Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

I just watched a random PTW from '87 and noticed during one of the matches that the "Superstars of Wrestling" banner wasn't blurred.

We'll need our legal expert David Bixenspan here but I read somewhere that they are allowed to use the trademark now that Dale Gagner was exposed as a conman and beaten in court.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sek nailed it. Someone saw the popularity of NWA Classics, and realized there's a viable market for classic wrestling. I'm hoping to see Memphis and Florida go up next!

It's almost like someone predicted that would happen...

That is why I encourage everyone who wants them to upload more territory footage to subscribe to NWAClassics. I mean the service by itself is fucking awesome and you'll very much enjoy it but if it becomes enough of a success then we all know it's in WWE's petty nature to decide to try and steal it's subscribers by suddenly going crazy uploading Mid-South stuff.

1st time ever that we old school fans benefit from WWE's childish ways.

They should upload a couple of months of Florida, Stampede, AWA and whatever else they have and see what moves the needle. I am personally looking forward to Stampede someday - it's such a completely different set of wrestlers compared to pretty much every other territory and there are a lot of random touring wrestlers. Where else can you see Kio Kawada (from Seoul) vs Canek? It's also a relatively undiscovered promotion.

SMW was an odd choice, not that I am complaining. I'd even watch Global if they put it up.

@Mike: They don't own Memphis so that won't go next. Ownership has been in legal limbo for years, Lawler has been trying to put everything together for a while to sell it to WWE.

Not *posted* yet, but if you're asking if they possess the tapes, I believe they own the entire SMW library.

Yeah that's what I meant, I didn't phrase it correctly.Thanks. I was wondering how it would work out, since I remember "Night of Legends" having a commercial release (with Dave Meltzer and Jim Cornette commentary, along with the original commentary for the event), and if they owned the other major shows too. I never saw the major shows, except "Night of Legends", but did they have commentary on them or not? I assume they did but just a question.

Not *posted* yet, but if you're asking if they possess the tapes, I believe they own the entire SMW library.

Hell they have had the Smokey Mountain library for probably 5 or 6 years. Shown about 5 or 6 hours of that library as well.

I just hope they fill some of the gaps. I mean we are expecting to watch this like RAW or Smackdown but close would be great

I'm definitely not giving them money again until they actually show commitment to this stuff. Something is obviously better than nothing but 3 episodes of Mid-South that isn't even close to being in chronological order isn't doing more than making me pay attention to see if they ever fill in the gaps. Which they never did with World Class so I'm not that optimistic.

The fact that they are uploading a few episodes here and there of so many different territories actually makes me think it's less likely they commit to giving something close to a full run of any of them.