Wrestling New Years Resolutions <<2014 thread - No more resolutions here>>

Loss

- Watch all Royal Rumbles for Voices of Wrestling/PTBN crossover

- Finish 1997 Yearbook

- Finish 1991 Yearbook

- Finish lucha 1980's set

- Record at least 25 episodes of WTBBP

- Watch one more yearbook

- Streamline watching my wrestling and using my time more wisely to hit highlights (days of watching all of Raw are probably over)

- at end of year watch around 100 top pimped matches from the year to make a top 10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Finish 1997 Yearbook

- Finish 1991 Yearbook

- Streamline watching my wrestling and using my time more wisely to hit highlights (days of watching all of Raw are probably over)

- at end of year watch around 100 top pimped matches from the year to make a top 10

Wrestling is going to devour your soul.

To post here more. I thought wrestling on the internet was nothing but brainless Scott Keith types bitching about everything and making bad jokes. I found this place on accident by looking up information on Rocky Mountain Thunder of all people and was blown away by how intelligent everybody is. I can spend hours reading threads here and I don't have to put up with all the crap you see elsewhere.

I want to stay more on top of the nominated matches on WKO. It's been rough trying to cram in a year's worth of stuff into a quarter of the year.

Make sure I continue on with the Wrestler Snapshot and focus on some guys I am less aware of.

I'm currently rewatching all of the Royal Rumbles and doing a top 25 matches article. I want to continue that with other shows like the Clash of the Champions.

Finish the lucha set, should be number one!

I kind of want to rewatch the WWF in the 90's, at least everything of importance. This may be the one I don't do.

Finally, more lucha.

Hmmm I'll probably have to add to this at some point:

-Write more here. Always find it to be a fountain of information and different perceptiveness than I'm used to. To do so leads into...

-Watch more past wrestling. I keep up well with modern wrestling but I'd like to dive back into more of the stuff either A)Wasn't alive for B)Wasn't paying attention to.

-Finish the 92 YB. Have had it for too long. Need to dedicate some man hours.

-Improve my podcast. Keep thinking of topics and ways of engaging our audience

-Write more in general. Whether that be for the website I'm a part of or on forums. Need to get those juices flowing more often.

-Don't feel they need to go to as many live shows(Fun but gets expensive)

I need to get out and see more live shows. There are so many indy shows going on in my area but I always find some excuse to pass on them. I want to support these guys and gals and see what's out there. If there's any kind of meet-up groups or anything like that in the NYC area or if anyone has some recommendations on promotions to check out I'd love to hear about them.

This is a good one. I'd say the same thing about any wrestling in Chicagoland, actually.

Literally, in the last week I've been trying to think of ways to better properly manage my wrestling during the school semester. Here's what I've come up with:

Every day, there's four categories of wrestling that I want to at least watch one match or video of:

- Current wrestling, such as pimped matches that are nominated on WKO. (I watch Raw and SD every week so they don't count when it comes to this)

- Watch stuff for the 80s sets I'm helping with.

- Watch a match from the lucha set (I may have to start over but maybe not)

- Watch a random match, promo, or angle on YouTube, Dailymotion, etc. from any time period

If I can manage that every day I should be in pretty good shape and feel satisfied about my wrestling viewing. There are other projects I would like to work on as well:

- The best of the WWE 2000s that I've been working on off and on for two years.

- Wrestler spotlights which is when I pick a random wrestler and watch several of their matches online

- Post more on here because I want to but never think up anything good to say. Or at least I think that.

I enjoyed your participation in the 1994 Yearbook threads. Any chance you'll pick a year and make a grand return?

- Finish 1997 Yearbook

- Finish 1991 Yearbook

Someone is ambitious!

To post here more. I thought wrestling on the internet was nothing but brainless Scott Keith types bitching about everything and making bad jokes. I found this place on accident by looking up information on Rocky Mountain Thunder of all people and was blown away by how intelligent everybody is. I can spend hours reading threads here and I don't have to put up with all the crap you see elsewhere.

Welcome! Glad you've found a place you like and hope you'll stick around. Drinks in the fridge. :)

I enjoyed your participation in the 1994 Yearbook threads. Any chance you'll pick a year and make a grand return?

I would love to. But I'm poor <_ i never got through december in maybe can finish that up this year. however have a little bit of money august after summer work. the yearbook looks great. consider it for sure.>

- Watch certain Royal Rumbles for Voices of Wrestling upcoming shows

- Finish the 1990 Yearbook

- Keep up to date with NJPW

- Read the Observer each week

- Do more podcasting

- Try and attend more UK Shows

- Watch NXT weekly

- Start following MMA more closely again

- Try and get the NWA Legends convention in August

- Do some DDP Yoga

Everyone's watching Rumbles. That's actually my next project too, once I've finished with the WCW ppvs (I've just got Greed to go, so nearly there). I'll be watching them all and then ranking all the matches, like I did for Wrestlemania and Summerslam. Other than that, finish the lucha set, and maybe finally delve into the yearbooks.

1) Finish the 1993 and 1994 Yearbooks.

2) Post more here outside of the threads relating to the above.

3) Send some dude named Will more money upon completion of #1 above.

4) Go to bed wearing my new winged eagle title belt while proclaiming "The Champ Is Here" and correctly predict the ratio of shame vs. laughter on my wife's face.

