Pro Wrestling Only

Survivor Series 2013

Superstar Sleeze

Guest The Jiz

This card looked horrible on paper and feels depressing. I'm glad to not have entertained watching WWE since HIAC. This panic crap with no serious gains as a replacement is tiresome. Even Wrestlemania is looking bleak with the Rock not likely wrestling. At least Undertaker will likely have a match. Bryan and HBK is a sell. HHH is boring in most programs. Lesnar is at least fun in any capacity.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual good booking would have had Bryan hold the belt at some point so that Cena could get his win back, but obviously he kills ratings and Orton is awesome or something. I doubt they would have had him actually be the guy to unify the belts, but it would have actually made sense.

Orton did this himself by not really changing that much after The Legend Killer phase. And his Wellness suspensions.

Yes, that. Orton went from Babyface Viper Randy to Heel Corporate Champion Randy and literally didn't change a single thing about himself.

People always complain "oh he went from face/heel to heel/face and changed everything about him!", but I mean to a certain extent you have to, you need to have defined roles. Orton at least figured out how to wrestle matches as a face even with his basically heel character and mannerisms. Now that he's back as a heel, he's a heel who fights with the other heels and pops the crowd with all his crowd-pleasing moves. He isn't really acting much differently so there's not much impetus to boo him, and people wont boo him for busting out the DDT or RKO either.

This card looked horrible on paper and feels depressing. I'm glad to not have entertained watching WWE since HIAC. This panic crap with no serious gains as a replacement is tiresome. Even Wrestlemania is looking bleak with the Rock not likely wrestling. At least Undertaker will likely have a match. Bryan and HBK is a sell. HHH is boring in most programs. Lesnar is at least fun in any capacity.

So basically, you didn't watch the show but were compelled to comment? That's what crazy people do, bro.

Guest The Jiz

So basically, you didn't watch the show but were compelled to comment? That's what crazy people do, bro.

No, it's comments like these from WWE tards who feel that no one has a right to comment after watching hours of mindless, directionless, shit writing in 2013, from a promotion that did three consecutive screwjobs for $55 a pop, who somehow think in 2013 that Randy Orton v. Big Show, Cena v. Del Rio, and Punk, Bryan v. a midcard team that is barely over, is something worth watching who is crazy, "bro".

Now, I didn't say the show sucked, though strangely the vast majority who did watch think so, just that it looked horrible on paper. I've spent more than enough time watching 2013 WWE. It'd be awesome if the company ditched tired storylines, pushed guys who got over in an era of non-entity midcard acts like Del Rio getting pushes, listened to their audience, and tried making a product that is at least somewhat clever. But we've been there and done that. You keep your Big Show and Randy Orton and keep shilling $55 per PPV. I'll keep paying $7.95 for Hulu to get Law and Order episode, start a bar tab to watch UFC where fights are booked to matter, and buy military books for less than 10€ a pop. Modern WWE is intellectually insulting.

Again, see you at the Rumble. Let's just hope Big Show doesn't win this year. I haven't seen a product this draining since 1995 IYH PPVs.

I said last month that they were seemingly heading towards Cena/Orton in a unification match. There was no other real reason for either guy to have the title. Presumably they are going to run it at Wrestlemania in the main event - about six years too late, but there you are. I was always amazed how much they blew their big two matches with the last true stars they created circa 2004/2005. Cena/Batista and Cena/Orton should have been huge Wrestlemania main events when they would have been hot and fresh, and instead both were thrown away on Summerslam and done to death with a million rematches.

Did they ever do a big Batista v. Orton match on PPV? They probably did, but I can't recall it. That would have been a natural major feud for them, and that I've followed WWE the entire time both were at their peaks and can't remember tells me they dropped the ball on that

I thought Cena/Batista being held off as long as it was and done at SummerSlam as a face vs. face match was well done, and it was cool that they had Batista win. When the did the actual program when Batista was on his way out and at his peak as a performer is led to a really cool dynamic, because Batista's character was just awesome at that point.

