Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-01-CMLL] Cien Caras & Mascara Ano 2000 & Sangre Chicana vs Konnan & Perro Aguayo & Rayo de Jalisco Jr

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

The entrances alone are outstanding.

Anyway, this went on the yearbook because it was given ****3/4 in Steve Sims' old lucha newsletter.

It's a pretty wild, all-over-the-place brawl that reminds me in some ways of the trios matches right after the Santo turn in '96. This is what I imagine War Games being like with these guys, only there is no cage.

The rudos dominate long enough and convincingly enough that you really get the sense of trouble and danger. Cien Caras has become one of my favorite wrestlers courtesy of this and the '93 yearbook -- he just seems like a miserable fuck, and good for him.

Konnan is laid out going into the third fall (which is really too bad), and Caras does his best to keep him that way by taking him to the arena floor and choking him out. Eventually, we do get a scattered technicos comeback, and it's a pretty great because they built the heat for so long. There is some great action in the closing minutes, with Konnan even being surprisingly not horrible. Not quite decent, but better than horrible. I wouldn't have minded some blood to accompany all the hate, but this is a solid MOTYC all the same. Love the announcer getting smothered in the Rayo/Ano brawl in the crowd. Chicana finally brings it home for the rudos with a left hook!

• 4 weeks later...

Totally hate filled brawl. The rudos reallly built the heat. I don't usually LOL but this bout made me do it. Chicana was getting his ass beat down. They grab him and start to drag him away from the fans. He then grabs one of the fans legs and he begins to get dragged with Chicana even though he is desperately trying to get away.

• 8 months later...

Totally hate filled brawl. The rudos reallly built the heat. I don't usually LOL but this bout made me do it. Chicana was getting his ass beat down. They grab him and start to drag him away from the fans. He then grabs one of the fans legs and he begins to get dragged with Chicana even though he is desperately trying to get away.

Haha, that moment was so great.

This is amazing, great reckless and wild brawl. This just goes two falls, and it does a great job at getting over the rudos. Dr. Alfonso Morales is talking about how Cien Caras had talked before the match that he was more interested in fucking up Konnan to the point of retiring him than actually winning the match.

I love how Cien Caras pinned Konnan with one finger, that was so neat. Some good post shots from these guys, Rayo De Jalisco ate some without even blocking them. I usually dig Caras and think he's one of the greatest of all pro wrestling stars (amazing charisma and presence), but I dug Sangre Chicana the most in this. He was eating everyone's shots in such an aesthetically pleasing manner. Also, him slipping on the apron unintentionally was amusing. Enjoyed the way the end of the 2nd fall played out and how the final showdown between Sangre Chicana and Pedro Aguayo went. That final hail mary somersault bump Aguayo look like it took everything out of Aguayo. Loved that Chicana won with a left hook. Epic brawl.

• 1 month later...

Konnan hasn't been good in anything I've seen him in, but I thought his role was basically perfect here. Cien Caras was awesome, yeah. The constant pull-up pins were such a dickhead move and he looks like the most trailer-park wanker. I want to show this to people who haven't liked lucha. I can't imagine a wrestling fan watching this and not liking it.

• 1 month later...

I thought the first fall was insane. Just loved it. They just brawl outside the ring the whole time and into the crowd. They went into the ring for like a minute and then head back outside again. There is no railing/barrier in front of the crowd so they are practically fighting on top of the crowd. Was totally cracking up with Chicana was trying to escape into the crowd and ended up dragging a fan a long the floor. The fan just popped up and ran off. Just great wild chaos going on. Got to the point though where after the first fall, I completely lost tracking of what the hell was going on. Completely missed the second fall. Will have to go back and watch this one again some time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Awesome ring entrances -- best on the year so far -- are followed by a ridiculous hot opening with everyone brawling all over the place and an MA2K dive onto Aguayo. Caras pinning Konnan with one finger to take the first fall was such a great heel move. I know Caras got no love as a worker in the WON during this period but man does he ever play the role to perfection.

The second fall sees more of a heel beatdown until the faces turn the table with Rayo tearing up MA2K's mask. The finish with a big hook by Chicana was great, but I didn't quite follow why Konnan just stood there and watched it happen.

