WWE Hall of Fame 2014

goodhelmet

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody was announced last night?

No.

I kind of feel like inducting Ali would be in poor taste considering that the HOF contains Antonio Inoki, the guy largely responsible for Ali being in the condition he's in.

I've never heard this talking point? I mean the years of boxing had no effect. It was Antinio Inoki's leg kicks were the cause.

No.

I kind of feel like inducting Ali would be in poor taste considering that the HOF contains Antonio Inoki, the guy largely responsible for Ali being in the condition he's in.

I've never heard this talking point? I mean the years of boxing had no effect. It was Antinio Inoki's leg kicks were the cause.

I think the logic would be if Ali hadn't got his legs kicked to hell, then he wouldn't have taken so much punishment in his later fights due to being slower and less spry on his feet.

No.

I think the logic would be if Ali hadn't got his legs kicked to hell, then he wouldn't have taken so much punishment in his later fights due to being slower and less spry on his feet.

That's grasping.

I blamed those pummelings more on him being fat and out of shape with no reflexes to speak of left in the tank. I won't dispute the leg kicks slowed him down some in his later bouts, but his speed was already noticably less after his sabbatical from boxing during the Vietnam war. He was already losing steam by that point.

Even if there's any substance behind Inoki hurting Ali, first that's not really basis for ill will in that environment. Second, Ali's doctor quit after 1977 because Ali refused to stop fighting. Inoki shouldn't get blamed because Ali refused to accept his condition.

Even if there's any substance behind Inoki hurting Ali, first that's not really basis for ill will in that environment. Second, Ali's doctor quit after 1977 because Ali refused to stop fighting. Inoki shouldn't get blamed because Ali refused to accept his condition.

This. Ali knew what he was signing up for. It's not as if anybody took advantage of him.

uh yeah, the "Inoki helped cause Ali's Parkinsons" thing is an amazing statement. Not sure that 30 rounds total with Ken Norton and Earnie Shavers in a year would be good for your health no matter the condition of your legs. Not to mention Manila in 1975.

Also, Ali's reflexes included a lot more leaning back from punches than most heavyweights as opposed to outright running, IIRC. So I don't think his legs were the x-factor when he was 35 and fighting Earnie Shavers.

Anyways.. Jake is in, the video package was pretty solid. Two 1996 Lawler feuds are in the class of 2014

Why do I have a suspicion that Brutus Beefcake is getting inducted this year purely to draw Hogan in?

DDP is likely a strong candidate to induct Jake. I wonder who else would work. I don't know of Jake having a best friend in the business (unless DDP counts for now). Would DiBiase work?

A lot of talk about Bearer. Anyone think they will acknowledge his past career/ring names for the promo videos if so?