Cena and Orton had good runs against each other. I really enjoyed it. It's just that.....it's been done. It's 2013 and you did it 2007 and 2009....you can't go to that same well again

People talk about how Orton and Bryan aren't draws. It's because WWE has failed to push these guys the proper way. They never really pulled the trigger on Orton going full blown anti-hero. It was all watered down crap. Bryan on the otherhand wins the belt and loses it pretty quickly. WWE does an awful job of building new stars. I'd hate to see where the company would be without Cena because God knows no one else can carry it

The ironic thing in comparison- tonight's football game between the Broncos and Patriots was billed as Manning-Brady XIV. These guys have "matched up" 14 years out of a possible 16, missing two due to season long injuries to both men. Nobody was going "Ugh. Been there done that." It will probably grade out as the highest rated game of the year... why can't that sentiment be created for wrestler matchups? Cena and Orton (Orton moreso) have gone through storyline progression that added facets to their characters by each meeting. First it was franchise babyface vs legend killer sadistic heel, then the polarizing babyface vs anti hero heel and now the wounded never say die hero vs the "chosen one" heel. But no one is buying what they are selling. So be it.

I said last month that they were seemingly heading towards Cena/Orton in a unification match. There was no other real reason for either guy to have the title. Presumably they are going to run it at Wrestlemania in the main event - about six years too late, but there you are. I was always amazed how much they blew their big two matches with the last true stars they created circa 2004/2005. Cena/Batista and Cena/Orton should have been huge Wrestlemania main events when they would have been hot and fresh, and instead both were thrown away on Summerslam and done to death with a million rematches.

Did they ever do a big Batista v. Orton match on PPV? They probably did, but I can't recall it. That would have been a natural major feud for them, and that I've followed WWE the entire time both were at their peaks and can't remember tells me they dropped the ball on that

They did, at Armageddon 2008. So not "big", but they did do it. Off the back of a Team Orton vs Team Dave match at Survivor Series. That is literally the only thing I remember about their supposed feud. Couldn't even tell you who won the match. Maybe Orton since he got the Rumble push with the punting Vince angle. But I really have no idea.

EDIT: Batista may have been injuring during or after this. He missed WM25 didn't he? Yes I think Orton took him out in storyline, some big beatdown.

The ironic thing in comparison- tonight's football game between the Broncos and Patriots was billed as Manning-Brady XIV. These guys have "matched up" 14 years out of a possible 16, missing two due to season long injuries to both men. Nobody was going "Ugh. Been there done that." It will probably grade out as the highest rated game of the year... why can't that sentiment be created for wrestler matchups? Cena and Orton (Orton moreso) have gone through storyline progression that added facets to their characters by each meeting. First it was franchise babyface vs legend killer sadistic heel, then the polarizing babyface vs anti hero heel and now the wounded never say die hero vs the "chosen one" heel. But no one is buying what they are selling. So be it.

WWE should be trying to emulate the NFL's marketing. I mean, they're pretty much bulletproof (concussion scare notwithstanding, too early to tell). Build rivalries while still maintaining a nice parity to keep things from getting boring. Stuff like that.

Instead, it looks like they'd rather take their cues from TBS's original comedy lineup or some shit.

I actually watched that show. Don't ask why.

I enjoyed the opening a lot. Lot of these guys I don't even know of, but damn, Goldust did look like the best worker on the card tonight, and not in a faint praise way either. No idea who Roman Reigns is, but I enjoyed him and Seth Rollins a lot. The Usos look sloppy and their outfit is right out of the early 90's. Rey was very good for what he had to do. Cesaro looked great too. The Kyoko Inoue giant swing. I'll be damned. Yeah, kinda ass backward booking since the heels went underdogs, but as far as making Roman Reigns look like a monster, it was perfect. Really liked it a lot.

Big E. Langston vs Curtis Axel was nothing. So, WWE is pushing a less charismatic Ice Train erzatz now ? Curtis Axel sure looks like his ancestors. Poor guys seems to be a jobber though. No gimmick, no look, no nothing.

I didn't watch the Divas match, because I have a life too.

Ryback vs Henry was plodding and mediocre big man stuff. I love how suddenly channeling JYD in 2013 is a good thing. Well, I'm not saying I didn't find it kinda cool though. So, Ryback is a jobber too at this point I guess.

Cena vs Del Rio was exactly everything I don't care for about modern WWE : too long, sloppy work hidden by camera work, bland as hell, way too many useless nearfalls to try to make it seem like an epic battle. Yuck.

Wyatt vs Punk & Bryan was too long for what it was, but ended up quite good thanks to really excellent parts. Bryan looked a lot better than Punk in this match, and that Luke Harper guy seems to be the workhorse of the Godw... of the Wyatt Family.

