Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

This popped up for me on YouTube last night. Watched the first few minutes before I went to sleep. Randy Savage interview with a local station from the ICW days. It was an interesting interview up to that point, they took a call from the audience, then the interviewer started talking about how he thought wrestling was fake. lol Planning on finishing it today. https://youtu.be/8MAJ-m1IgqU

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even Dana White said it was a fact that the buy rate for UFC 203 was higher because of CM Punk. A lot of people bought that PPV specifically to see him, whether it was because they were fans of his or due to a serious case of schadenfreude.

White admitted that is why he gave Punk a second shot. Any other fighter probably would have been banished to the untelevised prelims or released after that first fight. Dana White liked Punk personally (prickly asshole birds of a feather) and he respected his balls…but bottom line is, he knew Punk was getting eyeballs for the UFC.

What would have been ideal is if there had been a season of The Ultimate Fighter happening around that time. White could have had his cake and eaten it, too. Remember what happened when Kimbo Slice was on TUF. Everybody knew that the odds were Slice was not going to make it in the UFC, but with that show they got him on TV for a while and drew ratings, without having him get his ass kicked. Up until his first fight, that is.

Looking through pics, it was bent when Garvin had it, so it had to have happened between Feb  1986 and November 1987. I can't tell if it was bent when Dusty had it. It doesn't look like it was bent at the time Dusty won it, but it does appear to be bent in the promo pics with it. It seems it would have had to have happened in the two weeks Dusty was champ in 1986. 

I wonder what Vince has been up to since he left, you think he watches every week and blows up Hunter's phone asking why he isn't doing more poop humor? Or do you think after spending 40+ years 100% devoted to wrestling he's out in the garden growing vegetables or some shit?

I lasted about ten minutes in front of Tales from the Territories. I'm sure it's cool for Vice and mainstream audience and all, but I've heard the same kinda stories for about twenty years now, and the production I find unbearable with constant camera moves around a bunch of old dudes sitting around a table and non-stop distracting music. After using and abusing every KC shoot interviews, years of Cornette podcasts and such, there's no added value to me there. Not to mention Jerry Lawler looks like an IRL cursed deviantArt moving pic, and I have no desire to hear this guy talk about anything.

EDIT : gave it another shot. Dutch tells a few good stories (shocking, I know). I would rather listen to extracts from his podcast on Youtube though. Some stories were downright lame (tiger balm rib, really ?). I understand it's a Vice show and not for hardcores, but even then, I don't see how it tells anything that interesting about the Memphis territory (Meltz actually had the most interesting point last week in that basically of all the territories, Memphis really is the one who predates what modern pro-wrestling is, more than any other). Maybe the Kaufman episode will be better with the focus on one topic.

Bummed that podcasts sorta supplanted the shoot interview format, especially the Kayfabe Commentaries crew. You can cast a wider net with podcasts of course, with more voices in the mix and stories you might not get with a two hour video, but with rare exception I find them far less informative and far less charming than a good sit-down with Sean Oliver. In particular I feel that podcast hosts are far less likely to push back against a bit of bullshit or hearsay, which Sean's great at.

On a different note, also bummed that recent-ish events have soured Sammy Guevara in practically everyone's eyes. Ever since I first saw him I thought the guy was a great midcard shithead heel and I thought he really proved his worth by being quietly one of AEW's most reliable performers in 2020 between the big Darby match, Stadium Stampede, and the extended Matt Hardy feud. Hate that a disastrous, ill-conceived babyface run last year and all the drama since then has made people overlook that. No idea where he goes from here, whether in AEW or otherwise, and that's a shame because wrestling needs people who you want to punch in the mouth.