Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2017

Ricky Jackson

Anyone complaining about Samoa Joe/Nakamura not debuting the Rumble would have also complained about them getting eliminated by Braun/Goldberg/Taker/Lesnar/whoever so not like there would have been some big outpouring of positivity if they WOULD have debuted.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meltz said on WOR that the plan is to turn Sasha heel in the near future. With Emmalina debuting the Raw women's division is def. heel heavy. I realy hope they don't turn Charlotte face as a result

He and Bryan also said that we would all LOVE what the Royal Rumble would set up for Wrestlemania.

(I know it doesn't transfer in text, but I promise I'm just having fun with that. Maybe that and ****** are the two things so far this year that will follow him everywhere.)

If last night was day one of a Reigns heel turn, then the WOR talk of "exciting stuff that people are gonna like" isn't totally off, even if it got many fruitlessly daydreaming of a big match for Joe or Nakamura or a wild game-changing angle.

I do think Mania is lacking a big storyline in terms of a developing story for week-over-week TV. Brock-Goldberg has its appeal, but the build is two guys sporadically growling. HHH-Rollins will get way too much focus for a feud that's likely to suck. Cena seems adrift despite winning the title. What will people remember about this year's Mania five or ten or twenty years from now? Probably a Reigns turn, if anything.

Reading some posts in Wreddit, people seem to be MISERABLE with this Rumble.

The fact that Roman got the #30 entry is being met with such ridiculous hate that I wonder if people watch WWE only to complain.

Reigns being #30 is kind of like asking your parents for an NES for Christmas and getting a Sega Master System or Atari 7800 instead.

The fact that Roman got the #30 entry is being met with such ridiculous hate that I wonder if people watch WWE only to complain.

The stupidest people on the wrestling internet aren't happy. What's new lol?

It's funny how they all get so uproariously angry with the company and the booking when that's providing the exact reaction that the booking intended. So it's therefore good booking. That segment of the audience is even easier to work than the young kids at this point.

Reigns being #30 is kind of like asking your parents for an NES for Christmas and getting a Sega Master System or Atari 7800 instead.

he lost though! I know Wreddit/et al hate Roman but the idea of hating him so much that him losing a match ruins a show for you is just incredible.

I loved the booking of the Rumble personally. I'd say, as for the Rumble itself, it'd be in the top 10 for me. There are some in the early 2000's I haven't watched in a while. I know I'd have 90, 91, 92, 2007, 2008, and 2010 (off the top of my head) over this, but I do think this would make the top 10. I had no issues with Orton winning. If he's going to be in one of the main events, he definitely needed the W over someone like Taker, Goldberg, or Lesnar. He has a lot of years left in the tank too (unlike those others). Plus, he is full-time. No need to have Joe or Balor as a surprise if they aren't going to win. Mark Henry was a nice surprise. I thought the spear into the RKO was remarkably timed. The card itself was one of the better all around Rumbles. AJ/Cena was great and everything else was at least good. I loved Cena's lariats. Overall, 2007 is better, but this has to be on the higher end of top to bottom Rumble cards. This was a fun weekend of wrestling.

he lost though! I know Wreddit/et al hate Roman but the idea of hating him so much that him losing a match ruins a show for you is just incredible.

I didn't really give a shit other than he's a bore and I don't care about anything he does. I'm just describing the fact that people were disappointed in it.

I think the Rumble match is probably in top 5 for me. I watched it this morning before I saw any reaction to it online and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the way they booked Braun in it was PERFECT he looked like the biggest beast in WWE & I liked Corbin eliminating him because it means Braun can feud with Roman & not get forced into a feud with the guy who eliminated him. Plus it gave Corbin a big moment that he was undoubtedly talk about in his upcoming promos. The second half of the Rumble fell into the new pattern they have of "fresh guy comes in while everyone in the ring sells like they're dying so he can just come in & hit big moves on 3-4 guys with no trouble" but then they got into the big boys coming out and I got hype for the Lesnar/Goldberg/Undertaker/Reigns stuff at the end. I actually thought since Owens retained they were going to have Jericho win so I was VERY happy when Reigns eliminated Jericho, was one of my favorite moments of the Rumble.

