Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List Part One

Grimmas

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intergender wrestling and penis spots. Joey Ryan is the antithesis of a good, worthwhile wrestler. Maybe my least favorite wrestler.

I would take issue with Ryan's branch of wrestling, but generally that matches are woman vs. man just doesn't bother me unless it's intentionally creepy like that one Beyond clip that was the worst thing I ever saw. But like I have no problem watching Kana exchange full force strikes with men where it's treated like just a normal match. I mean obviously I can understand why it would bother some but I feel more insulted when I watch a bad match than one that just doesn't follow the norm.

It's amazing that someone like Joey Ryan hasn't understood how wrestling is so much more fun when everyone involved pretends that it's deathly serious.

I wouldn't go THAT far because I don't mind comedy in wrestling. I'm a fan of guys like Catweazle and Santino but the difference is their stuff is actually funny.

I think I wouldn't have a problem with it if domestic violence wasn't an actual thing. In a perfect society, it would be fine.

Idk man on man and woman on woman and woman on man domestic violence exist too. But I'd be fine with leaving it at pro-wres only instead of verging into a discussion on prominence of types of domestic violence.

I love Takaiwa in the late 90s, then I have heard so little about him after that. That's a fate that seemed common with early 2000s guys. It's hard to get a real handle for so many of them because tons of opinions just aren't out there.

I think a strong case for Takaiwa could be put forward since he is still going strong, though it is more piecing together fun performances in tag matches and the occasional great match than an obviously great run, especially for folks who follow japanese wrestling more casually.

Big pop for Dean's picks. I am sure he won't disappoint. I also wonder how many Battlarts wrestlers we're gonna go through before we get to Trish Stratus.

Assuming brainfollower put in his ballot, quite a few I hope.

Joey Ryan is the one that left me scratching my head. I totally disagree with the pick, but I don't think we should be able to yay or nay individual ballots. That just seems too elitist. I feel we should honor everyone's opinion and enjoy the diverse picks we are seeing.

Joey Ryan is the one that left me scratching my head. I totally disagree with the pick, but I don't think we should be able to yay or nay individual ballots. That just seems too elitist. I feel we should honor everyone's opinion and enjoy the diverse picks we are seeing.

It's not like you wipe out the vote by disagreeing with it. Arguing merits is part of the fun of this thing.

It's not like you wipe out the vote by disagreeing with it. Arguing merits is part of the fun of this thing.

WingedEagle made the suggestion, it was a joke, but I wanted to voice an opinion before people started really considering it. I'm with you on the arguing of merits being part of the project. I just hope people don't start taking the criticism of their ballots too seriously. This should all be in fun and for our love of wrestling.

If you rank your most eccentric pick by how high on your list they are as the only voter, I'm pretty sure Zenk is my most eccentic pick.

Ha ha, I'll be truly shocked if there was another Zenk voter!

As the list was progressing, I was starting to wonder just how high I'd actually put Zenk on my list. Never did I consider that a second person might have put him on their ballot. Good work anonymous voter

2006 Smarkschoice rankings for today’s dudes:
130) Javier Cruz – 307 Points
149) Silver King – 234 Points
181) Kuniaki Kobayashi – 159 Points
229) Pimpinela Escarlata – 84 Points
246) Hisakatsu Oya – 69 Points
257) Mad Dog Vachon - 59 Points
277) Yumi Fukawa – 44 Points
285) Doug Furnas – 33 Points
293) El Felino – 27 Points
355) Milano Collection AT – 23 Points
361) Hector Garza – 20 Points
372) Tatsuhito Taikawa – 17 Points
417) Yoshinobu Kanemaru – 6 Points

Fair to say that Cruz and King are the guys who've fallen the furthest so far in the decade b/w the two lists. The four workers who’ve taken the biggest plunges so far have all been luchadors (Cruz, King, Faroan, and Gran Apache). Worth nothing that the SC list only had 443 workers while PWO ’16 has 567 (or 124 more), so you can't really make a one-for-one comparison. If you're a low-level guy who's a hundred spots below where you were in '06 (a la Kanemaru), that could still be considered breaking even. Some of the lucha changes may just be that there was way less old Mexican footage online ten years ago and people clung tighter to those luchadors they had seen, even if it was someone like Silver King in WCW. I’m sort of surprised Garza didn’t do better overall. Cruz feels like a guy who would narrowly miss a lot of lucha fans lists. I just hadn’t seen enough of his work by the deadline to justify voting for him.

Marc Mero feels like a surprise vote recipient to me. Which isn’t to say he’s terrible (he had good matches by the end of his WCW run), but because he would just never even cross my mind in the context of making a list. But I’ll be saying that about tons of people on here. Shine on, DMJ.

• Would have thought Furnas would be higher on the SC list. Maybe not so much on ours.
  • Dave Taylor at #499 is cool even if it’s too low. Surprised he got no votes in SC ’06.
  • Even more surprised that no one voted for Kanemura back then. Violent Japanese indies were en vogue in '06, and that was still two years before his sexual harassment suit.
  • The photo of Red and Don West is just delightful.

When I was a kid I thought Z-Man was cool because his name was Z-Man. That was before I watched him wrestle. Then I was like "He's not nearly as cool as a guy named Z-Man should be." Then I found out his name was Tom Zenk and I was like "Oh that makes more sense. That's how a Tom Zenk would wrestle I guess."