Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He said it, but was very clear the two weren't comparable. He was pretty much thinking out loud whether any other MSG shows sold out so quickly, concluded it was probably only Wrestle Manias, but certainly not the first one.

He also made clear that you can't really compare shows now with online pre-sales to those in the past, though it is fair to compare it with sales patterns for big WWE shows which use a similar system.

Bryan has been clearly a source for Dave when it comes to any stories related to him - a bunch of times Dave would report something and then days later Bryan would say the exact same thing on an interview - so I wonder why can't Dave talk about it. I guess it will really be a part of his Summerslam match and they want to keep the fans guessing/speculating? I have a hard time seeing D-Bry not staying in WWE.

13 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Did Dave actually write/ say that the ROH show sold out MSG faster than WrestleMania 1 did? Cause that's fucking hilarious. It's like a tag line from a critic on a movie poster that once examined, makes no sense. Yes, I'm sure it did sell out faster. Those internet speeds in 1984 were slow as fuck. 

I also doubt that scalpers were much into wrestling tickets in the mid 80ies.

1 hour ago, Robert S said:

I also doubt that scalpers were much into wrestling tickets in the mid 80ies.

I'm not sure about that. I would wager something like Wrestlemania I had a lot of scalpers, at least for the time (the ease of acquisition and sale has certainly made them a bigger issue over the last 30+ years).

On 8/12/2018 at 10:23 PM, Fando said:

From today's WOR, on the G1:

"My favorite match, my personal favorite match, which is not even close to the highest rated match that I have, but my favorite match was the Okada and Tanahashi match on Friday. I just thought that that was wonderful...perfect pacing, great story, I never worried about anyone for one second, all I kept thinking is these guys are so freakin great, they're at a different level of...anyone...you can count on one hand the number of people that are on the level of these guys."

Couldn't agree more. It was a wonderful match. And it struck me too how safe it looks, especially compared to those crazy Ibushi matches. Well, the G1 as a whole was simply terrific, although I don't think any match approached Naito vs Omega from last year.

8 hours ago, Migs said:

I'm not sure about that. I would wager something like Wrestlemania I had a lot of scalpers, at least for the time (the ease of acquisition and sale has certainly made them a bigger issue over the last 30+ years).

The first Wrestlemania gained most of its ticket sales the day of and the day before the show, so I imagine there was a lot of scalping going on by the time Sunday rolled around.

12 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

The first Wrestlemania gained most of its ticket sales the day of and the day before the show, so I imagine there was a lot of scalping going on by the time Sunday rolled around.

I'm not sure I ever heard the details on this - what caused the late rush?

16 hours ago, Bix said:

Aren't all of the stories about the late demand about the closed circuit locations?

From when I looked into it years ago it's not to say that MSG had an empty house before the weekend rush, but there was definitely a bump increase that was different from typical MSG Monday show last minute increases, which is a granted given since it was a special show.  Otherwise yes, that history tidbit mostly has to do with closed circuit locations.  But even MSG had a faster last minute bump than usual.  I woonder if being on a Sunday was a huge factor, as it was only the second Sunday MSG show in awhile--they would tend to fall on Mondays (March 17th, 1985 being an exception as it was a St. Patrick's Day show.  Before then, the last Sunday matinee show was March 25th, 1984).

MSG crowds were weird sometimes though--The Brawl to End It All (July 23rd, 1984) wasn't a sellout and there's no way that many people decided to just watch MTV or MSG Network that day.  And that's a weirdly notable show to not sellout otherwise.

There used to be a list somewhere with all of the 1980s MSG shows and their ticket sales and I'm curious just how many of those shows were genuine sellouts and how many weren't.

He's talking about her main roster implants. Actually, not talking about them since he made sure to say nothing overtly, probably out of fear of this type of uproar.

I'm not getting the fury. Beth Phoenix and Charlotte Flair are angry on Twitter at him now too.

Are we pretending WWE wasn't a total looks based female performer company for the majority of its time as a modern promotion? And even with the new "revolution" still is pushing two skinny blondes as the champs? 

Dave literally barely touched upon that aspect, made sure to tip-toe and while I understand annoyance or disappointment, I'm not following the anger.

Someone tell Jake Nazar to update his article.

