivered or overdelivered. Great to see FTR back. Lots of hints to suggest that Punk may be next. I liked the trend of the younger guys going over the more established stars. Starks, Perry and Hayter are all headed in the right direction. They've got some work to do to rehabilitate Wardlow but this could be the first step. House of Black finally get a big time win.

I even enjoyed the women's post-match angle - and this programme has not been great. I'd like to see Jade Cargill join the AEW originals/loyalists. They've kept her away from the women involved in the main title picture almost entirely I think. It would be a cool moment she got involved in this.

In the Texas Deathmatch, there was quite a bit I liked and quite a bit I didn't. I'm definitely not as high on it as a lot of people I've seen. 

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

It was five seconds out of...four thousand and fifty seconds. 0.12% of the match. It shouldn't overshadow a magnificent performance from both men. The kid was protected by his hoodie. He'll live.

The match itself isn't necessarily worse because of it, but yeah, throwing a drink at an unsuspecting kid is going to overshadow most damn matches, it is what it is. Maybe down the line it becomes memorable because of it, even, but there are certain things your wrestlers should know better - your World Champ, more specifically. 

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

Everyone thought it was amazing when Sasha yanked Izzy's headband off and broke it in the ring and made her cry. 

Wasn't Izzy part of Bayley's narrative to the top by that point? 

21 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Wasn't Izzy part of Bayley's narrative to the top by that point? 

Kind of, she was just sort of the avatar to represent "Bayley is for the children". Either way the Sasha deal was unplanned, so even if Izzy was part of the story she wasn't clued in to that happening. 

Just now, sek69 said:

Kind of, she was just sort of the avatar to represent "Bayley is for the children". Either way the Sasha deal was unplanned, so even if Izzy was part of the story she wasn't clued in to that happening. 

If so, Sasha did worse. Izzy and her parents (the true culprits) started getting over and thinking they were hot shit.

23 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

If so, Sasha did worse. Izzy and her parents (the true culprits) started getting over and thinking they were hot shit.

Yeah, Izzy herself said it was unplanned and Sasha apologized to her after the event ended, Sasha ended up giving Izzy flowers. Although as you mention, Izzy was tangentially involved in the narrative of Bayley's story and a known entity / not just randomly selected.

In the case of MJF throwing the drink, the incident should be taken as a warning to be a bit more careful on doing things so off the cuff with people who aren't in on it. You never know when you will inadvertently end up picking on the wrong person to do that to. Just minimizes the possibility of things out of your control happening if these intentional things are done with people who are in on it.

3 minutes ago, El Boricua said:

More so than MJF throwing the drink, the incident should be taken as a warning to be a bit more careful on doing things so off the cuff with people who aren't in on it. You never know when you will inadvertently end up picking on the wrong person to do that to. Just minimizes the possibility of things out of your control happening if these intentional things are done with people who are in on it.

This is my takeaway as well. Setting aside running the risk of picking the wrong person, doing anything physical with someone not clued in beforehand just isn't cool. You can do the whole "heel tears up a fan's sign" bit all day, but when you start throwing drinks at unsuspecting people that crosses a line. 

5 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Announce a zero-tolerance policy for unprovoked physical altercations with fans, have MJF apologize privately to the family, and bring them to Dynamite to embarrass him for a cheap pop if they're up for it. Anything beyond that is overkill.

Yeah I can’t really fathom wanting more than this. It’s not like he slapped the kid.

48 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Announce a zero-tolerance policy for unprovoked physical altercations with fans, have MJF apologize privately to the family, and bring them to Dynamite to embarrass him for a cheap pop if they're up for it. Anything beyond that is overkill.

TK has already said that the kid & his family are attending Dynamite this Wednesday in Sacramento.

Christian/Jungle Boi was exactly what it should have been and I hope that wasn't the end of Christian's run because that dude was S-tier heel piece of shit that entire run. A real shame he got the injury when he did. Really put Jungle Boy in limbo for 6 months but also deprived the world of that turtleneck dickhead. 

I loved the finishing sequence in the trios tag title match. The Murphy knee off the springboard into the Black roundhouse kick into the GROSS assisted Greetings from Asbury Park. Everything looked like death there. House of Black look like monsters! Love it.