Orton vs Big Show. Awful match. Orton is still a black hole. The finish was embarrassing. And yes, Orton vs Cena at WM !!!! This company is so dead. Not created one single star since Cena, and they are going back to the most horrifying boring formula ever in 2013 after fucking up pushes for CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. Roman Reigns is a big guy, so maybe he'll get a shot. That being said, Ryback was supposed to be something special at some point. It's telling that the entire card had former "world champions" in seemingly every match, yet they're still doing the über tired Cena vs Orton on top. Also telling that all the best workers on the card either come from the indies (Bryan, Punk, Cesaro) or are veterans from the 90's (Rey, Goldust). The only guy who I guess came through WWE's factory that are looking really good are Reigns, Seth and Harper (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not exactly up to date).

Also, all the backstage segments are as godawful as ever, with the same deliberate, unfunny, boring WWE "acting" that has been used since the early 00's. In this context, yes Dutch Mantell is just in a different universe in term of promo skills, but I understand Will's point of view too, he's just far far from the awesome old Dutch.

Stephy and HHH beginning and basically ending the PPV just says it all about the future...

Interesting watch though, if only for the first match and the fact Goldust seems as great as he's been pimped to be recently (although he should not delay his uppercut spot, it looks as bad as Booker T's old ax kick).

I liked the opener, and I enjoyed the Wyatts vs. Punk/Bryan. The rest I could have done without. I'm happy to see Mark Henry return and beat Ryback, but the match itself did nothing for me.

I did get a chuckle when Cole made a point of announcing that Nikki Bella was also a survivor. I yelled out "Now I can sleep tonight!" which got a laugh out of people.

They did, at Armageddon 2008. So not "big", but they did do it. Off the back of a Team Orton vs Team Dave match at Survivor Series. That is literally the only thing I remember about their supposed feud. Couldn't even tell you who won the match. Maybe Orton since he got the Rumble push with the punting Vince angle. But I really have no idea.

EDIT: Batista may have been injuring during or after this. He missed WM25 didn't he? Yes I think Orton took him out in storyline, some big beatdown.

They did it in the Summer of 2009 briefly after Orton's feud with HHH was over. Batista actually beat him for the belt in a cage match that went about 9 minutes. Dave gave the title up the next night because he was hurt. I can't recall if he was hurt going into that match and they *still* did the title change or not. I thought that was the story.

I believe though that the titles probably won't even be on the line but the title of "Face of WWE"

^ This

I would be very surprised if they got rid of one of those belts. Even with the backseat the WHC has taken the last couple of years (until putting it on Cena to prop it back up), I can't see them giving up that lineage.

Guest The Jiz

First, because wins and losses in WWE are clearly done with low-investment, 3-week booking in mind. Because of that, wins and losses are trivialized. Third, the frequency rate for NFL is still significantly less than WWE's. I'm unsure of the truth value of the following statement, but it would not surprise me if there are 3-5 midcard rematches within a month's span. I'm not the only one who feels this way, so the perception is that the product is boring and recycled. Their ME storylines certainly are.

I actually watched that show. Don't ask why.

I enjoyed the opening a lot. Lot of these guys I don't even know of, but damn, Goldust did look like the best worker on the card tonight, and not in a faint praise way either. No idea who Roman Reigns is, but I enjoyed him and Seth Rowens a lot. The Usos look sloppy and their outfit is right out of the early 90's. Rey was very good for what he had to do. Cesaro looked great too. The Kyoko Inoue giant swing. I'll be damned. Yeah, kinda ass backward booking since the heels went underdogs, but as far as making Roman Reigns look like a monster, it was perfect. Really liked it a lot.

Big E. Langston vs Curtis Axel was nothing. So, WWE is pushing a less charismatic Ice Train erzatz now ? Curtis Axel sure looks like his ancestors. Poor guys seems to be a jobber though. No gimmick, no look, no nothing.

I didn't watch the Divas match, because I have a life too.

Ryback vs Henry was plodding and mediocre big man stuff. I love how suddenly channeling JYD in 2013 is a good thing. Well, I'm not saying I didn't find it kinda cool though. So, Ryback is a jobber too at this point I guess.

Cena vs Del Rio was exactly everything I don't care for about modern WWE : too long, sloppy work hidden by camera work, bland as hell, way too many useless nearfalls to try to make it seem like an epic battle. Yuck.

Wyatt vs Punk & Bryan was too long for what it was, but ended up quite good thanks to really excellent parts. Bryan looked a lot better than Punk in this match, and that Luke Harper guy seems to be the workhorse of the Godw... of the Wyatt Family.

