Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 100-51

Grimmas

Andre will rank higher on this list, but Andre couldn't do shit with Hogan in 1980. Backlund got a GREAT match out of him.

The Shea stadium match is really good. YOU ARE WEIRD, JERRY

The real must see match between Hogan and Andre from that era is 3/21/81 from Philly. All the others are pretty nondescript to me

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre will rank higher on this list, but Andre couldn't do shit with Hogan in 1980. Backlund got a GREAT match out of him.

The Shea stadium match is really good. YOU ARE WEIRD, JERRY

I took a trip back to Titans #16 to see what we said.

"I didn't get the psychology [of Hogan bearhugging Andre], in the first match and I don't get it here either. You're not going to beat Andre with a bear hug" - Pete

"I was really disappointed by this match ... I think they have a good brawl in them, if only Hansen was there they could have tore up the stadium" - Pete

"Of course, if this match had happened in New Japan, Hogan would be doing hurricanranas" - me

"It's disappointing because these guys have good chemistry, and Andre is a great worker, and we've that seen Hogan can get carried by the likes of Bob Backlund. ... I think Andre could have carried his end of a brawl, but it's not what we got" - Pete

*huge digression talking about two guys in the crowd, and the use of the term "Shakespeare" for Baron Scicluna / Jerry Lawler foreign object play.*

"Scicluna, Scicluna, wherefore art thou Sciculuna?" - Johnny

"I think these matches have been fucking awful" - me

"The finish gets called back to in 1988 at the Main Even: continuity!" - Kelly

"There's an even bigger call back during Wrestlemania 3 ... When Hogan slammed Andre. Because he does slam him. 'Andre the Giant: never slammed!' He was slammed by Hogan! In this match!" - me

"I said that in my review were you not listening?" - Pete

"I think my continuity point was the more important moment" - Kelly

"I've been disappointed by Andre too ... I think Pete was right, they should have worked this as a brawl and they just stood around in holds. Really boring holds." - me

"It's because the selling point was 'look at how big these fuckers are ... come see the Giant men'. Really as unexciting as it is, that's what it was about.'" - Johnny

"I think Hogan needed to bump around a bit more. I think Andre can phone in matches and just not care. And, well, here he was phoning it in." - me

"He cared enough to gig himself at the end." - Johnny

"That's true" - me

"And they are trying to build it up as two giants, so maybe Hogan can't really go bumping for Andre." - Pete

"Yeah, I do actually question the wisdom of putting Hogan in this match with Andre as well. They always do that in wrestling: let's put the one man in the world taller than Hogan in the ring with him!" - me

"Like when WCW grabbed Mike Awesome and the first program they put him in is with Kevin Nash." - Johnny

"They always do it. Like I've been seeing in WCW in 91, Sid comes back from injury and who do they put him with? El Gigante! Fucking hell, the one guy in the company don't put Sid with, for numerous reasons, is El Giante!" - me

-----

I'll stop there. Typical train wreck review from Titans there, but you get the gist.

I had Zayn on my ballot, below Hero but just ahead of Low Ki (Ki was 92 and Zayn was 87). I think it's worth noting that Zayn is the only of the Golden Age indie guys to have a pretty robust tag resume as well as a solid singles career. I could see someone considering that in their ranking for Zayn. Of course a lot of his run is on a smaller scale than many other top 100 picks, but not too many people can claim to be Ricky Steamboat and Ricky Morton at various points in their career.

I think Jay Briscoe and Chris Hero could have that same argument.

Yes of course it did, otherwise I would've voted Ultimate Warrior number 1 or something

Yeah kind of a dumb question on my part. So what was the criteria for your ballot?

My criteria was a mix of charisma, memorable matches, ability to get heat, strength of angles, star power, promo skills, historical importance and transcendence...although don't expect much consistency from my rankings, I only put about 4 hours of thought into it, if that

Scorpio feels like he landed in a good spot with a fairly big aberration in a #1 vote without any other top 10 support. I didn't vote for him, but he was a good to really good worker for most of the stuff I have seen of him throughout his career. The disconnect I have for him making my list is the claim that his 1996 as being "best in the world caliber", but that could be an aversion to almost all things ECW. I find it a fairly similar reason to why I didn't include Tajiri as well.

Scorp had a great '08 in general. At the time, I liked his matches with Callihan and Necro more than his Claudio match.

Meanwhile, Generico needs to bite the dust. The idea that he could finish 20-25 spots higher than Ki and Hero irks me.

Yep. I like Zayn & he'd probably make my top 150 but he's not better than Ki or Hero at all.

I think he's second only to Bryan from the 00's indy generation. I had him top 30.

Really haven't seen enough Garvin, although I think the Valentine stuff is just ridiculously overrated (and I'm a Valentine fan), as is the Flair match and the Memphis stuff. So there. So no way he would make my top 100, although I'd need to see more, really.

2 Cold was my #46. One of the best worker in the world when he was in ECW, was totally screwed up by going to WWF and given a ridiculous outfit (although the gimmick would have worked if they had pushed him, it's not like Scorp couldn't cut a promo). One of my biggest regret of that time is him not going back to WCW instead. Scorp vs Benoit, Eddie, Rey, DDP would have put in the picture of the best guys around. Had a super solid career in Japan too in the 00's. Yeah, Scorp is a great wrestler. I'm glad he got in the top 100, I didn't expected it. Wonderful surprise.

Garvin was my 63, and now I want to see how high Valentine gets.

I am curious about this as well. I think maybe the WWE Network might have helped The Hammer, since he appears to have worked hard and brought it pretty much every time he worked and thanks to the network there is a lot of footage with him out there now. His hard work and consistency is one of the reasons I voted for him

I've updated the PWO GWE Matches YouTube video playlist to cover from #100-#90. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoeBY9gVL9d13ytshbXVg_EnCzjHVPUOt

(N.B I am prepared to upload footage that I find from other sources such as DM in to YT, however some footage is very hard to find, or if uploaded will be removed very quickly (NJPW, ROH etc)).

fc5339d.jpg

90. Ron Garvin

I'm a big fan of Garvin and will watch any and all Garvin that gets pimped. I might not like all of it, but I'm a Garvin fan through and through. The Tully TV bout remains one of my favourite matches of all time and I love the Jake Roberts feud and the Flair studio bout. The Flair vs. Garvin feud is overrated in terms of the total package (booking + promos + payoff), but they'll always have that studio bout. I was about to say that his career was hurt a bit by him not continuing through the 90s, but I didn't realise that he made his debut in 1962! I thought he was from the same generation as Steamboat, Flair and Co. Wow, I had no idea he was over 40 during the Flair feud.

The re-appraisal of those matches, which undoubtedly Chad and I have been a part of, was to rescue them from the criticisms of the booking that Scott Keith and others had leant on for years.

The whole point was that we were looking at the matches, not at the booking or the feud or anything else.

It was battling a line that said something like "Ron Garvin, worst world champ ever, therefore he sucks, therefore these matches suck".

I think the two things we pushed hardest on WTBBP over the past four years were changing a mindset that went from penalising booking and backstage stuff to just straight-up analysing matches. The two biggest beneficiaries of this "revisionist" mindset were Lex Luger and Ron Garvin. Others who have been around came to the same conclusions independently, some of them some time ago.

But to say that the Flair vs. Garvin stuff is now "overrated" as a result of that process is pushing it.