Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 3

Grimmas

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Endless chops are brilliant and lots of punches means laziness, got it.

Aside from everything else that's been said to debunk this nonsense: chops make more sense than punches from a biological standpoint in a worked match. You really can chop a guy in the chest as hard as you possibly can, a hundred times in a row, and have him still come back for more. In what universe can you punch a guy in the head as hard as you possibly can a hundred times in a row (clean shots, not the grazing jabs that count for points in boxing matches) and have them still be as fresh as a daisy, or even not break your own hand? One of the most common complaints you'll hear over and over again from non-fans after watching an average American match is "it's ridiculous that they hit each other that many times in the face and nobody even has a black eye".

Eh. I didn't read Maeda's approach and going low as "buying time" as much as "okay, you giant jackass, let's have a real fight then."

But it wasn't a "real fight" by all acounts. He asked Inoki permission to finish him at the end, didn't get it and then stormed off. If he wanted to have a "real fight" the match would've looked much different than it did. How do you even envision Maeda buying time and trying to work a match with a giant broomstick if not doing what he did?

Endless chops are brilliant and lots of punches means laziness, got it.

Aside from everything else that's been said to debunk this nonsense: chops make more sense than punches from a biological standpoint in a worked match. You really can chop a guy in the chest as hard as you possibly can, a hundred times in a row, and have him still come back for more. In what universe can you punch a guy in the head as hard as you possibly can a hundred times in a row (clean shots, not the grazing jabs that count for points in boxing matches) and have them still be as fresh as a daisy, or even not break your own hand? One of the most common complaints you'll hear over and over again from non-fans after watching an average American match is "it's ridiculous that they hit each other that many times in the face and nobody even has a black eye".

This.

Plus, since they actually chop each other to pieces like in the infamous Kobashi vs Sasaki match, the skin does turn blue. Throwing a gazillion punches to the face with basically no effect just looks stupid in the end, especially when you never win the match with, well, a final punch. Punching a guy in the face is not akin to slapping his chest with an open hand. So yeah, there's a difference.

Not saying chop exchanges can't be lazy as fuck, as Benoit used to do in WWE for instance. The Kobashi vs Sasaki spectacle was amazing and it was a good fit for this match and its setting. And it's the fact they go so long that makes it great, because it's so ridiculous no one expects them to go to those lenghts. When it became just a formula, it became as dumb as a Ric Flair goof spot. Fun and dumb. And when Kojima did his own version, it became just bad.

Surprised about some of the comments on Low Ki. I was disappointed he finished outside the 100 and think he has a very good case for being considered a top 100 wrestler of all time. Childs summed up Ki's positive points nicely. In terms of guys who I voted for based significantly on their 2000s US indies work, Ki was second only behind Danielson (although it was close between him and Joe). He is clearly a step above people like Hero and Generico who will finish ahead of him and I him ahead of Styles as well. Ki had a unique style that really worked, was adaptive, and like Childs said he has a 15+ year track record of high level matches. Seems like a reasonable "just missed" guy to me.

I think the Low Ki criticism translates to "He's a great worker, but I hate every time that I have to begrudgingly admit that about a guy who played to 'This is awesome' and 'Match of the Year' chants in front of a few hundred attention whores far too frequently."

I think the Low Ki criticism translates to "He's a great worker, but I hate every time that I have to begrudgingly admit that about a guy who played to 'This is awesome' and 'Match of the Year' chants in front of a few hundred attention whores far too frequently."

Charles, would you like a job as a spin doctor? You do an excellent job of condensing what I think into handy soundbites and succinct slogans!

I will say that I much prefer Tenryu's "chop you in the throat" approach to Chopbashi. Plus Tenryu will punch you in the face too.

I can't remember if I had Low Ki on my list. If I did then it was in that low region which is constantly changing. I think his resume is thinner than people admit. Especially in the last couple years, with the constant bridge burning and going back and forth. Love his early stuff with Red though.

What's with this myth that Maeda wasn't very good at shoot style?

I wonder how many of the cool picks in the top 100 will drop straight away. I'm surprised that Backlund did so well as it seemed the height of his critical reappraisal was long gone and actually imagined he'd do better if the poll had been held five years ago.

Victory, were you around when we had the big Andre debate on the board?

Not sure. I've read snippets here and there of some of you talking him up. Just not my cup of tea I guess. Who knows maybe I can be swayed by the time 2026 comes around .
Just to give you the cliffs:

Some of us felt that the idea that Andre was great in his peak is a little over-stated because almost all his best performances come away from New York. He consistently dogs it at MSG or in Philly. And yet has ****+ matches in Houston and Japan, and sprited performances elsewhere (one in Detroit springs to mind).

I still ranked Andre because he was unique, played his role to perfection, and because when he was on, he was really on, but it's not a ranking that is blind to some of Andre's flaws. I don't believe people who claim to really value consistency -- for example -- should be ranking him.

I can go along with that. He was good in his role and knew his limitations. I just don't see him as a top 100 guy. Too much boring stuff that doesn't override the good stuff he has. My comment of him not even being a top 150 guy is probably harsh. If he would of landed say 130 or so I wouldn't of even made a comment on it.

This is a great post because it is totally accurate.

With these additional non-PWO/anonymous votes I am more convinced Flair is gonna win the whole thing easily.

Me too. And honestly, that's so lame if that's the case (not Flair winning, although it is in a way, but Flair winning because of this).

Just occurred to me that the idea of X amount of anonymous voters helping to see him over the line is quite a fitting tribute to his career.

U7EBLKz.jpg

The exchange itself for anyone interested:

JESUS CHRIST!

Fucking awesome, LOL

I can't wait to blast through 00s Kobashi! Amazing.So fucking stupid, but AMAZING.

Haha cannot wait for you to plow through that.

05 right? was this their exchange in the singles match or their exchange in the tag with Shiozaki and Nakajima?

The exchange itself for anyone interested:

JESUS CHRIST!

Fucking awesome, LOL

I can't wait to blast through 00s Kobashi! Amazing.So fucking stupid, but AMAZING.

I actually really like that match. The spot is kinda dumb, but awesome and hilarious at the same time. It was their "who could take the most chops spot" and it is cool. Doesn't make sense, but oh well.