Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 3

Grimmas

The Rock's punches are like a Marufuji Superkick, it looks great the first time you see it but then you watch more wrestling and you're not 11 anymore and you realise how stupid it looks. Would still take both over Thatcher's headbutt.

It does not help that he punches exclusively with his right hand. I get dominant hand and everything but not even attempting to punch with your other hand is kind of ridiculous and I probably like the Rock more than most people here.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing a gazillion punches per match really betrays you as a not so great worker anyway. Oh wait...

Luckily we're past the workrate mentality that included wisdom like "chops=great tehnical wrestling" and pretended amount of moves used is a valid criteria to judge wrestlers on.

Throwing a gazillion punches per match really betrays you as a not so great worker anyway. Oh wait...

Luckily we're past the workrate mentality that included wisdom like "chops=great tehnical wrestling" and pretended amount of moves used is a valid criteria to judge wrestlers on.
Personally I still like that some people talk about 'limited movesets' because I take those 2 words as a code that means 'ignore everything I say about wrestling'

Personally I still like that some people talk about 'limited movesets' because I take those 2 words as a code that means 'ignore everything I say about wrestling'

The criticism for "throwing a gazillion punches" has nothing to do with limited moveset actually. I'm a Choshu guy, so, moveset, really...

Which makes you even more small minded than they are. Nothing wrong with wanting to see some cool shit. Doesn't mean you can't have a brilliant brawl mostly made up of punches and fantastic because of the hate, the story they tell, the facials etc. But there is also nothing wrong with someone having a wide, varied move set and to me it is an advantage because it makes the matches more unpredictable and gives far more opportunities for different spots, counters, finishes. It is about working smartly - the reason someone like Kevin Owens sucks is because he can't build a match and just throws big moves around without them having to make sense.

Look at all the amazing 90s matches from AJPW and NJPW - the offence and variety/coolness of it was what made it stand out from so much staid US wrestling at that time.

Can somebody justify Rock over Maeda? I know Maeda vs. Cena at Wrestlemania would have been so much better.

Everyone here has watched a Rock match, and most people here haven't seen many Maeda matches. That is probably the real reason. One guy was on TV and having big matches at the peak of wrestling's popularity. The other guy is a shoot style worker that you'd have to scour the internet to watch. It makes perfect sense to me.

Exactly! I'm fact a wrestler should be able to get bonus points for having a compelling match doing nothing but punches!!!!

Can somebody justify Rock over Maeda? I know Maeda vs. Cena at Wrestlemania would have been so much better.

Everyone here has watched a Rock match, and most people here haven't seen many Maeda matches. That is probably the real reason. One guy was on TV and having big matches at the peak of wrestling's popularity. The other guy is a shoot style worker that you'd have to scour the internet to watch. It makes perfect sense to me.

Although the counterpoint here is that because The Rock is so prominent, most people have seen all of his worst work from watching him week in week out, which can count against him. Whereas people who have seen Maeda are more likely to have focused mainly on the pimped stuff and not seen him at his worst.

If it's a great punch what difference does it make?

Offense = punch. Defense = punch. Comeback = punch. At some point, do something else. Like, anything else, even basic stuff. Please. It's just lazy now. Plus at some point, if you throw a terrific looking punch but at the end of the day you can't punch out your opponent for good, you're actually a shitty puncher kayfabe-wise, no matter how good it looks. But the killer is the no-selling comeback a-la Hogan. Wait, Lawler hasn't showed up yet ? My bad. (I voted for Lawler. But in the lower end of my top 100)

Exactly! I'm fact a wrestler should be able to get bonus points for having a compelling match doing nothing but punches!!!!

True, but someone should also get props for a match focused around body part work with lots of cool, varied offence working on a limb, not just taking a lazy approach to it and calling it minimalist. Less can be more, especially if you are a Jim Breaks who can make little things seem incredible...but nobody is telling me Kenta Kobashi would have been a better worker if he had ditched all the bombs and varied shit and had a tiny move set, relying on punch exchanges and personality to have great matches.

Steve Austin vs Undertaker in 2001 is a prime example of a lazy, lazy match where they just work punch exchanges for twenty minutes. Give me dives and suplexes and bombs over that anyday, so long as they are put in smartly.

True, but someone should also get props for a match focused around body part work with lots of cool, varied offence working on a limb, not just taking a lazy approach to it and calling it minimalist. Less can be more, especially if you are a Jim Breaks who can make little things seem incredible...but nobody is telling me Kenta Kobashi would have been a better worker if he had ditched all the bombs and varied shit and had a tiny move set, relying on punch exchanges and personality to have great matches.

Steve Austin vs Undertaker in 2001 is a prime example of a lazy, lazy match where they just work punch exchanges for twenty minutes. Give me dives and suplexes and bombs over that anyday, so long as they are put in smartly.

No, but if he did 20% less stuff in his matches I'd love him 100% more.

And this is why the WKO 100 is superior, as we just ban people who don't recognize shootstyle is badass.

Pretty insane to criticize Lawler (presumably) for not being able to punch out his opponents when he was the 25x Memphis champion or whatever.

No-sell comeback + piledriver. Punches amounted to shit since it wa 95% of his offense. But anyway, I never bought in the Lawler hype as this GOAT candidate and miracle worker. I like Lawler quite a bit, I think he's very good and I love some of his feuds. I guess it's not enough.