Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE apparently re-scanning the Stampede 16mm film reels in HD instead of using old SD video transfers is the cherry on top of the territory show rollout sundae:

W44EEtV.png

They were doing that with the Florida footage that saw during the Flair vs Dusty Rivalries Show. I was highly disappointed when I saw that they ripped the Mid Atlantic films from YouTube for the Flair vs Steamboat episode. They should just pony up with the money get those reels Cornette has cause those films holds up lot better than than regular broadcast footage.

It takes longer to digitalize with those reels but it's worth it cause tapes deteriorate.

WWE apparently re-scanning the Stampede 16mm film reels in HD instead of using old SD video transfers is the cherry on top of the territory show rollout sundae:

W44EEtV.png

They were doing that with the Florida footage that saw during the Flair vs Dusty Rivalries Show. I was highly disappointed when I saw that they ripped the Mid Atlantic films from YouTube for the Flair vs Steamboat episode. They should just pony up with the money get those reels Cornette has cause those films holds up lot better than than regular broadcast footage.

It takes longer to digitalize with those reels but it's worth it cause tapes deteriorate.

Now I need to check out that Rivalries episode.

As for the Cornette stuff, what he should really do is a Kickstarter for an HD conversion with donation tiers that get you Blu-Rays and/or downloads. His existing conversion (to SVHS) wasn't even that good by the standards of the SD era and now they look especially bad. Done right, they could look pretty gorgeous.

I wonder if this has got anything to do with Bret Hart's ownership of matches featuring himself.

Looks like it...

"The Stampede Wrestling episodes that WWE Network added last week have been removed. PWInsider reports that there may be rights issues with the material featuring Bret Hart. WWE owns the Stampede library but Bret has the rights to his matches that were transferred to him personally by his parents before they passed. WWE would technically need to license the footage from Hart to use it."

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/1207/604522/wwe-pulls-classic-promotion-due-to-bret-hart-matches/

I wonder if this has got anything to do with Bret Hart's ownership of matches featuring himself.

Looks like it...

"The Stampede Wrestling episodes that WWE Network added last week have been removed. PWInsider reports that there may be rights issues with the material featuring Bret Hart. WWE owns the Stampede library but Bret has the rights to his matches that were transferred to him personally by his parents before they passed. WWE would technically need to license the footage from Hart to use it."

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/1207/604522/wwe-pulls-classic-promotion-due-to-bret-hart-matches/

When did WWE buy the Stampede library? Presumedly it was in 1984 when they bought the promotion. Did his parents really transfer him ownership of his matches before that?

Yeah, Bret really shows some nerve in wanting to be compensated for matches that he legally owns by a publicly-traded company that just profited* off of their surprise inclusion to the service.

* Though the number of people that jumped into the Network specifically for Stampede could very well be marginal, of course.

It's just like when companies get flak for going after small companies that pose no threat to them. One of the points of copyright law is the owner has to go after any and all infringements lest they create the appearance of not protecting their property.