Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

So there's a new series coming soon called "Ride Along", which has two people in a car with a camera. That's actually kind of clever, and Table for 3 has been pretty good, so maybe it will be interesting?

Robert Llewellyn did it several years ago with Car Pool, and it worked really well as a weekly short-form video podcast, but didn't really translate when UKTV gave him an over-the-air deal. He was also interviewing his passengers in an informed, anecdotal manner, this has the Bella Twins going on a road trip, so fuck that.

Jerry Seinfeld does the same thing, though with the addition of sitting in a restaurant and at times other places in the area with his Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee web series.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think ZZ will turn it around. They've already has Devin Taylor released on the show, and the trailer for next week's show doesn't look too promising for Cal Bishop, so they need one guy to actually break through. He also comes across as a nice chap, naive, but honest, so I can see his being the big redemption story of the show.

But why would ZZ, of all people, be the one that breaks through?

It seems apparent to me that they're setting up Mojo Rawley, Dana Brooke, and to a lesser extent, Tyler Breeze and Jordan/Gable as the ones that will break through. (Obviously, we already know Tyler ends up on the main roster.)

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii......

That was my absolute favorite thing of the old VOD Classics, I still have the run they had there on DVD. From the relaunch after buying time back from WWF to right around the end of 1987. It was after the UWF buyout as Sting just started showing up when the service ended.

Generally looking for "classics" in 1980s TV is going to set you up for disappointment. Especially the main shows, they were almost always squash matches and promos. The "secondary" shows like Power Pro, Worldwide and whatever the secondary Memphis show was where you could find some good arena matches.

I actually think ZZ will turn it around. They've already has Devin Taylor released on the show, and the trailer for next week's show doesn't look too promising for Cal Bishop, so they need one guy to actually break through. He also comes across as a nice chap, naive, but honest, so I can see his being the big redemption story of the show.

But why would ZZ, of all people, be the one that breaks through?

It seems apparent to me that they're setting up Mojo Rawley, Dana Brooke, and to a lesser extent, Tyler Breeze and Jordan/Gable as the ones that will break through. (Obviously, we already know Tyler ends up on the main roster.)

"Break through" was probably the wrong choice of words. What I mean is going from looking like they're going to get the chop to improving and impressing the coaches. They've dedicated a lot of TV time to ZZ so far, and given that the show is a little scripted in places "naive kid starts badly, works hard and improves" is a better narrative than "naive kid starts badly, stays crap, gets sacked"

One episode of newly upped WCW I can vouch for match-wise is 7/12/86, a GAB special with Tully/Wahoo and LOD/MX. All the matches are from Dorton Arena in Raleigh and it looks terrific, at least at twilight when you can see the neat design and giant windows. As for classic angle episodes, I'd have to look at recaps.

Also I have to disagree a bit with goc, WCW was certainly full of squashes but was also good for a nice long main event fairly often. Especially in the first couple of years. Flair/Garvin, etc.

Edit: Rewatching the 7/12/86 episode, there's also a pretty enjoyable Garvin/Black Bart match.

"Break through" was probably the wrong choice of words. What I mean is going from looking like they're going to get the chop to improving and impressing the coaches. They've dedicated a lot of TV time to ZZ so far, and given that the show is a little scripted in places "naive kid starts badly, works hard and improves" is a better narrative than "naive kid starts badly, stays crap, gets sacked"

I agree, and I hope so. I'm actually rooting for ZZ to turn it around. For all his faults, he seems like a decent, humble guy - and out of all the TE contestants this year, his personality and "character" is the most ready-made for TV.

Josh (the TE winner) comes across as such an unlikable guy, even if they are pushing the whole "family man" persona on him. Man bun + James Franco lookalike = total douchebag.

It's great that they put these up I just wish it was the Worldwide or Pro Show instead. I honestly have a hard time watching small studio shows now. I loved them back then but I prefer the arena atmosphere they had on Worldwide and Pro.

Johnny is right on the promos. Those were the best part.

Perhaps I'm in the bubble here, but I wonder if the NWA Classics service might have poked someone in WWE to realize there's an audience out there willing to pay for classic stuff.

You'd have to figure just dumping the already converted stuff would attract older fans to sign up, and any sub you get is basically free money without having to buy more libraries or pay to produce more shows.

There has to be some reason they went from apparent indifference to pre-Monday Night Wars programming for over a year to adding four dozen WCWs in two days, and that makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of, it looks like they added 12/28/85, which is a pretty well-known classic episode. Flair/Garvin is easily ****+ and Magnum/Ole is good too.