Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-01-WWF-Raw] Billionaire Ted

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One character was Russo ? Amazing, I never knew. Which one was he ?

Nameless suit.

I always felt like it was a missed opportunity and lack of attention to detail to use actors with such New Yawk voices, when that wasn't the culture in WCW at all. Part of the purpose of these skits was supposed to be to make fun of WCW's Southern leanings.

There's probably an interesting discussion to be had about the WWF hate of the South, considering that both Vince and his wife are from North Carolina.

I always saw it as Vince trying to distance himself from his past. Funny thing is that despite that, he seems to have a fondness for Southern-based gimmicks. When he was an announcer, he always seemed way more excited to see Hillbillies and rednecks more than anyone else. Who else would have come up with a gimmick like Jimmy Wang Yang and kept it around as long as they did?

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed that it isn't funny, but this first skit doesn't appear to be as mean spirited as some have expressed looking back. I was 12 or so when these first came out so though I remember them I did not take the time to analyze them. Truth be told I always found them boring and worthless. This simply goes about explaining the differences between the WWF and WCW. Although the New Generation had been fueled by Diesel power for awhile, I see this as a big step in turning towards a new generation of fan. The WWF had a long way to go to get where that New Generation of fan was at, which they reached in the Attitude Era. I am curious to see if these skits turn real nasty as time goes by.

• 1 year later...

Yeah by the time they did the "big" end to these skits at Wrestlemania it was already known that 2 of the guys they were most proud of were gonna be leaving.

People give Bischoff a lot of (deserved) criticism for his petty swiping at the WWF but they did a lot of the same shit even years later, when they had all but won, with the DX invasions and stuff.

• 4 months later...

Russo as Turner middle management is pretty funny if only because his New York accent is so apparent. I didn't watch wrestling for a few years up through mid-96, so this is my first time seeing these skits. This first one is more silly than mean, which I had read they were.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the time, I thought it was overdue for the WWF to try to respond in some fashion. It was almost too insulting to keep pretending that WCW wasn't competition. This is actually a pretty effective, to-the-point first step. Of course it would go on too long and two of the WWF guys shown in the clips would be doing those fancy maneuvers in WCW in a matter of months.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-01-01-WWF-Raw] Billionaire Ted
  • 3 years later...