Orton vs Big Show. Awful match. Orton is still a black hole. The finish was embarrassing. And yes, Orton vs Cena at WM !!!! This company is so dead. Not created one single star since Cena, and they are going back to the most horrifying boring formula ever in 2013 after fucking up pushes for CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. Roman Reigns is a big guy, so maybe he'll get a shot. That being said, Ryback was supposed to be something special at some point. It's telling that the entire card had former "world champions" in seemingly every match, yet they're still doing the über tired Cena vs Orton on top. Also telling that all the best workers on the card either come from the indies (Bryan, Punk, Cesaro) or are veterans from the 90's (Rey, Goldust). The only guy who I guess came through WWE's factory that are looking really good are Reigns, Seth and Harper (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not exactly up to date).

Also, all the backstage segments are as godawful as ever, with the same deliberate, unfunny, boring WWE "acting" that has been used since the early 00's. In this context, yes Dutch Mantell is just in a different universe in term of promo skills, but I understand Will's point of view too, he's just far far from the awesome old Dutch.

Stephy and HHH beginning and basically ending the PPV just says it all about the future...

Interesting watch though, if only for the first match and the fact Goldust seems as great as he's been pimped to be recently (although he should not delay his uppercut spot, it looks as bad as Booker T's old ax kick).

It's Seth Rollins, not Rowens, lol. I believe he took the surname in honor of Henry Rollins. I think Seth is a punk rock reference too, but the name is escaping me

Rollins and Harper were both long time indy guys. Rollins was known as Tyler Black, Harper was Brodie Lee. They both worked all over for years.

Reigns is pretty much a total WWE product. He was a well regarded college football player who had cups of coffee in the NFL and CFL. He's part of the Samoan family tree. His father was Sika. Rosey (3MW, S.H.I.T.) is his older brother.

The Usos are actually Reigns' nephews, believe it or not. They're Rikishi's sons.

It's Seth Rollins, not Rowens, lol. I believe he took the surname in honor of Henry Rollins.

Sorry. Well, that's pretty cool.

Rollins and Harper were both long time indy guys. Rollins was known as Tyler Black, Harper was Brodie Lee. They both worked all over for years.

Damn. Well, it furthers what I said about the roster though. :)

Reigns is pretty much a total WWE product. He was a well regarded college football player who had cups of coffee in the NFL and CFL. He's part of the Samoan family tree. His father was Sika. Rosey (3MW, S.H.I.T.) is his older brother.

Funny, I wouldn't have guessed he was a Samoan. Well, maybe that's why he's got so much potential. The next big thing ?

The Usos are actually Reigns' nephews, believe it or not. They're Rikishi's sons.

I heard during the broadcast they were Rikishi's sons. Interesting. They sure don't know how to fly like their dad or uncles. I wasn't very impressed. They reminded my of the Youngbloods from 93 WCW.

Thanks for keeping me posted about these guys.

The Usos have been one of my favorite acts this year. Last night wasn't their best performance, and they did seem a little over hyped up/reckless at points. But I didn't think anyone looked particularly great in that match. Everyone involved, sans Rey, has had much better performances on TV and PPV this year. That match just didn't live up to it's potential.

I think if you see more of the Usos you'd become a fan. They've been part of some really fun tags and 6 mans.

They did it in the Summer of 2009 briefly after Orton's feud with HHH was over. Batista actually beat him for the belt in a cage match that went about 9 minutes. Dave gave the title up the next night because he was hurt. I can't recall if he was hurt going into that match and they *still* did the title change or not. I thought that was the story.

Ahh, yes. So the timeline is,

Orton vs Dave in late 2008, Dave gets injured in about December.

Dave comes back post-Mania to be the third man in the Legacy vs McMahons WWE Title 6-man at Backlash 2009.

Orton vs Dave at Judgment Day, then the cage match at Extreme Rules which Dave wins (yes, I think he was already injured, they just didn't want to beat him again for whatever stupid reason).

Orton gets the title back the next night, Dave is out injured again.

Dave comes back a couple months later on a random Raw, gets some revenge win on Orton, and then immediately leaves for SD.

Dave teams with Rey vs Jerishow, then turns heel on Rey, etc. etc.

So Im a little tardy to the party, but I thought I throw out my live thoughts.

It was fuckin' cold that night!

