TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh ... gotcha.

I am 99.999% sure he is just trying to say "urban legend" but for whatever reason he uses his own terminology, though I can see your point. 

Side note, this led me to look up where the term "urban legend" came from and it is sort of interesting. It has been around since the 1960s, but was popularized by a University of Utah (where I spent 5 years of my life) professor as a way of demonstrating that folklore and legend is not the exclusive domain of "primitive" or "rural" cultures and that we can learn a great deal about the modern world from such stories. 

Which is why "urban narrative" doesn't make any sense!

I don't know why it bugs me, but it definitely does.

Hideo Itami will be returning to NOAH for Marufuji's 20th anniversary show in sumo hall on 01/09

1. Mohammad Yone & Junta Miyawaki vs. Mitsuo Momota & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi [FREE]

2. Akitoshi Saito, Masao Inoue [FREE], & Hikaru Kawabata [FREE] vs. Takuma Sano, Tamon Honda, & Shiro Koshinaka [All FREE]

3. Quiet Storm & Tadasuke vs. Takao Omori [AJPW] & Cody Hall

4. HAYATA & YO-HEY vs. Team 246 (Shuji Kondo & Kaz Hayashi) [Both W1]

5. Minoru Tanaka, Hi69, & Kotaro Suzuki [FREE] vs. Hajime Ohara, Hitoshi Kumano, & Seiya Morohashi

6. Katsuhiko Nakajima, Masa Kitamiya, & Taiyo Kea [FREE] vs. Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomiya, & Yoshinari Ogawa

7. Kenoh, Atsushi Kotoge, & Maybach Taniguchi vs. HARASHIMA, Sanshiro Takagi, & Danshoku Dino [All DDT]

8. Takashi Sugiura & Daisuke Harada vs. Jun Akiyama & Atsushi Aoki [Both AJPW]

9. Naomichi Marufuji vs. Hideo Itami [WWE]

Differ would be difficult because it had its last show a month ago and is now closed.

I in no way expect them to fill it, njpw only do that 3 times a year but I think a number not to far from what DDT and BJW have done is not out of the question, 4000-5000. But i dont think they will reach the 6500 of AJPW's most recent shows or the 7500 of NJPW on the G1 block finals or the nearly 10000 of sakura genesis, KOPW and g1 finals day.

Was watching some WCW 2000 as part of my review blog (Kwang The Blog) and I've noticed that Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli, considering his experience level, is not actually that terrible. 

I was curious about what people thought of his WWE run (01'-04') and saw some mentioning of him as a guy that was somewhat underrated as he had, synthetically or not, an impressive physique and at one point was even able to press slam Rikishi? On his wiki page, there's even mention that towards the end of his run when he was a Heat regular, he was turned face because the crowds were getting behind him. 

So, what's the deal with this cat? What's the general consensus on his Rellik stuff? Is this a guy who could've been a bigger star in the WWE? 

Wow differ closed. Where did NOAH move its offices to? Also has NOAH drawn over 2,000  paid at all in the past 3 years? There's really no way they come close to DDT's recent numbers in the 5,000- 6,000 range. I would expect it to be around BJW's big show last year that drew about 3,000. Its just the NOAH brand is doesn't have a following and neither KENTA nor Marufuji were ever draws. 

14 hours ago, DMJ said:

Was watching some WCW 2000 as part of my review blog (Kwang The Blog) and I've noticed that Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli, considering his experience level, is not actually that terrible. 

I was curious about what people thought of his WWE run (01'-04') and saw some mentioning of him as a guy that was somewhat underrated as he had, synthetically or not, an impressive physique and at one point was even able to press slam Rikishi? On his wiki page, there's even mention that towards the end of his run when he was a Heat regular, he was turned face because the crowds were getting behind him. 

So, what's the deal with this cat? What's the general consensus on his Rellik stuff? Is this a guy who could've been a bigger star in the WWE? 

His run as Rellik (which is "killer" spelled backwards) would've been better if Russo didn't surround it with other "SUPER MONSTER DEMON HEEL" gimmicks and if they didn't push Tenay and West to remind us that his name was "killer" spelled backwards all the time. Killer look, could hold his own in the ring for what he was supposed to do, and did I mention killer look?

I recently watched a two disc set labelled wcw title tourney 2000. 