****1/4

• 4 months later...

Ditto on the ring entrances and everything else. I can't explain precisely why, but the image of Rayo looking stoically at the camera from under his sombrero as "Eye of the Tiger" played in the background is fucking awesome. Aguayo looks like somebody's jolly Mexican grandpa, which is a hilarious image in the face of how he's worked before and how this match goes.

The match? It's lucha meets Memphis and it's fucking incredible. Yet despite all the chaos this is easily the most structured "heat->comeback" layout of any lucha match on the Yearbooks. Plus there are three individual match-ups that all get focus, between Konnan/Caras, Rayo/Ano 2000, and Aguayo/Chicana. Aguayo gets Misawa'd on the floor at some point and Rayo gets lost in the rows of chairs, and Konnan is beaten down unmercifully with Caras constantly yanking him up at two, just because he's a fucking cocksucker. Konnan does a shockingly good Ricky Morton sympathy sell here, and eventually Caras puts an exclamation point on the fall by pinning him with a pinky finger. The second fall reigns in a bit of the crazy brawling and gets a little more traditionally worked, but it's still pretty spectacular. Ano 2000 eliminates Rayo, but instead of going straight to the finish proper the match goes on after that, with an attempted technico comeback that ends when Aguayo misses a somersault senton off the top. Chicana levels him with a fantastic left hook and the rudos win in two straight! As much as I've loved Los Cowboys, WCW needed to leave one of them at home and bring in Chicana so he and Michael Hayes could just spend 7 minutes trading rights and lefts with each other. That would have earned Match of the Night honors at the Clash.

This should serve as another gateway drug for those itchy about getting into lucha, as I was for years. Six guys beating the shit out of each other should appeal to everybody, and there can't be any complaints about the somewhat contrived nature of how the falls end (i.e., two quick falls and a long third, or everyone on a team always getting beaten at once). Different in just about every way from the Casas/Cowboys trios but probably as good. In the running for MOTY.

• 3 months later...

Man is this a total blast. Just a wild crazy brawl between six really over charismatic crazy guys. Aguyao v. Chicana is like the Lawler v. Dundee of lucha, you always want to see those guys tear after each other, Chicana had this wild half concussed selling where he took these cool lose his balance bumps, including a neat one off the apron. This was also by far the best Konan performance I have seen. He actually looked like a competent professional wrestling, brawling looked good, bumped well, hit all of his stuff. This isn't the kind of thing which people might seek out on paper, especially back in the early days of internet fandom, when all of these guys were shit on by Meltzer and Bob Barnett, but this was awesome and right up there with the better trios brawls on the 80s set.

• 1 month later...

A wild brawl that went all over the arena. Lucha meets Memphis is very apt, all that was needed was Cien Caras carrying a chair with Konnan's name on it. I enjoyed this a lot more than previous lucha matches, the storyline just made more sense to me I guess. I'd like to see more of Sangre Chicana, he was fun to watch. I laughed when they played a replay of him falling off the apron. Konnan's physique really stood out, as did Aguayo's forehead.

• 10 months later...

Given that I hate brawling tornado trios in Lucha, this was one of the better examples of the genre. Even with the godawful Konnan involved. It took a while for me to come to like any of the brawling style and that only extends to singles. It's fun up to a certain point but always seems to get bogged down and messy. When I'm screening trios to download off youtube I'll look at the names first, the duration second and then check to see if they're wrestling or fighting. If you enjoy the style then good for you as it sure isn't hard to find.

• 1 year later...

A word to the wise: Don't ever make statements like: "If you're a wrestling fan, you'll like this match". I consider myself a wrestling fan, and I didn't like this match at all. It took me almost the entire first fall to figure who was who, since the wild start almost everyone else seemed to like meant that there were no ring introductions. Once I got past that, the action was so spread out all over the place that the camera could only catch some of it, and most of what it caught wasn't particularly wild, just the usual punches, kicks, and mask pulling.

