Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This almost certainly does not deserve its own thread, but a passing thought just occurred to me:

Has there ever been a more minor on-screen character play a more major role than the photographer from KOTR 93? This man played a giant part in ending Hulkamania in the WWF, something the combined forces of evil had failed to do in the previous decade.

By my estimation this makes him the highest impact player in wrestling history in terms of "minutes on screen" vs. "impact". Who else even comes close?

Looks like Hayes and Flair are cut from the same cloth:

Per Court Bauer on the Bauer and Pollock podcast - Michael Hayes suspended for offering Rosa Mendes drinks right when Rosa was coming back from her recent problems. WWE decided it was insensitive, and sent him home for an indefinite period.

This almost certainly does not deserve its own thread, but a passing thought just occurred to me:

Has there ever been a more minor on-screen character play a more major role than the photographer from KOTR 93? This man played a giant part in ending Hulkamania in the WWF, something the combined forces of evil had failed to do in the previous decade.

By my estimation this makes him the highest impact player in wrestling history in terms of "minutes on screen" vs. "impact". Who else even comes close?

Interesting question.

This would be high on the list, with the caveat that he did get a lot of airtime for an extremely minor character over the years:

Posted Image

It was Earl's debut in the WWF, playing the Fake Dave, and pretty much just a background player in the match until the end.

Earl became a fixture as a ref after that. Mostly a background figure for ages, and then we get the Montreal Screwjob as well.

Lot's of airtime is the hang up. But from both a kayfabe (ending Hulks original dynastic reign) and non-kayfabe (screwing over Bret), that's pretty major impact for someone who was nothing more than a minor character.

Dave had been a WWF ref for ages. Earl was an NWA ref until really late in 87, possibly as late as January 88.

Dave retired as an onscreen character after the incident and Earl became the main ref for the next 15 years or so. At least that's my understanding.

I don't know how they transitioned Earl from evil twin to normal ref though. Or even if in kayfabe continuity they are even the same character.

Keep in mind that as an on screen character, Earl was "Dave Hebner" for a few years. I can't remember if Dave did any agent pull-aparts during that period, or only later when Earl was referred to as Earl onscreen.

Those white sneakers with the suit during agent pull-aparts were always distracting to me.

So they had Alberto lose to Ricardo clean on Raw. The guy who is theoretically the number 2 champ in the company just lost to his former non-wrestling manager in about 3 seconds. Fuck it. I'm done. It's a minor thing and doesn't matter, but it should and that sums up everything wrong with the company today. I tried giving them one last chance these last two months. No reason to care about anyone or anything. I'm not hardcore enough to check out the fifty dozen indy feds in the US or Japan and Mexico. TNA and RoH are just as abysmal on a different level. Nice knowin' ya', pro wrestling. You're a cold hearted bitch, but it's been a nice 14 years.

It was a flash pin from behind after a major distraction. Then he proceeded to destroy said manager. Calm down.

I have no plans to quit watching wrestling, but "guy gets flash pin then gets destroyed" really needs to go away. It makes both guys look like chumps.

Anyway, I hope you guys aren't wedded to your Cena injury fantasy booking scenarios. Per Dave, Cena is expected to wrestle on all the upcoming PPVs and there are no plans to do an injury angle at HIAC.

So I'm watching the Monterrey lucha TV, and they have a trios match with Universo 2000, Mascara Ano 2000, and Cien Caras Jr vs Hijo del Dos Caras (Memo from FCW), Sicodelico Jr, and Mil F'N Mascaras.

Mil of course can't bump at all anymore, and his arms are so thin now he looks like Giant Baba wearing a mask, but god damn if that fucker didn't get the win with the flying bodypress. Say what you will about the guy, but that was pretty impressive for a guy in his 70s.

I am super excited, and I have no where else to geek out about it, so please forgive me.....

I'm Going To The Royal Rumble!!!!

It has been my favorite PPV since I watched the first one on VHS with my Dad back in '89, and it has been the one show over the years that no matter where my fandom or financial situation stood, I always made an effort to catch.

This year they are having it in Pittsburgh, the first time it has ever been anywhere near where I was, and I ordered tickets this morning.

I am super excited!!

When I was younger I always wanted to go to the Rumble. One year I started saving up money in the summer in hopes it would be somewhere nearby. It ended up being on the west coast I believe and I gave up and blew the money on stuff from the WWF catalog. I think it was Diesel shirt, Diesel biker gloves and some pogs. Still have never been, will probably wait to bring my son at this point.

Looking through the Rumble wiki page, Flair's 92 Rumble is still the fifth longest time in history and Kane has been in the most Rumbles, by a large margin.