TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

What source do people use when looking up matches online?

I'm trying to find a Sting Vs. Wrath match (not sure if it started as a one-on-one match) and Google is failing me. Sting reverses the Meltdown into the Scorpion Death Drop. 

1:46 mark of this video for a clip

I use Cagematch if you mean for results, if you were looking for the actual match - it's the Nov 2000 Nitro Sting/Steiner vs Kronik match

On 1/9/2019 at 7:38 PM, Cornette's racket said:

The royal rumble matches were made into a collection on the network and I decided to rewatch some of the mid nineties ones to see if they hold up any better with hindsight.  The answer is a big no. Although I'd forgotten that dory funk jr was in the 1996 rumble and didn't embarrass himself in any way. 

I want to rewatch 1992, which was my first Rumble and still the best one IMO. I'm just terrified it won't hold up.

I remember '93 being pretty underrated too, with that awesome Backlund iron man performance during the Rumble.

'94 at least had the memorable Bret-Lex finish.

'95 was shortened bullshit with HBK winning in half the time even though he easily had the endurance to go a full hour-plus in a traditional Rumble.

He won again the next year, but I can't remember where he came in or how long that Rumble was. 

92 is still a classic. The commentary adds a great deal obviously & shouldn't be discounted, but it's an alright match overall. Flair's interaction with Piper is still one of my favorite things from any Rumble.

I don't really recall any of the other early Rumbles being distinctly "good" though. Going purely off memory, I'd guess the good Rumbles didn't really become a thing until, what? 2001?

Even then, they haven't exactly had a steady track record.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

Does anyone actually listen to or like these 15 years out of date, post-grunge, nu metal bands that provide the "official songs" for various WWE shows? Will WWE ever abandon this genre like the rest of the world did by 2003? I love NXT, but dear God is the music absolutely horrible on the show, excluding entrance themes of course 

The only time in the past few years I was into the song was the Takeover where they had Code Orange perform. They stood out a lot being a legit hardcore band. 

I should probably check out the Hogan era Rumbles then. I have such a fondness for the big characters and rivalries from that time. They're not likely to disappoint.

What stands out about 93?

And 94 has what? The Diesel stuff is the only thing that springs to mind, although I might be overlooking something obvious. It's been forever since I saw any of these.

93 and 94 are nothing special, but still, they happened during a time when the big shows felt more important because there were only 5 of them (and KOTR was new) and the Rumble gimmick was well protected, so I think they have aged pretty well, as has the era in general. They meddled with the formula in 95 and that Rumble sucked, but by then the WWF had already lost its way and would only get worse. PPV was watered down by having one every month, title changes became more and more frequent, gimmicks were lamer, etc. Then things became dark and violent, and that was fun for a few years, but whatever. Anyway, point is early Rumbles are awesome  

6 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Going purely off memory, I'd guess the good Rumbles didn't really become a thing until, what? 2001?

Not really. Some of the early ones are really good. Some of the 90's are really good. Some of the 00's are simply god-awful. Like everything, overscripted Rumble delivered some good stuff but also a bunch of terrible ones. Two years ago I re-wachted every one of them and wanted to do "analytic" reviews, but I was too lazy. Still, You can see the way the Rumble got totally overscripted at one point. Some year it worked (last year's women's Rumble was the case). Most year it sucked. Lot of the 00's are much more of a black hole than the 90's in term of star power too, which is pretty stricking. At least in the 90's you had the odd participations, like Dory Funk or Carlos Colon showing up for no reasons. Damn, I should have taken some notes two years ago… One thing that became prevalent is that no one knows how to work the ropes, so no one does and people just mostly stand there and do regular spots and kick/punch instead of the tricky rope work guys like Martel, DiBiase, Terry Funk, Hennig, Owen did. The old-school guys knew how to do rope work. By the early 00's, pretty much no one did anymore.

On 1/21/2019 at 3:01 AM, C.S. said:

I want to rewatch 1992, which was my first Rumble and still the best one IMO. I'm just terrified it won't hold up.

I remember '93 being pretty underrated too, with that awesome Backlund iron man performance during the Rumble.

'94 at least had the memorable Bret-Lex finish.

'95 was shortened bullshit with HBK winning in half the time even though he easily had the endurance to go a full hour-plus in a traditional Rumble.