To be continued.

Most importantly --

Happy New Year to everyone in the PWO community. I hope its a happy, healthy and safe new year for everyone with good times, interesting discussion and intelligent debate.

I think I've watched less wrestling than pretty much anyone else on here - I was a WWF/WCW fan in the late 90s, got back into it once or twice over the years, and picked up some stuff about 18 months ago but didn't get round to watching much of it due to job issues, problems with my DVD player, and moving house and stuff. In particular, I've never really tried anything outside the US/UK scene.

So mine are going to seem ridiculously low compared to everyone else's, but here goes.

1. Finish the Four Horsemen set. (I have discs 13 onwards to watch.)

2. Watch at least one match a day, 5 days a week.

3. Watch at least one lucha match every 2 weeks.

4. Watch at least one puro match every 2 weeks.

5. Follow current stuff more closely.

6. Post more.

7. Get some yearbooks. And possibly an 80s set.

8. Get to a couple of live shows. (Living near London should mean I could go to loads but somehow not getting around to it.)

Happy New Year, everyone!

My wrestling aims are more or less obvious for 2014 and people could probably guess them (podcasts, 80s sets, etc.). I'm prone to overshoot (yearbooks, TNT, etc.), so I won't make any promises.

One little change I want to make, however, is to change my style of reviewing matches on the forum. In the main, my current match reviews tend towards description and incidental comments about hair styles or whatever for the main body with one or two lines of substantive analysis at the end, occasionally with longer breakdowns of the structure if I think it's necessary. This makes each review itself feel like more of a chore. And sometimes the idea of it in itself is enough to put me off viewing. It feels like work. Since we ditched the play-by-play segments on WTBBP and went with pure analysis, the shows are a lot breezier to do -- I was hung up on catching every move before whereas now I can just watch as a fan. I'm going to try the same idea for my match reviews on PWO: no description of moves or the match itself (not sure if I can talk about wrestling without mentioning clothes, commentary and so on, will see how it goes). If it means ending up with just a two-line summary of my thoughts, so be it. I have noticed that Loss's reviews tend towards this model and I'm wondering if viewing is breezier for him as a result. That's my basic aim: make reviews shorter and purely substantive, and therefore make viewing easier to do in general.

My wrestling aims are more or less obvious for 2014 and people could probably guess them (podcasts, 80s sets, etc.). I'm prone to overshoot (yearbooks, TNT, etc.), so I won't make any promises.

One little change I want to make, however, is to change my style of reviewing matches on the forum. In the main, my current match reviews tend towards description and incidental comments about hair styles or whatever for the main body with one or two lines of substantive analysis at the end, occasionally with longer breakdowns of the structure if I think it's necessary. This makes each review itself feel like more of a chore. And sometimes the idea of it in itself is enough to put me off viewing. It feels like work. Since we ditched the play-by-play segments on WTBBP and went with pure analysis, the shows are a lot breezier to do -- I was hung up on catching every move before whereas now I can just watch as a fan. I'm going to try the same idea for my match reviews on PWO: no description of moves or the match itself (not sure if I can talk about wrestling without mentioning clothes, commentary and so on, will see how it goes). If it means ending up with just a two-line summary of my thoughts, so be it. I have noticed that Loss's reviews tend towards this model and I'm wondering if viewing is breezier for him as a result. That's my basic aim: make reviews shorter and purely substantive, and therefore make viewing easier to do in general.

Much easier and more enjoyable for sure. I've gone through phases and that's what works for me now because I watch so much wrestling in bulk. I used to watch matches more in isolation and would write super long reviews, and I'm still motivated to do that occasionally, but not as a rule. There are times when a full breakdown is appropriate, but I don't think it's always necessary. Just my opinion. Others may see it differently.

I have different ways of watching different things. Time is such an issue for me that I usually do real time play by play. I imagine reading my write ups are a terrible chore and I mainly have them for my own sake so I can go back later. I assume they're some sort of a resource for SOMEONE but I can't always imagine how. The honest truth is that with my attention span , it helps me a lot to keep the narrative of a match straight while I'm watching it. I try to hit various things like transitions, interesting offense/selling, cut offs, etc. The bones and muscle of the story. I can go back a year later and everything I care about in the match is right there for me. They were also a ton of help when I wrote my Buddy essay so they can be useful if I want to put the work in to come to broader conclusions. They're also a ton of help when I am ranking 80s sets and what not.

I usually watch current WWE stuff and come out with a sentence or two.

I kind of like is my bullet point/real time with some edits style that I used for the two Snuka matches over the last couple of days. I could see myself going with that for things that I'm not watching as some sort of "project" but aren't new things I'm just breezing through.

Ultimately I A> Enjoy myself and B> make it through a decent amount of content, so I suppose on those levels it's a success.

- Continue getting texts from what I assume is a coked out Will about 1994 WCW at 1:30 AM. Those were the highlight of my end of year vacation.

- Check out that Where the Big Boys Play podcast, I heard it's decent

- Definitely watch at least one yearbook, that is a big goal of mine this year

- To watch all the DVDs I have slowly amassed and stocked to the side as well

- Expand my horizons a bit more, as well thanks to everyone here and guys like Chad, who have helped a lot in that area

- Really nail a major wrestling based project we have in the works at PTBN, details to come very soon

This is a great thread, thanks to Loss for kicking it off!