Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 09/03 - 09/09 RIP Brazil's National Museum

KawadaSmile

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Triple H got hurt and came back to all those U2 hype videos and won the Rumble?  And he was a heel when he got injured!  WWE had a perfect story fall into their laps and within weeks Bryan was jobbing on TV to Rusev, who couldn't even make SummerSlam the following month.  Of course Bryan is gonna stay over but really they are so stubborn and stuck in their ways and have no fucking clue how to present a strong babyface.  

1 hour ago, AstroBoy said:

Remember when Triple H got hurt and came back to all those U2 hype videos and won the Rumble?  And he was a heel when he got injured!  WWE had a perfect story fall into their laps and within weeks Bryan was jobbing on TV to Rusev, who couldn't even make SummerSlam the following month.  Of course Bryan is gonna stay over but really they are so stubborn and stuck in their ways and have no fucking clue how to present a strong babyface.  

Pretty much. Braun was probably the strongest babyface in forever and he still looked like a chump against Lesnar last year and he eventually turned heel again :lol:

4 hours ago, El-P said:

They just have no idea how to do anything worthwhile anymore.

This really seems to be the perfect description of the company these days. They've made all of the titles meaningless, they run the same shit over and over again and build to nothing, and when something does manage to catch fire, they either immediately squash it because it wasn't what they wanted to get over, they mismanage it so badly that no one cares anymore, or they repeat it so fast and so often that no one ever wants to see it again.

It really does feel like they've abandoned all their traditional values. They commit nothing to canon, adhere to no sense of continuity, develop zero characters, and never let anticipation build. These are the things that make pro wrestling so great and worth watching.

All these complaints are pretty much why I stopped following WWE in 2014 (aside from those few months of SD post 2016 brand extension). I can't even comprehend why some of you care to keep on keeping on with this company. I mean, yeah. I can check out a couple of matches per month from their big shows, but that's my limit.

Tuning into their television on a weekly basis though? Thanks, but no thanks. My free time's too valuable to spend it watching a program that basically celebrates being pointless & without purpose. No stakes. No ramifications. No direction. No forward momentum. No thanks. The fear of missing out is not enough to keep me dialed in to something so... Uninspired and pointless.

Ronda. Bryan. AJ. Joe. I can check in once a month to see what they're up to, and that's more than enough.

This talk of Braun being a babyface always confuses me. Even when he killed the entire tag team division, or during the build to his triple threat match against Kane and Lesnar, and even against Balor at point, he always came across as a massive asshole, even when doing shit like being in disguise. That's not mentioning him bullying KO into "quitting". 

Don't get me wrong, he's still one of the strongest booked guys in forever and his powerslam is one of the most protected moves around, but turning him as a definitive heel is far, far from a bad decision. And besides, he is a good heel. For once I feel like they have a clear direction, instead of running in circles due to Brock's reign of terror.

Also at the "strong babyface" talking point: although I joke about AJ being an idiot in his feuds, you cannot say he is not booked strong. Dude prevailed over everything and everyone they threw at him and went toe to toe against Lesnar - in fact I would say he looked stronger against the Beast than basically everyone not named John Cena or Goldberg. We just saw last night, while Joe got the upper hand in sneak attacks, AJ faced him head-on and got the upper hand. 

Can the Bryan push talk be shuffled along into another thread please? Sorry, Its so tedious at this point.

The Flair/Lynch interview was quality. Lynch in particular is PHENOMENAL. Her and Ronda are the shining lights in the women's division, which seems to have regressed significantly since the first half of the year. It'll be interesting to see what will happen following the Mae Young classic this year.

The Miz is fucking kingly right now. Incredible to remember how much hate he used to get.

Just now, Badlittlekitten said:

The Flair/Lynch interview was quality. Lynch in particular is PHENOMENAL. Her and Ronda are the shining lights in the women's division, which seems to have regressed significantly since the first half of the year. It'll be interesting to see what will happen following the Mae Young classic this year.

The Miz is fucking kingly right now. Incredible to remember how much hate he used to get.

I got to second both of those points. Loss made the Lynch/Austin comparison on Twitter IIRC, and after this interview, it couldn't be more appropriate. She is just so good and has this immense cool, badass aura which not many can convey. Great, great stuff - and with the content of Charlotte's promo, there might be a double turn coming soon, but the characters staying the same.

Miz has been great for like, 8 years already? It's crazy to me how much shit he got up until recently. I can recall people on wreddit (yeah, I know) saying that Ziggler was carrying the feud, and some people close to me still say he's not that great. Those same people would rank TWGTT over the Usos so it doesn't phase me. There are very few segments he's in that aren't worth watching, because he is just so entertaining.

As much as we'd all like it to be otherwise, there's nothing to indicate the fans getting behind Becky post heel turn won't be yet another thing that gets squashed because The Wrong Thing Got Over. Considering Road Dogg on Twitter calling everyone dummies for not going along with what the company wanted, I'm sure they will just book Becky to lose until people stop seeing anything special about her anymore. 

