• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just let Priest cash-in.

Priest vs. Truth at Mania.

It would be another Yes Movement/Kofimania feel good story.

Don't @ at me about how Truth would devalue the belt (newsflash: it has no value) when he's a damn good wrestler.

WrestleMania sells itself, so there's no real reason to worry about the gat or the viewership, but there's the card they wanted to give us and the card we're going to get now and one is clearly "bigger" than the other. Especially on the RAW side.

Losing Rollins was a big hit, but I think the plan was always to build Rollins/Punk with mostly mic work and maybe a pull-apart segment down the line. I think Rollins would've toughed it out to wrestle and drop the title at Mania. Even if he were healthy, I believe we would've seen him in limited action and they probably would've gone the usual route with Punk and Rollins teaming together on various episodes of RAW.

But now with Punk out...that match and the entire build is out the window. It was clearly going to be the anchor of the show for the next 9 weeks. I still think Rollins will wrestle at Mania, but as much as I really like McIntyre's work over the past month (and believe he should beat Seth for the title at Mania), that's just not a program that is at the same level as Punk vs. Rollins.  

Meanwhile, it seems the B-storyline on RAW was going to be Lesnar stalking the Judgment Day, most likely leading to some sort of Lesnar vs. Dom (w/Judgment Day) match not dissimilar to the Brock vs. Wyatt Family match years ago. Lesnar squashes the heels, Dom gets his butt kicked, the crowd goes home happy. I don't think it was going to be some revolutionary or awesome storyline, but Dirty Dom constantly escaping Brock only to get his comeuppance at Mania would've been good. Plus, there was potential with Lesnar and R-Truth getting screen time together over the next few months. That storyline is also out the window. 

To make matters worse, they didn't do shit with Becky Lynch at the Rumble, which was just bad booking. They can heat her up at the Chamber, but hindsight being 20/20, they needed her to be involved with an intriguing drama ASAP, not 3 weeks from now. 

They really should've had Rhea screw Becky out of the Rumble towards the end to make it clear that Rhea is "ducking" Becky. I know that Rhea isn't a cowardly heel, but she's also a villain and a villain should be doing villainous things to the hero. 

The rest of the RAW roster has some really terrific and over performers - Jey Uso, Sami Zayn, Drew has been doing career work, obviously GUNTHER - but most of these acts have been spinning their wheels a little for the past few months, playing side characters in the bigger storylines involving Cody, Seth, and CM Punk. 

Well, with the injuries to both Seth Rollins & C.M. Punk & the promo that he cut pre-Rumble, I don't see any reason to not just do GUNTHER Vs. Seth Rollins & have GUNTHER squash his ass & become World Champion. Then he relinquishes the Intercontinental Title, just like he said he would, so that no one ever beat him for that best with the longest reign ever. Cementing him as the greatest IC Champion of all-time & giving him all the credibility in the world as a top guy. Plus then Seth doesn't have to work a long match hurt. You don't always have to give someone the rub, right? 

Seth should get his hope spot, but Gunther beating his ass in decisive fashion is the way to go, for sure.

I can see Drew vs Punk down the line, really. McIntyre's heel work is just amazing and Punk seems cool with the material, so it could lead to good stuff down the road.

11 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Seth should get his hope spot, but Gunther beating his ass in decisive fashion is the way to go, for sure.

I can see Drew vs Punk down the line, really. McIntyre's heel work is just amazing and Punk seems cool with the material, so it could lead to good stuff down the road.

So, with Cody visibly going for Roman still, why don't they go for a WM VI repeat with Gunther vs Seth? Have Gunther beat Seth to win the title in a Winner Takes All match. Next night on Raw, Gunther forfeits the IC title and we get a tournament heading into Backlash France. I think that'd be pretty neat and furthermore, with Seth not being 100%, you still have a reason for a rematch later in which Gunther can beat Seth more decisively and leave no doubt. Basically, Gunther becomes Seth's Waterloo and the man he must beat to continue "his" story.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Green is not a color for this event. 

Actually, it's all about the obscene money that they are making, so it's pretty fitting. Aesthetically, it's kinda garish in a vomit inducing way, so yeah, I guess not. 

Funny when you think about all the talks about the ecological costs of these ridiculous huge events with fly-in crowds, stuff that were talked about like a relic of the past during the pandemic (you know, when for a second or two there was this thought that maybe we should actually think about what the fuck we are doing with this planet). Honestly, I would be shocked if there was not a Mania in Dubai before long, everything would fit so well (and no, this is not a compliment).

This is certainly gonna be a landmark Mania on many levels. On a strictly pro-wrestling-as-a-craft level, which is the only one I care about, Sami vs Gunther should steal the show.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Those are Eagles colors, my dudes.

I was going to say…not hard to figure out the colour scheme if you know anything American football. The minute I saw the colours I thought “Okay, they’re playing in the Eagles stadium so they’re using their colours. Makes sense.”

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Funny when you think about all the talks about the ecological costs of these ridiculous huge events with fly-in crowds, stuff that were talked about like a relic of the past during the pandemic (you know, when for a second or two there was this thought that maybe we should actually think about what the fuck we are doing with this planet). Honestly, I would be shocked if there was not a Mania in Dubai before long, everything would fit so well (and no, this is not a compliment).

You must be a barrel of laughs when you go to parties.

9 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

You must be a barrel of laughs when you go to parties.

I'm actually funny as fuck IRL, thank you very much.

And yeah, these kind of events (and yeah, so is the Wembley AEW show, although Mania is on a totally different level because of the size of the company) are complete heresy in this day and age.

12 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I was going to say…not hard to figure out the colour scheme if you know anything American football. 

Except it's WrestleMania. Not FootballMania. What's next, JR announcing ? I'm so far fucking removed from this that it took Britt Baker in Pittsburgh covered in black and gold, with a sea of black and gold towels in the audience, to realize that "Oh, ok, so THAT is why Shane Douglas was wearing black and gold too, it's the colors of the city". Better late than never, learn new things everyday.

Exactly, I associate green with Philly because of the Eagles.

I love how WWE embraced the more simple stage for the PLEs now that they are so hot and sell so many tickets. Places look jam packed and they still figured out a way to make the entrances look distinct/special enough.

Funnily enough, I didn't think of the Eagles at first either, even as a huge NFL (and Green Bay Packers) fan. I thought of Triple H, his entrance, his gear, his D-X affiliation & him being the head of creative right now. Even the font looks like the START GAME font from his Titantron. 

I immediately associated the colors with the Eagles. The shade of green used if very distinct, and considering how wildly popular AmFoot is and how WWE likes to hand out their custom-made WWE Titles to players in order to strenghten their brand recognition game, it make sense.

It's the one sport I can see them doing that, too. While Wrestlemania's spectacle came before SuperBowl really amped up their halftime shows and merchandise, the NFL's product is now by far the most rentable event in the world. It's insane how much money revolves around it - and WWE would love to get even half of that revenue.

30 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Funnily enough, I didn't think of the Eagles at first either, even as a huge NFL (and Green Bay Packers) fan. I thought of Triple H, his entrance, his gear, his D-X affiliation & him being the head of creative right now. Even the font looks like the START GAME font from his Titantron. 

I did not think about it at all. Now that you said it, I just can't unsee it. Time to play the game, I guess. 

5 hours ago, El-P said:

Well the planet responded, as there was just earthquake activity reported in NYC and the Philly area.

I get the feeling they'll be doing a spot with one of those letters. Really, I'm just happy WWE is acknowledging the number of Wrestlemanias again, as well as going back to Roman Numerals (Wrestlemanias are how I learned Roman numerals).