Pro Wrestling Only

The booking of Daniel Bryan going forward

shoe

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has discussed taking a personality test in WWE and being told that with his low scoring in ambition etc it's amazing that he has gotten as far as he has.

That saying - if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life - seems apt.

This isn't quite the complete story. It is just that the things Bryan values were different than the things he was being asked about. He clarified this by saying that the test asked things like "Would you like to be a multi -millionaire?" Or "Do you want to own a rolls Royse someday?" According to those parameters, he wasn't very driven but that it had nothing do with drive or ambition to be the best performer on the roster.

I remember seeing Rey's price tag recently. That'd be a starting point to figure it out at least.

What was it?

While it might not make Bryan more money to be on the indies, I wonder where the cutoff is for the current roster. Obviously the NXT guys would make more money on the indies (but are specifically accepting a pay cut in exchange for growth potential), but is a guy at the level of, say, Ziggler, leaving money on the table?

I was reading this news byte here:

http://411mania.com/wrestling/daniel-bryan-talks-wrestlemania-31-the-ic-title-more/

Specifically:

What does the Intercontinental Championship mean to Bryan?:

To me it’s the one title that I haven’t won in the WWE. I’ve been the United States champion, I’ve been the World Heavyweight champion, I’ve been the WWE champion, I’ve been the tag team champion. The Intercontinental championship is the only one I haven’t won, and to me I have been disappointed that — when I was a kid, the Intercontinental championship matches were usually the matches I looked forward to the most.

WrestleMania III everybody talks about Hulk Hogan slamming Andre the Giant, but when everybody remembers the great match, they’re remembering Ricky Steamboat versus Macho Man Randy Savage. Same thing with WrestleMania X, with Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon in a ladder match. So it’s one of those things where the Intercontinental title for a long time was so prestigious, but now for some reason it feels to me like it’s been devalued.

One of the things I would really like to do is win the Intercontinental championship at WrestleMania and make it be not just what it was before, but make it better than that. Make it so the Intercontinental championship is something that can headline pay-per-views, can headline all the live events we do throughout the country. I’ve been disappointed with how the Intercontinental championship has been treated, but I’m hoping after WrestleMania it’s going to change.

Looks like DB is trying to find the positives in his current situation and make the best out of it - the whole chicken salad out of chicken shit deal, I guess. Could be he is just being a good company guy and giving positive interviews, but if I had to guess I'd bet he is sincere about making the most out of his midcard status. If he really feels this way, I hope he does come out of WM31 with the Intercontinental title.

Although - I admire his ambitions to elevate that championship, even if he does win it, I doubt the way that belt is booked will change. The only hope he has there is if Lesnar re-signs with WWE and keeps the WWE World Title. I read recently that if Lesnar re-signs, he might keep the big belt, which will remain as a "special attraction" and the Intercontinental and US titles will be elevated in importance and defended more.

If that really is the case, then I guess DB is just the guy to put that title on. Probably wishful thinking on my part, though. :(

Even if Roman Reigns wins the WWE title at WrestleMania, it would still be the smart thing to do to try and "re-value" the IC belt to where it can credibly headline the B-tours, and headline Smackdown. It wouldn't be the worst of ideas to have a "soft" brand split, and in the current environment, Bryan is the best candidate to raise the value of the belt and raise the value of Smackdown as its "ace".

I really hope to be wrong but it's kind of sad to read everyone hoping the WWE will stop treating the IC title like a jobber belt just because Bryan may win it. Nothing would make me happier than seeing the title back to 1987 standards, but what are the real odds whoever wins the ladder match just wont' be losing every week on TV?

If Bryan wins (are all indications that he will? He has to, right?) a unification program with whomever the US Champ is could be great. Reigns is likely going to be struggling on top, and saddling him with Big Show does him no favors, but at least a potential Cena or Rusev vs Bryan program underneath would make for a match to get excited for.

I doubt that the belt would stay "elevated" for long, but it's something. I have heard others say this, as well, but if it's me and I am dead-set on pushing Reigns as hard as I can, Rusev beats Cena and turns Bryan into a puddle of goo before the beast killer Roman Reigns dispatches of another monster. We'd all hate it, of course, and I don't envision it happening. More likely, Reigns wins at Mania with a poor reaction, the Show feud dies a death, they half-ass his push and he winds up just another guy before 2016.

I don't see how Roman can win right now. They haven't done much at all in making him look like a legit threat to Brock and Brock is doing his normal negotiation tactics to ensure he gets the best possible contract for himself, which means all signs point to him retaining. The problem now becomes about what you do with Roman, and right now, hanging him with Big Show or Kane helps nobody. He's in a pretty bad spot.

I'm expecting Barrett to win at Wrestlemania because of all the jobs he has done lately, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryan win the title shortly thereafter. It would be nice to see them save the IC/US title unification match for Summerslam, with Bryan and Cena being the champions at that time.

The only issue is that if Cena and Bryan are feuding with each other, who is left for Brock to feud with? Probably Orton, which doesn't intrigue me at all.

