Pro Wrestling Only

SummerSlam Brooklyn... It's Time!!!

goodhelmet

I don't think it is too late for Cena to give someone a rub for beating him for the US title. Something is going to go down where Rollins isn't a double champion and the belt probably goes back to Cena in that scenario. It isn't like if Sami Zayn captured the US title from John Cena the fans would go, "Big deal, Rollins beat him for it too..." but that said, I don't know if I have faith in them to do something solid with the idea. If this is really the end of Cena the touring US champ, it was a heckuva run.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About Stephen Amell, I am actually a big fan of his show Arrow, so I was definitely down for him doing something at Summerslam and I did walk away disappointed with the match. I do have to wonder if they were better off just having it be Neville vs Stardust with Amell and Barrett in their corners or maybe even Amell vs Stardust straight up provided he put in a good amount of time in rehearsal and training for the match. The tag team thing made it all look awkward. If they could trust Lawrence Taylor and Floyd Mayweather to do it on their own, they should have trusted Amell as well.

I don't think it is too late for Cena to give someone a rub for beating him for the US title. Something is going to go down where Rollins isn't a double champion and the belt probably goes back to Cena in that scenario. It isn't like if Sami Zayn captured the US title from John Cena the fans would go, "Big deal, Rollins beat him for it too..." but that said, I don't know if I have faith in them to do something solid with the idea. If this is really the end of Cena the touring US champ, it was a heckuva run.

If the US Title goes back to Cena seriously fuck this company.

I've seen a lot of complaining (not just here) about the Arrow guy being the face-in-peril in his match. What else should he have done? Received the hot tag and then cleaned house, beating up both Cody and Wade at the same time? He's a skinny actor whose athletic training is mostly in parkour-type stuff, I'd say that taking a shitkicking is his ideal role in a wrestling match.

I agree with this 100% I hate when celebrities one-up wrestlers. PROTECT DA BIZZ!

Amell did not embarrass himself at all. This was laid out perfectly.

My thoughts:

- I'm sorry, but I skipped a bunch of matches. I just don't have the energy, stamina, or desire to sit through a four-hour show anymore. I didn't bother with Sheamus/Orton, the Tag Team Title Match (more in a second), the I-C Title Match, or Wyatts vs. Reigns/Ambrose. NEW DAY ROCKS so I listened to their opening in-ring, but Prime Time Players are better as heels, and I don't give two fucks about Los Matadores or the Lucha Dragons because they're meaningless. I like Miz (yeah, I do!) but don't care about either Ryback or Show at this point. I like Ambrose and Reigns, but Harper is a non-factor and Bray Wyatt is one of the most overrated guys ever. I fast-forwarded to the finish in case there was a stupid turn, and I'm glad there wasn't.

- Rusev-Ziggler sucked and had a terrible finish. Lana looks so out of place with Ziggler - I can't stand it. Summer Rae as Lana 2.0 was a funny sight gag but not something I ever need to see again.

- The Amell/Neville vs. Stardust/Wyatt match was fun for what it was. Amell was surprisingly athletic and looked really good, but he has the charisma of a potted plant. Still, it was cool - and I say that as someone who has never seen Arrow.

- I was surprised to see Cena vs. Rollins go on so early. Fun match. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I'm assuming a lot of people bitched about the Jon Stewart finish. Hey, I liked it - because at least it was a surprise (to me anyway). I'm not sure where they go from here with the irrelevant U.S. Title though. I really hope it just gets dropped, because having both I-C and U.S. never made any sense to me.

- I watched the women just to see how their match would differ from last night's NXT match, and of course it was night and day. Still, with nine ladies in there, it went about as well as it possibly could have. Am I being too kind?

- Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by Owens vs. Cesaro? I mean, it wasn't bad or anything - maybe I'm spoiled and/or expected too much? - but I thought it could've been better. Both guys were terrific, don't get me wrong, but the match was missing something for me. Also, Cesaro went to the well with that uppercut way too many damn times. He abused the move almost as much as Brock does with his "suplex city" bullshit. Not a good trend, guys, and not one I want to see encouraged.