He won again the next year, but I can't remember where he came in or how long that Rumble was. 

1992 absolutely still holds up. Heenan is just gold and him and monsoon just worked so well together.  

7 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Yeah, ‘92 is still awesome.

It is and well done to the commentary team for thinking on their feet and covering for savage seeming to forget where he was and jumped over the top rope. I'm assuming it wasn't part of the plan as there was silence for a few seconds whereas savage going to pin yoko in the 93 rumble was clearly part of the match. Imagine savage vs Bret hart at WM 9 for the title though ? It'd have still been a bad mania but at least we'd have had a great match to end it.

6 hours ago, Cornette's racket said:

It is and well done to the commentary team for thinking on their feet and covering for savage seeming to forget where he was and jumped over the top rope. I'm assuming it wasn't part of the plan as there was silence for a few seconds whereas savage going to pin yoko in the 93 rumble was clearly part of the match. Imagine savage vs Bret hart at WM 9 for the title though ? It'd have still been a bad mania but at least we'd have had a great match to end it.

Though because its Savage, WM9 still totally ends with Hogan coming down for the post-match and winning the title.

9 hours ago, Cornette's racket said:

By far the most frustrating thing was that they rushed into the Duggan program with Yoko on the idea that he'd never been knocked off of his feet, which makes no sense because it's how he eliminated Savage.

The new ownership of NOAH have stated that they will be making a couple of changes to branding such as changing the logo and changing the ring mat so it is no longer green.

They are doing this in order to to break away from the old regime and changing from green as it was Misawa's colour and the hope that they will not be stuck in the past.

The logo personally I don't mind but that green mat is a good bit of branding and sets them apart on a visual level immediately.

On 1/23/2019 at 12:27 AM, NintendoLogic said:

I don't know if you guys noticed, but theditch dot com is no more. It seems that Ditch sold the domain and moved all the NOAH content to theditch dot biz. But hey, it's good to know that he's still alive.

I read the first sentence and had a mini-heart attack. Thank God, he moved it. Yes, I am glad he still hosts. A lot of what I am watching for Greatest Match Ever (http://gweproject.freeforums.net/) I found in a Ditch. ;);) 

12 hours ago, Richeyedwards said:

The new ownership of NOAH have stated that they will be making a couple of changes to branding such as changing the logo and changing the ring mat so it is no longer green.

They are doing this in order to to break away from the old regime and changing from green as it was Misawa's colour and the hope that they will not be stuck in the past.

The logo personally I don't mind but that green mat is a good bit of branding and sets them apart on a visual level immediately.

Does it even really matter what they do at this point? It's essentially a zombie promotion.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:49 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

1990-94 Rumbles are all very rewatchable imo. Some of my favorite stuff WWE has ever done 

1990 is a super underrated gem. The Hogan/Warrior show down is epic, the way they eliminated Earthquake is really novel and great for the time.

I also like the end to the 1993 Rumble as everyone else fucked up and waited too long to try and gang up on Yokozuna and then you get Savage making a valiant but ultimately futile attempt to try and survive one on one with him.

1993 Rumble is really weird, half great and half dreadfully boring. The best part about it is that is legitimately feels like a love letter to the territories, filled with a bunch of nods to old 80s feuds that didn't happen in WWF, and dream matches that never happened. The match starts with basically a 4 minute Flair/Backlund match (Papa Shango gets dumped quick), and we get a bunch of regional stars like Lawler, Tenryu, Dibiase, Hennig, Carlos Colon (?) so you get a bunch of great match ups from guys who were all big stars at the same time but didn't really cross paths in their prime. Is it the only footage of Backlund/Flair having a match? Or Lawler/Backlund, or Lawler/Tenryu? 

But the pacing is all wack. All the action comes in bunches, and the slow parts take an eternity. We get weird long runs from Damien Demento and Jerry Sags, the standout performances are Virgil and Brian Knobbs, just weird. The highs are really high, but the lows are LOW and they're all over. 

Main event for Baba Memorial show will be:

Kento Miyahara & Daisuke Sekimoto vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yoshitatsu

So glad we are gonna get Kento vs Tana.  So happy Daisuke is getting that kind of spotlight. So funny Yoshi is getting the KENSO role from the first All Together, now matter how shitty your run in WWE is, you still get elevated by it :lol: