WrestleMania 40

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That main event was really fucking fun. I only began watching from the last minutes of the ladder match but Sami/Gunther and Rock/Roman vs Cody/Rollins "saved" the show.

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

Don't know how much of a hot take this is, but Austin-Owens from last year was a better match ("match"?) than this one 

Imagine if Stone GOAT would've put the effort to show up in the build up :(

We still need the glass to shatter tomorrow. Cody gonna need Cena AND Austin to make it a fair fight.

4 minutes ago, MoS said:

Don't know how much of a hot take this is, but Austin-Owens from last year was a better match ("match"?) than this one 

That's a reasonable enough opinion, bubba. Austin was always a better worker than The Rock and showed up in much better shape. Rock is STIFF. He has the mobility of a mineral, and the fact he hasn't torn every single muscle in his body tonight was miraculous.

Considering all the hype and good will heading into this, show was real just fine outside of Gunther/Sami. Surprised Rock did as much as he did and his presentation and literal size made him seem so much bigger than the other 3, which I don't think is great. Finish was lol but of course will only make Cody more over for tomorrow, but extra lol if they rerun the finish from last year and keep Bloodline going.

But also lmao that Rock has been management for 4 months and in that time he: Forced himself into a WM main event, when fans rejected it, he worked around it and still got the WM main event and win over the top face, got his grandma into the HOF, got his own title belt so he could have one to bring out for WM. 

Going back to NXT for a moment, Dragunov might the the best I've ever seen selling a beating since Ricky Morton. Dude looks like he's legit being killed to death in every match.

Wrestling logic/continuity is so unique. The guy who lost to Johnny Knoxville is the one to end the two-year title reign of a wrestling juggernaut. The best match on paper was indeed the MOTN but requires a rewatch to really assess the quality since the finishing stretch and surprise title change threw me off.

The main event took a while to get going (typical of the Tribal Chief era), but picked up big time after they started attacking Seth's knee. I thought everyone played their part well, particularly the Rock with the heel act. The stereo pedigrees after the off-target spear got me for a second. The final shots echoing the ending of Wrestlemania 39 were neat and set things up nicely for the big finale tomorrow.

5 hours ago, MoS said:

WWE owns essentially all footage in US wrestling from the 60s to today, considering the storylines with Cody/Roman/Bloodline, it actually is kind of strange they aren't exploiting the hell out of that footage for the match. There's so much footage of generations of family matches between Rhodes and Anoa'i from Dusty vs Wild Samoans up to Cody/Goldy vs Shield and Cody vs Roman.

Am I the only one here who thought the main event was way, way, WAY too long? The first 25 minutes or so were a complete slog. I am shocked however, that the Rock made it through without ripping apart every muscle in his body. My favorite moment of the match was Rock dropping an f-bomb and the TV director muting something 10 seconds later.

I thought the show was fine in total, some people are shitting on the Usos collision, I thought that match was okay enough. Though I wonder who thought that putting Naomi on Wrestlemania was a good idea. She has got to be the worst worker on the main roster. I guess she blew less stuff than at the Rumble, still, she should not be on national television let alone on a Wrestlemania main show.

Rhea/Becky was brought to you by Dude Wipes so I wouldn't look too much into it. WWE is ultra ad based now, to the point where every match has a different sponsor on all LEDs. Plus now the mat and buckle pads. Even peak WCW "sponsored by" whatever, I don't recall so much aggressive advertising.

I would love to know how much Wheatley paid on this show, that ad was on every break (unless you sub to the double special premium on Peacock) for 6 fucking hours, including a match where it was on all the LEDs, had a corner graphic, and had announcers talking about it.

15 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Am I the only one here who thought the main event was way, way, WAY too long?

I went to bed right before the main event started. I wasn't expecting it to be any good from an in-ring standpoint and the outcome was a foregone conclusion, so I didn't need to see it live. I figured I could watch it in the morning if it got positive reviews. When I saw it went 45, I immediately noped out.

It was definitely way too long, filled with the worst tropes of modern main event WWE style like unbearable monologues/dialogues, contrived face-offs, unnatural breaks in action, etc. I still ended up enjoying it, and thought it was fun and particularly enjoyed Rock and also Cody. The double pedigree nearfall and The Rock hitting Rollins in the balls were my favourite bits of the match 

I enjoyed the show.  I don’t really pay attention to the TV or anything at the moment (I believe the only thing I have seen was when Rock beat up Cody in back and said fuck a bunch of times and talked about Mama Rhodes).  Sami/Gunther was pretty easily my favorite thing - especially Sami’s montage and entrance and whole Rocky story.  I thought Rock was looking and moving way better than he did in the Cena matches and that the main was fine.

1 hour ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

I haven’t had a chance to watch yet but what title did The Rock have? Was it given a name?

That was presented to him by Muhammad Ali’s Widow at the HOF. It is the official title of “The People’s Champ” which is a moniker that The Rock “took” from Ali in 1998 (with permission.)

My gripe with the main event is that it just should've been a brawl from the get go. They filled almost 10 minutes doing basic shit and then it broke down into having no rules after a very awkward moment were all four men were just standing in the ring bickering.