As far as Orton winning, I have no idea what they are going to do with it. I know the rumor is Bray winning the title at the Chamber and then Orton/Bray at Mania but that just seems like a lot of hot shotting I'm not sold that's really the plan. I'd actually much rather see Cena/Orton. Yes I want to see that match, they have not wrestled each other in a long time & I'd like to see them go back to it one last time before both of them are gone. I'd have Orton win the title against Cena leading to Bray getting jealous about Orton out shining him. It feels like they'd just have to rush too much to set up an Orton/Bray title match at Mania when that would be much better as a post-Mania feud. People saying "no one cares about Orton" just aren't paying attention though because Orton is as over as he's been in YEARS. Go back and watch the American Alpha title switch, people were chanting for him all match and sitting on their hands for AA. The Wyatt Family stuff has done wonders for him.

I think my favorite Rumbles are probably 1992 (which is honestly more for Heenan on commentary than anything), 2001, 2002 (the one where Maven got brtually murdered, and Mr. Perfect was in at the end) and 2008. This wasn't quite top 5 for me but I was entertained throughout most of the match, and they did a good job setting up multiple matches at Wrestlemania.

And they clearly got the exact reaction they wanted at the end, which is why the whole "Roman Reigns ruined the match!" shit is confusing. Everyone cheered Randy like the biggest babyface ever.

I watched 2002 yesterday. I absolutely LOVE the Mr. Perfect stuff. It's always been one of my favorite Rumble moments, but overall, I think this years was a better Rumble match from beginning to end. I remember liking 2001 a lot back in the day. I would need to revisit that one. Exactly - to your points on Roman.

I watched 2002 yesterday. I absolutely LOVE the Mr. Perfect stuff. It's always been one of my favorite Rumble moments, but overall, I think this years was a better Rumble match from beginning to end. I remember liking 2001 a lot back in the day. I would need to revisit that one. Exactly - to your points on Roman.

Those 2001-2003 Rumbles are impressive just for the sheer star power they have in them. They might be the most stacked rosters ever, though some of the early 90s ones with Hulk/Macho/Flair in them come close.

e) also, this match was flawed in a similar way to the 2002 Rumble where the draw order was just way too contrived, with almost all the stars getting the late numbers. Though nothing here was as laughable as Undertaker coming out and immediately having to face Matt and Jeff Hardy.

I thought it was a good idea to have Reigns come in at 30. It helped get Orton's win over.

I agree with that. The crowd would have shit all over Orton winning otherwise I think.

I agree, although it's interesting that they were booking for Orton to get a pop when he's nominally a heel. Perhaps an indication that they're moving toward him v. Bray quickly.

Anyone think there's a chance we'll see Styles/Cena/Orton at Mania in a 3-way and that this is "the idea that the IWC is gonna love"?

At EC, due to some sort of Wyatt Family shenanigans involving Orton (and maybe Harper involved too), Cena gets screwed out of the title when Randy tries to help Bray - but the plan gets fudged up somehow and its AJ Styles who walks out as champ.

AJ vs. Orton is set, but Cena, having been screwed, gets his rematch clause and inserts himself into the match. Bray Wyatt gets the "rub" by being Orton's cornerman and Styles continues to be elevated by being spotlighted in a match with the two biggest full time guys of the past decade.

I think my favorite Rumbles are probably 1992 (which is honestly more for Heenan on commentary than anything), 2001, 2002 (the one where Maven got brtually murdered, and Mr. Perfect was in at the end) and 2008. This wasn't quite top 5 for me but I was entertained throughout most of the match, and they did a good job setting up multiple matches at Wrestlemania.

And they clearly got the exact reaction they wanted at the end, which is why the whole "Roman Reigns ruined the match!" shit is confusing. Everyone cheered Randy like the biggest babyface ever.

It was more of an "Anyone But You" pop though.

Speaking of which, they called back to Woods being spooked by Bray, but NOT that line from the Bray-Reigns feud?

Wasn't necessary, but would have been a good call back at the end.

I can't remember the last time I laughed as much during a WWE show. Some was intentional:

- Jack Galagher's umbrella stick

- Graves exploding with joy once Enzo's music hit

- "It's 8. No, wait, I held the paper the wrong way around... it's 8."

other stuff was not:

- Cena's HGH-ad look (I legitimately spent the first ten minutes of the match laughing)

- realizing how horrible the Rumble will end after Taker was eliminated

- Orton winning the Rumble in 20 f'n 17

Meltz said on WOR that the plan is to turn Sasha heel in the near future. With Emmalina debuting the Raw women's division is def. heel heavy. I realy hope they don't turn Charlotte face as a result

He and Bryan also said that we would all LOVE what the Royal Rumble would set up for Wrestlemania.

(I know it doesn't transfer in text, but I promise I'm just having fun with that. Maybe that and ****** are the two things so far this year that will follow him everywhere.)