- Brock vs. Taker was better than I expected, but the finish REALLY sucked. I was expecting SOMEONE to be the bell-ringer (Kane? Sting? I don't know...ANYONE out of the ordinary), but it ended up being the usual "nobody" timekeeper.

My post sounds very critical, but I don't think it was a bad show necessarily. It wasn't one of the top shows of the year or anything, but I had fun with it.

One thing I'll say in defense of SummerSlam: The curmudgeons on this board bitching about Jon Stewart's hosting - particularly the opener with Mick Foley - really need to lighten the fuck up. He did a fantastic job! He was passionate and convincing. He can act! That puts him ahead of most of the horrible celebrity hosts that have been on Raw over the years. I can't state strongly enough just how good he was in the role. And no, I've never watched a day of The Daily Show, so there's no "fanboyism" behind my post. The last thing I saw Jon Stewart in, for better or worse, was Big Daddy with Adam Sandler.

I didn't see the match yet but I've heard about Brock vs. Taker and the finish. Doesn't the finish suggest that Taker CAN'T beat Brock? The only time he's had the advantages were the low blows and some unintentional assistance from the referee.

Based of what I've heard the rubber match could be Taker knowing he tapped and really didn't beat Brock and wanting to get a true victory and avenging his WM loss.....and this year's WM would be the best way to do that.

I'll watch the match and give thoughts later...

Doesn't that go against the idea that he's stuck in his ways?

There is no aspect of last night's show -- apart from Jon Stewart being on -- that made me think "this is a Vince show".

Vince has never gone in for cutesy booking. I'm wondering if this is some form of "punishment" for the rejection of Cena?

Just seems weird for him to start doing this stuff in his old age.

Doesn't that go against the idea that he's stuck in his ways?

There is no aspect of last night's show -- apart from Jon Stewart being on -- that made me think "this is a Vince show".

Vince has never gone in for cutesy booking. I'm wondering if this is some form of "punishment" for the rejection of Cena?

Just seems weird for him to start doing this stuff in his old age.

The moment WCW closed and there was no competition the Vince you knew was dead.

I don't think that's true. A lot of Cena's big wins are 100% Vince, a lot of the Taker matches, he is expert at creating post card moments. Benoit winning the title. Eddie. Even Bryan.

I think there are lots of hallmarks of his style you can see across the 00s. But the finishes to the main events of WM and SS this year are not recognisably Vince.

I just finished that match. No idea what to do with that. I need to think on it more. If the top heel can work as a babyface in one of the biggest shows of the year and it doesn't really matter long-term, then wrestling is irreparably broken.

Counterpoint or an impending sign of the sort of Russo-ness we got during the Attitude Era?

220px-IYH16.jpg

Rollins looked so much better in white. Had a HBK vibe going on. Like a proper star.

I enjoyed Summerslam quite a bit although I was fatigued by the end of the Rollins/Cena match. The tag title match was the best thing all weekend (I need to rewatch Sasha/Bayley).

It seems the screwy finishes didn't bother me half as much as some here but I guess that's down to my lack of investment in the product right now.

The finish to Cena-Rollins didn't bug me at all because it was very clear why they did it. The finish to Undertaker-Brock in and of itself isn't even that bad to me for prolonging a feud, it's more that it clearly sets up a rubber match I'm not really interested in.

They were the top babyfaces in that market and had been all along, though. Seth is supposedly the top heel in the WWE Universe, not just in smaller markets. Had that been the story for the last six months, then that would be completely different.

It was interesting to me how thoroughly Rollins played to the chants at the beginning. It's something that the Authority has mentioned in the last year, how the fans aren't behind Cena. Rollins was practically basking in the fact the fans were behind him, which I feel is a different reaction than most nominal heel Cena opponents have had.

They are leaning into it more and more, is what I'm saying.