Most of the character work everyone pointed out was lost to me too, since I couldn't figure out who was who until so late in the match. I did catch Caras pulling Konnan up from all those pin attempts, but with so much of the early action a complete blank, it was hard to give a damn. I have no idea how Perro got knocked out, and chances are that I would still have had no idea if I'd seen it in closeup and super slo-mo; that's how disconnected I was from most of this. I also don't understand how Jalisco (I think; it was the guy in the black mask) seemingly spent most of the match sprawled in the seats at ringside with no one touching him.

This is another one of those matches that seemingly happen only in trios, where I fervently wish that I was watching Gino and Heenan going back and forth on Prime Time or Lawler cutting down his latest opponent, or anything else that isn't what's on the screen in front of me. I know it's an important style, but for whatever reason, I not only can't get into most of the matches, I actively loathe them. There are exceptions, of course, but they're few and far between. I'm fine with lucha singles, but there's just something about the trios style that I simply can't grasp. Oh well, maybe someday!

• 1 year later...

This was fucking awesome. I love how in Mexico, the babyfaces can come to the ring wearing jolly traditional clothes with jolly traditional music playing and then jump the heels and beat them down in the most vile ways imaginable. Kind off one of those magic matches were everything just kinda falls into place and works, tons of nasty post shots, even the random shots of guys laying around crashed beneath the furniture looking dead work perfectly. Impossible not to love all of these guys, hell KONNAN looked awesome here. Aguyao is a such a gritty little bastard. Cien Caras is lovely in how miserable he looks and how awkwardly he tumbles around, he also has this nasty running high knee to the kidney which I dug.

But the real star here is Chicana who looks otherworldly, like a real One in a Million kind of guy. You know it's Wrestling when a seedy hag-like dude is the highlight of it. Chicana on the floor, randomly grabbing audience members and pulling them into the fight. Chicana trying to rip Aguyao's face off even with Rayo and a referee on him. Chicana slipping and falling on his ass. Chicana adjusting his hair so Aguayo can see his face before he punches his lights out. Sangre Chicana is pretty awesome when you think about it.

• 4 weeks later...

#89 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-100-51/

I totally agree, I was loving Chicana in this match. He was fantastic in all aspects here. Konnan did look okay at times I suppose, but some of his punches and/or strikes looked like total crap. I say punches and/or strikes, because I couldn't even tell what they were supposed to be. He was just throwing his arm towards his opponent sort of open-handed and not touching anything. I'm not sure what he was going for. That was really the only thing I was totally down on in the match. I'm with garretta a little bit, in that it was hard for me to understand exactly what was going on at times. I'm sure a little more context would help, but I know garretta was going through the YB when he saw it, so maybe not. That being said, I loved how out of control it was, and Chicana was so damn great. The great outweighed the okay.

• 3 months later...

As noted, Chicana is absurdly great here. Super charismatic, provides a ton of memorable moments (grabbing a fan to shield himself, slipping and falling on the apron, parting his hair back so Aguayo can look him directly in the eye before being punched). One of the all time great trios with crazy, out of control brawling, tons of hate and a great technico/rudo divide. The match has a chaotic feel but, importantly, it maintains a clear structure and narrative which is why it is so great. **** 1/4

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked at the tecnico side of this and immediately hated 2/3rds of it. But then...

The tecnicos jumping the rudos and never letting up, throwing referees out of the way is so awesome. I also liked that Konnan and Rayo ditched their shitty normal spots in favor of just punching dudes in the face with a vengeance. More of THOSE guys. Chicana dragging a fan into the match was incredible. Mascara Ano 200 smothering the announcer/interviewer with Rayo was fucking great too. Perro manges to find himself under a row of seats and I wish we got to see how that happened. End of the first fall was great with Caras being the biggest asshole in the world and pulling Konnan up despite being able to pin him with one had. Over and over again. Then he pins him with one finger. Hell yes. Great comeback by the tecnicos, with Perro's offense looking great. I will agree that Sangre was indeed the star here. Everything he did here came off like gold, even the flub. Could have used some blood, but what an awesome match.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-01-CMLL] Cien Caras & Mascara Ano 2000 & Sangre Chicana vs Konnan & Perro Aguayo & Rayo de Jalisco Jr