If there was ever an example of how convoluted wcw was at that time those two discs are it. No wonder I remember losing interest...I couldn't keep up with how things changed week to week. Just nuts.

gimmicks like rellik getting "killed" are no surprise in the context of that time frame and a fair bit before it too.

8 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

I really want to get this out of my chest but Germany losing today would be like someone booking Brock Lesnar to take the fall to Cheesburger in dominant fashion.

Who are you to doubt Cheeseburger? He's a great technician in the ring, and he's a jam-up guy. 

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Is there any story behind the random Vader vs. Ken Shamrock match in FMW in 97? 

I watched this last night and had the same question. I vaguely remember Shawn Michaels getting the one-off guest referee spot due to FMW giving some of his trainees (Daniel Bryan among them) a couple of matches, but that was about two years after Vader/Shamrock. Looking at Cagematch, Vader worked that match and an AJPW tag (and the Inoki retirement match the same month as his WWF debut) while under WWF contract. For as bad as WWF treated Vader, it's kind of weird that they allowed him two matches for other promotions while he was working for them. I'm sure he didn't have much backstage pull, so it does come off as kind of weird.

37 minutes ago, gordi said:

Who are you to doubt Cheeseburger? He's a great technician in the ring, and he's a jam-up guy. 

As an ardent Mexico supporter, I can say that Cheeseburger is now my favorite wrestler ever.

4 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Is there any story behind the random Vader vs. Ken Shamrock match in FMW in 97? 

Here BAHU explains it in his History of FMW podcast,

Skip to 16:36

Basically WWF was willing to let WWF stars go work for Japan simply for the booking fee they'd get which was a lot of money. Undertaker worked Michinoku Pro the same year and it cost them like $25,000 to book Undertaker. The rumored cost for FMW as BAHU states in the video was $100,000 which is a bit high but I'd believe it probably cost them around $20-25,000 each for Vader and Shamrock and WWf probably got at least $10-15,000 for their booking fee.

I'm trying my damnedest to avoid spoilers for the WWE UK Tournament but I can't find the first freakin' round on the network. I can only find where there's eight people left. Which is annoying as the match I was most interested in from the brackets was the first round Drew Gulak Vs. Jack Gallagher match. 

What am I missing here? Was the first round not shown, or is it not on the Network?

14 hours ago, SPS said:

Here BAHU explains it in his History of FMW podcast,

Skip to 16:36

Basically WWF was willing to let WWF stars go work for Japan simply for the booking fee they'd get which was a lot of money. Undertaker worked Michinoku Pro the same year and it cost them like $25,000 to book Undertaker. The rumored cost for FMW as BAHU states in the video was $100,000 which is a bit high but I'd believe it probably cost them around $20-25,000 each for Vader and Shamrock and WWf probably got at least $10-15,000 for their booking fee.

Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I'm trying my damnedest to avoid spoilers for the WWE UK Tournament but I can't find the first freakin' round on the network. I can only find where there's eight people left. Which is annoying as the match I was most interested in from the brackets was the first round Drew Gulak Vs. Jack Gallagher match. 

What am I missing here? Was the first round not shown, or is it not on the Network?

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, AstroBoy said:

I am really tired of all spots that involve someone on the ring apron jumping to avoid a hand sweep of the leg, then turning to hit a superkick instead. 

+1

Gargano and Ciampa used it within the first minute or two of their Chicago street fight, and it looked liked the silliest, most out of place spot in that situation.

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

My interest in pro-wres. has once again dropped. I guess the World Cup being as amazing as it's been and having gone on vacation out of the country and thus having less time to actually watch anything has been a part of my lack of recent interest.

I ordered EVOLVE 104 and EVOLVE 105 on FITE TV about a month ago and still haven't watched it. I just ordered EVOLVE 106 and EVOLVE 107, so hopefully catching up with those events -- if I have the time over the weekend will revive my interest.

I can't be the only who loses interest in wrestling for certain time periods, right? Also, how do you usually get your interest back?

I go through these patters every so often and just randomly pull up some YouTube shoot interviews and that sorta gets my interest going again.

I was in that funk for a while, and what did the trick for me was finding something different like MLW along with the WWE Network doing the Mid South dump they did. 

I go through periods where I don't watch a single match for months. Then there's other periods where I'm spending almost all my free time watching/reading/writing about wrestling. Just seems natural to me to cycle through your hobbies to keep things fresh so you don't get tired of them.