My Dad was dragging his feet saying he rather watched the Pats/Broncos, but ended up having fun.

I thought the Garden was like 80% full with all the empty seats being around the hard camera. The balconies were pretty packed.

The Miz/Kofi was just there. I understood the match they were going for, but I have seen so many people do tit for tat matches better than that.

Zeb has gotten way better now that he is a bit more of a clown. At the beginning with the Del Rio/Swagger feud, he was a snoozefest. Now as a cranky old man, he is much better.

I loved the opener and I would probably give it match of the night honors. Goldust was over like rover. We were chanting "We Want Goldust" at the outstt and "Goldust" once he got in. The eliminations were flawlessly booked. Ambrose got eliminated because he is over-aggressive and has a temper. Swagger's elimination was excellent babyface shine work that put over Rey especially. Cesaro made Cesaro look like a hot dog. He was focused too much on impressing us fans rather than winning a match and it cost him. The WWE has been surprisingly adept at booking heels against the odds and still making the match work. Reigns was of course the bigger winner of the match, but I thought this was some of Rollins best work. I like the curb stomp finish for him, but I would have liked to seen the flying knee, but I guess Daniel Bryan is using that now.

My brother and Dad took a break for the Big E & Curtis Axel match. Then they gave me the phone call of a lifetime: Bob Backlund was right next to them!!! O FUCK YEAH! I raced up there and they said $40 for a picture. I didn't have any money, so I said fuck it and went to talk to him anyways. I am a tall dude, but Backlund is a big man still to this say. His handshake is a like a vise-grip, but he still complimented me on mine. (Dont like to toot my own horn, but I do work out my forearms for tennis TOOT! TOOT! Thanks for noticing Bob). Then I try to launch in about how awesome his matches with Patera, Valentine and Inoki were. Instead, he just wanted to talk about how he could still go in the ring. So what developed was this weird conversation where I was trying to ask him questions like what it was like to work with these guys and he would ignore me just talk about how we could kick everyone's ass today. I gave up and told him of course you could best headlock ever. Then I pantomimed how he would do a headlock. He finally smiled and said thats how to headlock. I wished him luck in getting back into the ring and that was a fan for life. He told me to stay in school. Well I finished that, but I am still paying back Michigan so I guess that still counts. O what a night!

Something involving women happened, but who gives a fuck I just met Bob Backlund!

I am a huge Ryback mark and I love Mark Henry. We popped huge for the entrance. The match was underwhelming and disappointing. The fans were getting restless.

I know most people hear where down on the Cena/Del Rio match because it is lacked sizzle and that Del Rio is fucked as a character and I agree. However, this was the most fun match of the night for me. There was a 6 year old kid who is the greatest wrestling fan ever. I would watch the match and then watch his reaction it elevated the match. Eventually him and I against all the Cena haters in our section. It made for the most heated match from our perspective. I would not say this was molten heat, but it was definitely the hottest match of the night. Cena doing his Backlund tribute on the cross-armbreaker had me popping like mad and I rallied all the Cena supporters at that time. I just thought that was a great moment. I thought it was a very good Cena match who just has his extended comeback down at this point. It is my choice for second best match of the night.

Punk/Bryan vs Wyatts was a weird match. It felt like Boston wanted to blow the roof off the place for Bryan & Punk but never got there. We seemed out of sync with the flow of the match. I like Harper a lot. He is up there with Reigns and Ryback as my favorite hosses. Punk was boring as fuck. Bryan was his entertaining himself. When people starting chanting "This is awesome", my Dad goes "What the fuck are these guys watching? Where was that chant for the last match?". My brother succinctly responded "Smart marks suck." It was a totally forgettable match.

Orton vs Big Show was first met by silence and then mocked. They tried chanting a "This Match Sucks!" in our section which I dont know if that came across on TV. I didnt think it was a horrible match. I thought they wrestled a smart match, but not one that plays well with modern audience. Plus they blew the top ropehanging DDT, which never helps. It is a match that I would rate as average than a total turd, but hey average don't cut it on a PPV main event. They should have known better. Cena vs Orton seems dumb to me. It is played out. The Authority vs Internet Darlings makes way more sense. Let Cena fight some upper midcard heels like the Shield and the Wyatts while Orton faces Punk and Bryan.

All in all, I had a fun night with my Dad and brother. I saw two pretty good matches and met BOB FUCKIN BACKLUND~! I'm a happy camper.