Pro Wrestling Only

Brock Lesnar

Grimmas

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When he's on he's one of the greatest big men ever. Love the Cena matches the Eddie match, the Punk match and the Taker Hell in the Cell. Probably the best Hell in the Cell ever.

Not so big on him as a babyface as it was a weird role for him. Although as a monster with a legit background he ruled. We are looking at a short period though. I'm unsure on Brock right now.

He has some absolutely huge highlights. I lean big on performing well in big matches and Brock is as good as they come. He's a lot like Volk Han to me, in the sense that we don't have a lot of him, but he has a lot of good stuff in a small amount of work. It's not Han-level stuff, but I have no issues with someone putting him on their list. Very interesting contender.

He has some absolutely huge highlights. I lean big on performing well in big matches and Brock is as good as they come. He's a lot like Volk Han to me, in the sense that we don't have a lot of him, but he has a lot of good stuff in a small amount of work. It's not Han-level stuff, but I have no issues with someone putting him on their list. Very interesting contender.

His career somehow feels less complete than Han's, though I'm not sure that's right. There's something special about Brock that makes him hard to dismiss, despite the limited weight of his resume. I can't imagine anybody else having those matches with Cena, for example. He'll be hard to rank, but that doesn't mean he's undeserving. He could also add significantly to his case over the next year.

Lesnar is a guy I'd really love to place because since his return to WWE, he's been consistently the only guy that makes me perk up and pay attention because the way he builds his matches since his return, HHH aside, have been so interesting and fascinating to watch that he excites me and frustrates me in equal measure. On one hand, those matches with Cena/Taker/Punk are such a spectacle because of the aura he's built up of himself through UFC and it's frustrating because he just GETS pro wrestling on such a level that it would have been amazing had he been around for the last decade. But, then maybe the mystique would be gone? Either way, he doesn't make my list but his past couple of years are absolutely fascinating and he's really the only guy in WWE that has had a must-see feel about him in years.

The mystique would definitely be gone. I've compared Brock to Andre in the past - he's a guy who feels like an event because he wrestles so rarely and his performances are generally spectacular. If he's on tv every week, that aura becomes impossible to maintain. Big Show's career would have been four times as good if he'd wrestled one fourth as often.

The mystique would definitely be gone. I've compared Brock to Andre in the past - he's a guy who feels like an event because he wrestles so rarely and his performances are generally spectacular. If he's on tv every week, that aura becomes impossible to maintain. Big Show's career would have been four times as good if he'd wrestled one fourth as often.

Yeah, I love that they use him as a special attraction. And his performances back that up. We've talked about how WWE grinds the appeal out of potential stars by cycling them through the same matches again and again. So I'm sure not going to punish Brock for what he's doing now. He's hurt more by not having a lot of years period.

• 6 months later...

How does he fare now that he has two more high end matches? Personally I wasn't so big on the Rumble match but the Reigns match was great and has been getting universal praise and it was 90% Brock. I just watched his matches vs Taker at Unforgiven & No Mercy in 2002 and you almost forget how good he is at stuff like selling and bumping now that he's booked like Broly. I'd say that with one more very good-great match he'd make my list. He's almost too special not to.

I agree that Reigns was at least as pivotal to the match as Lesnar, but I consider it a feather in Lesnar's cap too. Like Dylan said, Reigns sold, bumped, and hit Brock with such stiff shots, and even got the crowd into his come back. Brock meanwhile played his role to perfection and I adored his selling from the ring post spot on.

Of course Reigns can't have that match with anyone else, there is no one else who would be that believable to completely maul him. But that doesn't mean it was all Brock's match, not even close. To say Brock could have had that match with "a dozen other people" really undersells just how good Reigns was at selling and how hard he brought it when he was on offense.

I mean, imagine Dolph Ziggler in that same match and not only is Dolph doing silly cartoon bumping in between just laying there and pretending to be dead but he would be contributing absolutely nothing on offense that would look like it could even make Brock Lesnar feel pain much less hurt him.

• 2 months later...

He's making my list. He's had such an unbelievably great run these past 3 years and was pretty damn good in his first run too; I know he's not around much but I feel it's weird to punish a guy too much for not being on TV all time, negotiating a favorable deal for yourself doesn't mean you aren't a great wrestler.

​Also is the shittyness of the HHH matches an enormous indictment of Triple H's case for this project? That's just something I've been thinking about because I'm much higher on HHH than most people here, but when you compare Brock's work with HHH to Brock's work with literally everyone else it really makes HHH look terrible.