Barrett, Ziggler and Ambrose getting big pushes post-WM would add a lot of new scenarios to the top of the card, which they desperately need, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't see how Roman can win right now. They haven't done much at all in making him look like a legit threat to Brock and Brock is doing his normal negotiation tactics to ensure he gets the best possible contract for himself, which means all signs point to him retaining. The problem now becomes about what you do with Roman, and right now, hanging him with Big Show or Kane helps nobody. He's in a pretty bad spot.

It would just be another half-ass push if Brock retains. I'm not a huge Reigns fan, but at some point they actually have to PUSH someone. If nothing else, I'd enjoy reading the complaining if they really were pushing him down peoples' throats. I think the outcome with the highest (by a wide margin) probability is Reigns winning clean and them taking their lumps on the reaction and the next night. Unfortunately, he's fucked because they don't have anyone ready for him for April.

Dave said that Reigns was way over at the house shows this weekend. More over than Bryan. Their self fulfilling prophecy is starting to work. Although it's going to get tougher when that red light goes on

Eh, this is kinda silly but the report I read from the show in Aneheim was that Bryan got the biggest response. But who really cares though? For years the house show atmosphere and response from fans has been very different from TV.

What's kinda weird to me is how Reigns has been working the pre-intermission match in almost every house show for a while now. Cena and Bryan keep headlining shows where Roman is booked. For all the hesitation they had with D-Bry last year/late 2013, they still gave him the lead on the B shows. Not sure if this means they are trying to protect Reigns or not have enough confidence in him yet.

After looking at past WrestleMania cards ad nauseum for the last few days, tossing Bryan down the pile is actually the norm for Vince and wrestlers. Take into consideration these Mania headliners and the slot on their card the next year...

Hulk Hogan & Mr. T vs. Paul Orndorff & Roddy Piper (WrestleMania)

- WrestleMania 2 - Orndorff is curtain jerking with Muraco in a horrible match with a bad finish

Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy (Wrestlemania 2)

- WrestleMania 3 - Hillbilly Jim, Little Beaver, & Haiti Kid vs. King Kong Bundy, Lord Littlebrook, & Little Tokyo - Bundy in a comedy midcard match

Randy Savage vs. Ted DIbiase (WrestleMania 4)

- WrestleMania 5 - Ted Dibiase vs. Brutus Beefcake in third from the bottom

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage (WrestleMania 5)

- WrestleMania 6 - Randy Savage & Sherri Martel vs. Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire - This feels midcard but it was heavily pushed at the time.

Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt Slaughter (WrestleMania 7)

- WrestleMania 8 - Big Boss Man, Virgil, Sgt Slaughter, & Jim Duggan vs.The Nasty Boys, Repoman, & The Mountie

Bret Hart vs.Yokozuna (WrestleMania 10)

WrestleMania 11 - Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund - How was this built up leading up to Mania? I don't really know the week to week booking. It just feels beneath Bret for a Mania

WrestleMania 11 - Owen Hart & Yokozuna vs. The Smoking Gunns - Former world champ going for the tag titles

Triple H vs. The Rock vs. Mick Foley vs. The Big Show (WrestleMania 2000)

- WrestleMania 17 - The Big Show vs. Raven vs. Kane (Hardcore Title) - Big drop for Big Show.

Triple H vs. Chris Jericho (WrestleMania 18)

WrestleMania 19 - Chris Jericho vs. HBK feels like a big deal but not for one of the world titles or one of the matches the show was featuring as a main event

Chris Benoit vs.Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania 20)

WrestleMania 21 - Chris Benoit in the Money in the Bank feels eerily like Bryan in in this ladder match except for a lower title and no shot at the world title.

Triple H vs. Randy Orton (WrestleMania 25)

WrestleMania 26 - Randy Orton vs. Ted Dibiase vs. Cody Rhodes - This doesn't feel special

WrestleMania 26 - HHH vs. Sheamus - What are the takes on HHH working Sheamus? Too big of a drop down the card? Should have been a bigger deal?

The Miz vs. John Cena (WrestleMania 27)

Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy Long - This feels like quite a drop

There are other examples when considering the secondary world title holders and challengers that were not Mania main events and their positions the next year. You can even look at co-main events and opening slots in meaningless matches that happens quite often.

Most of the drops down the card Will is because they're heels. Now looking at babyfaces the only ones who slid down the card are Benoit, and Bret. Once a heel gets beat by the babyface in WWE they move down the card again until it's time to heat them up.

Foley was always seen as somehwat of a placeholder for Austin when he got the belt. That year's Mania he was involved in a midcard match with Big Show, but it did have main event implications. The winner got to referee the main event between Rock/Austin. He was retired in 2000, but got pulled out of retirement to do the Fatal 4-Way main event. Everything after that was booked as a special attraction.

Chris Jericho never had a babyface run with the title. When he main evented against HHH in 2002 he was a heel. The next year he got a high-profile match with Michaels. Never occured to me that he never had a babyface run until you brought that up, kind of surprising in retrospect.

They're booking Bryan pretty much exactly the same way they booked Benoit.