Pro Wrestling Only

Elimination Chamber 2015

Fantastic

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just about to post what Will said. Thought it was a really good match. Steen/Owens is a really good pro wrestling. His in ring charisma is great. He'd be a great fit in any era. Also, Cena was terrific but that's unsurprising at this point.

I loved how much Cena gave him in the first half of the match. It was all heat with some really great cut offs and compelling offense and good selling. They basically bypassed the shine altogether. I think that was to make Owens look even stronger (and I had thought through the match to make him look stronger in defeat). As it was, it made the match feel uneven to me. Unbalanced. I think that the finishing stretch was way too long with way too many kick outs. That said, they were relatively judicious in the use of the Pop Up Power Bomb and AA. Because of that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I would have liked to see more selling to delay the pins more, maybe? The one place I DIDN'T want to see it was after the Pop Up Powerbomb. He sort of fell onto him slowly. I would have loved him having an adrenaline burst and really driving in the pin there with the feet moving and what not. That's a nitpick though.

Really great heat segment and a fun and compelling finishing stretch that went on way too long relative to the way they structured the match. In some ways I kind of liken it to Sabu vs Cena actually, in that Owens got to do all sort of stuff that we never see against Cena and that in and of itself was a lot of fun to see.

I've said "compelling" twice now and I'll say it again. It more compelling than great, but I'm totally okay with that because compelling is so rare.

I don't mind the kickouts because each guy actually only kicked out of one finisher. They kicked out of tons of moves but the established finishers were protected.

How is it protecting a finisher by kicking out of it on a "debut" match? The fact that he still beat Cena with it makes it way less harmful but they could've done better job considering all the moves Owens did.

I mean it wasn't that big of a deal but Cena kicking out of it was completely unnecesary.

I don't mind the kickouts because each guy actually only kicked out of one finisher. They kicked out of tons of moves but the established finishers were protected.

How is it protecting a finisher by kicking out of it on a "debut" match?

Because Owens went for it too soon.

That's not protecting the finish, even though I get your point.

I may be in the minority but I thought Neville vs Bo Dallas was pretty damn good. It was caught in the usual divas spot after a great match. Of course they should have chemistry with their work in NXT

I enjoyed it a lot even though I felt they had no chemistry in NXT. Bo didn't embarass himself anywhere and the match was laid out perfectly as a Neville showcase. Bo actually brought some unique offense too.

Perfectly fine wrestling.

And holy shit, Mark Henry!

How is it protecting a finisher by kicking out of it on a "debut" match?

Because Owens went for it too soon.

This.

Terrific performance from both guys and they'll be lucky to get that level of heat back the rest of the night. 2.999 mass kickouts can lose me fast but they kept me enthralled. I enjoyed Lesnar/Reigns a surprising amount on second watch, and I'm not sure if the body will hold up as well as that one, but obviously it has a memorable finish instead of a lukewarm one, so they're neck and neck until I take my live glasses off.

Oh, and I especially enjoyed a distinct lack of "T--s is a----me".

I think, as others have said already, that in real time it may have seemed like too many kickouts, but because of the result and the fact that they were shooting for this as an historic, star-making debut, they needed to go there in order to make it look sufficiently epic in hindsight. And also to make it feel sufficiently epic to everyone watching live in case they were wondering who this guy is who is beating Cena clean as a sheet.