He's obviously talking about the implants, same way he talked around Cena's physique change just beforehand (Alvarez: "He's really ripped but he still has a gut." Dave: "Well we know why that is." Alvarez: "Why?" Dave: "...because he's 40.") but his cryptic comments are too easy to misinterpret if taken out of context. If he had just said "she looked better before the boob job" I'm sure some would have still been upset but he wouldn't have sounded like such a body-shamer. Now you're going to see all sorts of prominent people in wrestling jumping in, the Prichard and Russo trolls going after him, it's going to make the front page of Yahoo, and Dave is going to handle the criticism very, very badly.

Ok, let's be real now : working for WWE and making "feminist" statements is fucking hysterical, really. Getting a paycheck paid by the sweet Saudi Arabia money (you know what I mean, in the grand scheme of things) yet playing Twitter outrage because someone talked about diet regime (in context, right after they talked about Cena) ?  Get your priority right. The amazing hypocrisy.

And yeah, let's have another ten pages of useless Meltz bashing and dick stroking (because 99% of the people speaking here are males anyway) "look at me being so socially aware and angry" contest.

:rolleyes:

(Twitter should be wiped out of this planet, it seems to affect the IQ of people)

Oh, gotta add, must love the personal judgement on someone she doesn't know at the end. Meanwhile, her boss has been accused of sexual harrasment and rape in the past. The company she works for has celebrated a guy who probably killed his girlfriend as a hero on TV no longer than last year. Jerry Lawler, who got away with murder (well, rape on underage, actually) is still employed and presented as a legend.

But Dave Meltzer making a remark about diet  deserves outrage ? No. Fuck all the hypocrites.

I get the aversion to hyperbolic Dave talk and I really don't intend this to be a part of that (though I recognize it might still come across that way.

I just don't get why people care anymore.  I don't listen to his show and I haven't read anything outside an obit he has written in at least 5 years. I rarely even swing by this thread, but I do run across his tweets sometimes and aside from his status being a tradition I really have trouble seeing why he is still all that relevant. My general impression is that he doesn't provide all that much insider knowledge anymore. It sort of feels like he could get just about as much "right" by guessing. His star ratings don't serve as a guide as much as they just function to create buzz for certain matches/events, making him more or less a - willing or not - advertisement for certain promotions and people. He is pretty good at riling people up but it isn't THAT provocative. Rather he is just sort of provocative in the way your old weird uncle might be on holidays. I mean he just posted an apology and he leads with basically "I am sorry. You are attractive". Dude is legit clueless.

I completely get that he has a history in wrestling is somewhat important, but I just have so much trouble wrapping my head around why people care about what he says anymore (at least any more or less than the average person writing and talking about wrestling with a modicum of a following.  And this isn't even about this statement. I found it distasteful and think that any remotely self aware person would be working to talk about wrestling in general and women's wrestling in 2018 with a little more care, but his crassness here pales in comparison to his irrelevance to me.  I don't love him or hate him, I just don't care.

The pile-on by WWE personnel to show what good drones they are was amazing to watch just now, particularly Finlay calling Dave a "parasite" (Nothing problematic there, no!) and Bischoff retweeting for the lulz. And not one would publicly criticize anything done by the company, even as recently as the Nia Jax and Mickie James bullshit, and definitely not the Saudi contract which gave them their Evolution PPV while women activists are being jailed.

I don't think its too much to say a journalist shouldn't awkwardly publicly comment about a woman's fake breasts, her weight or her attractiveness (whichever weird point Meltzer was cryptically trying to make). In the scheme of things you are right its not criminal like many of the things that have on in wrestling, its just weird and inappropriate. 

40 minutes ago, joeg said:

I honestly think the guy may be on the spectrum. He never seems to say anything bad or malicious, but he constantly says awkward things in a public forum that really should really only be said in private if at all.

37 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Please, not another 10 page analysis of Dave Meltzer's psychological state 

Like, I know being an Internet Armchair Doctor is bad, but there does seem to be a LOT of evidence that indicates Dave doesn't seem to have much ability to understand how his comments are going to be interpreted by others.  This is the number one thing the trolls jump on, and he just keeps doing it over and over. At some point you have to assume he either is on the spectrum and doesn't realize it or he just doesn't give a shit. For some reason mentioning the possiblity seems to trigger (in the non alt-right sense) a lot of people, like it would somehow be a bad thing if Dave was somehow neuroatypical. I have family that are on the spectrum, and honestly there's a lot of similarities. Being obsessive with numbers, having to correct people, not being aware of social cues and awkward conversation....it's not a stretch. I know discussions like this can go sideways, but it seems like just the very mention of the possibity seems to upset people rather than the discussion can.