Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think both in terms of in-ring and character, Flair was good until 1996 and specifically upto the NWO angle.

There is obviously decline from 89 to 96, but there is still good work in there, vs. Savage in 92 and especially in 95/6 which is some of Ric's best ever character work, vs. Vader in 93, vs. Steamboat in 94. I think there's plenty of good to great stuff from that portion of Flair's career. I think after 96 he's more or less done though.

I was never much of a fan of INSANE Ric from 1998, y'know, elbow dropping his jacket and so on. Although even there, I do like the promo he cuts on Bischoff.

I remember really liking the Souled Out 98 match with Bret. Thought it was Flair's best since the Savage match at GAB 95. Agree that there wasn't much essential stuff between those two matches though.

Beat to the punch here. I consider it a great match and undeniably Flair's last great WCW match. A nice build built on pride and dominance too, which would be lovely if you were able to forget about the context of the time period and how much of a ballsup it was for Bret to be used that way at that time.

• 10 months later...

Yea I think that's just him finding police officers who were fans and wanted to help him out. The photos don't really go along with the "he wasn't drunk" revision to the story.

042616-ric-flair-tmz-10.jpg

042616-ric-flair-tmz-6.jpg

042616-ric-flair-tmz-3.jpg

I mean, yeah, he probably was drunk, but I wouldn't call those photos compelling evidence... In them, he just looks like a tired old man - which he is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ESPN should grow some balls and run a 30 for 30 on the racism, sexism, etc. in wrestling. The glorification of an overt racist like Flair is amazing and sad at the same time. Not sure why people like to sweep that stuff under the rug or why they would be considered 'hit pieces' when they do come out. But yeah--I would like to see that from ESPN with interviews from Teddy Long, etc. providing real first hand encounters of Flairs and the likes.

ESPN should grow some balls and run a 30 for 30 on the racism, sexism, etc. in wrestling. The glorification of an overt racist like Flair is amazing and sad at the same time. Not sure why people like to sweep that stuff under the rug or why they would be considered 'hit pieces' when they do come out. But yeah--I would like to see that from ESPN with interviews from Teddy Long, etc. providing real first hand encounters of Flairs and the likes.

Considering their treatment of NFL issues, don't hold your breath on that one!

It's funny because ESPN did essentially run hit pieces on wrestling during the Attitude Era, and would highlight the portrayals of those things on television and their effect on kids. But it all had the mindset of Disney eating sour grapes over the fact that wrestling was kicking Monday Night Football's ass in the ratings.

It's funny because ESPN did essentially run hit pieces on wrestling during the Attitude Era, and would highlight the portrayals of those things on television and their effect on kids. But it all had the mindset of Disney eating sour grapes over the fact that wrestling was kicking Monday Night Football's ass in the ratings.

To be fair, and yes I know that did have a lot to do with the AE at the time hit pieces, but if there was ever a time for a major mass media outlet to latch onto the idea that "its cool to be at least a casual wrestling fan" it would be this post-PG era that we are currently in with the WWE.

Couldn't agree more. Racism and sexism were arguably much worse in the territory days than it is now. I thought it was quite moving and appropriate this year when WWE re-named the Women's title. I don't know how well the women are portrayed in regard to that move since then, but I at least liked that through that they recognized that the "diva" moniker wasn't altogether cool with people.

Overall the women have been positioned pretty well. Everyone has a character and motives outside of looking hot, being a bitch, or acting completely crazy. The women have real goals and are not getting into matches and feuds due to not being chosen for Playboy, wanting to bang 'Wrestler X', or just wanting to 'do the grind' and be an overall exhibitionist. Its good stuff. Between the two brands, Smackdown has the weaker roster on paper but are delivering in spades every week. If you would have told me earlier this year that Carmella would be one of the best female characters on WWE-- I would have laughed in your face.

• 3 months later...