Tried asking him about this on twitter and he got pedantic and said he never used those exact words....

Dave....

I generally enjoyed the show and thought the Rumble was great. I can't think of any recent Rumbles I'd prefer. And I won't be too much of a wet blanket on Cena/Styles but I've just accepted that 2014-Current Cena's big match formula just isn't going to do it for me, although I thought it was better than the Summerslam match on rewatch.

I need to get back to posting more regularly on here because my sanity has been absolutely thrown asunder lately. So here are my Rumble thoughts:

-Opener was fine. A bit surprised that they had the finish like that but it was at least unique, and Charlotte being pushed as a heel to the extent she is makes me think the only person left to take her down would be Asuka, which, if you asked me a year ago was the plan, I would have laughed in your face. Also, Brandon Howard saw that Sasha was the #2 female search for merch on WWE.com behind the Bellas, which makes me think if they think she can turn heel, a Reigns turn could also be in the cards. Plus, turning Sasha now would just be weird.

-REALLY liked the Universal title match, especially with Owens going all out to bump like a crazy person (he did it in the Ambrose match last year too) and him really selling the Reigns comebacks well. Liked the finish because Braun rules and it also gives way to the idea that Braun could have an easier time with Owens than Reigns, which might be what his idea is here. Open-ended booking again.

-Cruiserweight title match had issues getting sustained heat but the big moments were really good, and giving Neville the belt for a while so they can build someone else up to his level is smart. I could see it being Bate or even Dunne if they want once they run the UK gamut, but I think it'll be someone more along the lines of Cedrick (if they ever get around to pushing him) or Gallagher.

-Cena/Styles was terrific, as they decided to just go for broke basically from the start and ran the Omega/Okada match extended stretch run instead of putting a bunch of perfunctory stuff up front. The Super AA kickout popped the hell out of me, and the finality of the finish was great. I would have loved to see the Figure Four finish even if it was a bit too much on the nose.

-Great Rumble, which gave people what they wanted in some ways and with the Orton win, more open-ended booking. I can't see them doing Orton/Cena, but I could see something like Bray winning the Elimination Chamber with Orton's "help" to set that up and finish that up. Really backloaded Rumble, which meant early on until Braun showed up it was a bit slow, and the middle part was a lot of riff-raff, too. But the last part was really well done, and Brock doing good business again for Goldberg is seriously incredible to see. Corbin eliminating Braun is also sneaky good booking, too.

Another one of those shows that WWE (Mostly SD Live) has basically perfected over the last year, with good balance in the booking and work while really understanding what it takes to build convincing stories AND keep a mystery going. Enjoyed this immensely.

On the Roman and dumb marks thing...I mean, I at least like to think I'm not too much of an hysterical Wreddit commenter type fan. I am absolutely not a WWE hater on principle. And I honest to God have nothing against Roman Reigns per se.

But when he came out at #30 it completely killed the match for me.

My actual reaction was the same as I posted it live: I laughed hysterically for a second and then said "get fucked". Then I left the room to go get snacks or whatever. I had been glued to my seat for a good while because I was so into the match, everything was going great, and then Roman comes out in the end again and it's like "Oh right, this is modern WWE. Back to Roman." He is just so played out, and every subsequent push they give him is more and more groan inducing. Not even in a fun troll way. It just makes me leave the room, check out of the match and reinforces my decision to stop watching Raw.

It wasn't just Roman though, by the time they got to the final four I thought "I don't give a shit about any of these guys" and the whole finish was such a letdown after such a generally good Rumble. None of those guys felt like they should be winning it. So it felt pretty flat.

And the shame of it is that I did really enjoy the Rumble until then. I thought they kept it really interesting the whole way through, Braun looked outstanding, the little cameos we got were fun (Gallagher, Tye, Enzo), the Brock/Goldberg bit was awesome, and they managed to do big eliminations in a way that surprised me without making me think "that was a stupid swerve". It was probably the best Rumble with the least amount of nearfalls, if that makes sense. There was a dearth of "Woah hey he almost got eliminated but he saved himself!" spots, it was mostly just battle royal hugging in the background of whatever was going on in the middle of the ring, not a lot of tossing and hanging and saving. But that meant that the times they DID go there, they had weight - especially when hosses like Henry or I think Braun had big feet dangling moments, they both made me jump out of my seat.

It was a good match, easily the best Rumble since at least 2013. But the finish let it down and totally sucked all my interest out. I don't even hate Roman, he was just a really shitty #30.