5 minutes ago, El-P said:

Funny how he's become just another corporate drone. Those people are just sad.

I get it, dude's gotta eat and it would be stupid of him to mess up what's the only thing the business has that's equivalent to a retirement plan. Still, it's funny that the DX of 1997-1999 are now the Stooges in 2018.

Of course, understood. But still, whining about your own audience on Twitter is lame as fuck.

13 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Still, it's funny that the DX of 1997-1999 are now the Stooges in 2018.

Yep. Except the Stooges were actually funny on-screen characters (and at least one of the greatest mind in pro-wrestling history) . They are more like Chief Jay & Blackjack Lanza, you know, actual stooges, only on Social Media level.

Miz has been great for 8 years? Was anyone a big fan of that awful, dreadful baby face run he had?

I mean, I get it. Miz has been fucking aces for the last few years. But people pretending like they "got it" way before anyone else is some silly hipster level shit. You don't have to be the first on the scene to discover something to enjoy it for what it actually is.

Miz has been phenomenal since the Mizdow stuff ended. And his buildup to getting the belt in 2010 (mainly the program with Bryan during that time) was tremendous. But basically everything between the Alex Riley split and Mizdow was mostly trash. Pretending it was good doesn't *actually* make it so.

Truth be told, the turnaround coincided with Maryse's return. But I'll be generous enough to the Mizdow run, which was decent fun - despite the fact that Miz nearly killed the Usos on live television on a regular, routine basis.

5 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Miz has been great for 8 years? Was anyone a big fan of that awful, dreadful baby face run he had?

Total pendulum effect. Miz has overachieved in the last year and a half, maybe two years, so now he's like this great worker that was always great or something.

7 minutes ago, SomethingSavage said:

Truth be told, the turnaround coincided with Maryse's return.

Yep. Before that, the Miz had been a black hole of suck for a long, long time.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

This talk of Braun being a babyface always confuses me. Even when he killed the entire tag team division, or during the build to his triple threat match against Kane and Lesnar, and even against Balor at point, he always came across as a massive asshole, even when doing shit like being in disguise. That's not mentioning him bullying KO into "quitting". 

Don't get me wrong, he's still one of the strongest booked guys in forever and his powerslam is one of the most protected moves around, but turning him as a definitive heel is far, far from a bad decision. And besides, he is a good heel. For once I feel like they have a clear direction, instead of running in circles due to Brock's reign of terror.

It’s not that I think is necessarily a bad decision.  It’s that they just randomly did it on Raw.  I think he was a great choice to turn heel since he was actually over as a babyface, but it needed some more build and time to breathe.

The Miz face turn was the shits, but that's because they did it several years too late and with the worst possible foil in a heatless ADR. I contend that if they had done it right after he lost the World Title, with that smug jock-ass Alex Riley turning on Miz, it would've worked out.

Before you argue that Riley wasn't exactly a ball of fire, well, that's true - but remember, Miz had everyone thinking Damien Sandow was something special, and look how that turned out the minute Sandow went to TNA without any character, personality, or WWE bag o' tricks and was completely exposed as average in every way.

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

he always came across as a massive asshole, even when doing shit like being in disguise. That's not mentioning him bullying KO into "quitting".

Agreed, couldn't stand him then or now.. ruined so much like the tag division and KO's career.

9 minutes ago, C.S. said:

The Miz face turn was the shits, but that's because they did it several years too late and with the worst possible foil in a heatless ADR. I contend that if they had done it right after he lost the World Title, with that smug jock-ass Alex Riley turning on Miz, it would've worked out.

Before you argue that Riley wasn't exactly a ball of fire, well, that's true - but remember, Miz had everyone thinking Damien Sandow was something special, and look how that turned out the minute Sandow went to TNA without any character, personality, or WWE bag o' tricks and was completely exposed as average in every way.

Riley's face turn was so awesome... will forever wish he rose to the top after that.

Always reminding people he main evented Wrestlemania was the best heel mannerism he could have had since 1: It was techincally true, and heels are always best when they are right and 2: It was always great heat since it would irritate everyone who knew he was just a body thrown in the middle of the Cena/Rock build. It kept Miz on everyone's radar even when he didn't have any direction, and being pared up with Maryse just put him over the top. 

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

To be fair, there was the Rhodes Scholars run and MitB win, and subsequent feud with Cody.  

Sandow was a lot like Ziggler in terms of getting positve heat from IWC types who will always gravitate towards those not pushed as hard as they (fans) think they should be.  

Though it appears Ziggler knows that being “Dolph Ziggler” on WWE’s platform is better financially than it would be starting Nick Nesmeth all over again from scratch.  Plus its really only that small segment that think he should be in a better position that upper mid-carder.