Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

20 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Tony discovering in real time why WWE makes their wrestlers work a safer style. 

Considering WWE had one of the highest injury rates of any company in the world at one point, and that's including Japan during the latest 10's peak with the ridiculously hard G1's, that's not a very valid comparison, WWE's "safe style" has never been a real argument (the number of ladder matches earlier this year I believe, or late last year, in a very short while was ridiculous). It's not like WWE guys aren't dropping like flies on a regular basis either.

Are AEW guys killing themselves on weekly basis ? Sure. Are they hurt by the fact they work "cold" because they don't have a more regular schedule ? That's probably a reason too. The Young Bucks and Omega talked about this before, how they hurt more in AEW than when they used to work more time a week because the body actually gets warmer to bumping and getting into a rhythm. House show would help, for many reasons. Not taking completely ridiculous bumps on weekly basis would help too, of course. This is probably a good time to rethink the pacing of the shows and how the booking structures the whole thing, for sure, maybe an opportunity to mix things up a bit and refresh the formula.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Considering WWE had one of the highest injury rates of any company in the world at one point, and that's including Japan during the latest 10's peak with the ridiculously hard G1's, that's not a very valid comparison, WWE's "safe style" has never been a real argument (the number of ladder matches earlier this year I believe, or late last year, in a very short while was ridiculous). It's not like WWE guys aren't dropping like flies on a regular basis either.

Are AEW guys killing themselves on weekly basis ? Sure. Are they hurt by the fact they work "cold" because they don't have a more regular schedule ? That's probably a reason too. The Young Bucks and Omega talked about this before, how they hurt more in AEW than when they used to work more time a week because the body actually gets warmer to bumping and getting into a rhythm. House show would help, for many reasons. Not taking completely ridiculous bumps on weekly basis would help too, of course. This is probably a good time to rethink the pacing of the shows and how the booking structures the whole thing, for sure, maybe an opportunity to mix things up a bit and refresh the formula.

I mean Big E took a belly to belly on the floor from a green wrestler, so certainly WWE is not all it’s cracked up to be on that front.

I would take claims that working several matches a week is better for the body with a grain of salt. It reminds me of how wrestlers in the 90s would say the Japanese schedule was easier on the body even with the harder style because you had several weeks off in between tours to rest up. Well, everyone who worked that schedule for any length of time ended up physically destroyed.

52 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I would take claims that working several matches a week is better for the body with a grain of salt. It reminds me of how wrestlers in the 90s would say the Japanese schedule was easier on the body even with the harder style because you had several weeks off in between tours to rest up. Well, everyone who worked that schedule for any length of time ended up physically destroyed.

Well, working more matches a week probably isn't a bad thing. Getting beat up by Stan Hansen, Kawada & Misawa everyday for two weeks probably wasn't such a great thing.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:04 AM, El-P said:

One thing not many people will want to hear is that really the most compelling long-term booking done in AEW was the Omega/Young Bucks/Hangman "drama", as it had the most depths from years before the company even started, and these guys were used to construct long-term stories based on their real-life relationship. This is why it was so compelling in the long term and probably why after that point, the company looked less focused especially on top. The two big focused angles they ran were CM Punk vs MJF and Wardlow vs MJF, none of which were for the AEW title. All two built around a guy who will or will not leave the company, depending on where the Pillman fetish leads him.

This, 100%. The Elite guys are the best at playing these emotional long-term arcs, and because of NJPW and ROH, they're adroit at doing it alongside the standard week-to-week booking. Now that they've blown that off for now (they presumably want to go back to some of it when Omega returns), there has been a severe lack in AEW stories that pack an emotional punch, even as the show has remained enjoyable on a week to week basis.

19 minutes ago, funkdoc said:

Apparently Cole was confirmed to have his 2nd concussion within a month too, so he should be gone for a while. Might throw a wrench into their All Out plans…

All Out is in September, right? Punk will be back by then, I think. Wouldn't oppose a Punk/FTR vs Omega Bucks, even if you still have the AEW Title match.

14 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

I mean, he was wrestling with one good arm for quite a while. That would probably increase the chances of something happening.

I remember Dave and Bryan talking about how working with small injuries tends to lead to bigger ones, and AEW seems to be living proof of that. 

Kenny being out for basically a year at this point is proof positive. 

This is where I’m really careful about people talking about “depth” and such. A truly good use of depth given the roster they have, they style they work, and the amount of time they have would lead to bigger names working less so that minor injuries don’t compound. They don’t need to go Full Big Dawg, but at the same time, nobody ever thinks about how to keep folks fresh. I understand that if a guy is over you want to keep him on TV as often as you can, but given transparency on folks being hurt being about as prescient as ever, you can absolutely do a different way of working here to avoid issues like this. 

With a roster the size of AEW's, it should be relatively simple to give guys time off every so often to heal nagging injuries, but even now we see if someone's off TV for more than a show or two there's people mad that so and so is being misused or BERRIED. 

I don't think there's real solution in today's climate to the problem of balancing who gets to work (and have the best match possible) and when they get to work. I think the fanbase is way too spoiled nowadays so you either get the injury bug like they have or they get shitted on for rotating talent "too much" and not showcasing *insert your favorite wrestler(s)* enough.

You also have guys like Danielson begging to work more because they feel their bodies get more accustomed to bumps if you are doing it regularly instead of sporadically. And he gets an "undisclosed" injury (concussion?) after taking it easy for 6-8 straight weeks and "finally" going all out on the PPV match.

In other news, Alan Angels has apparently not been re-signed. The guy sure has a little name to himself now, thanks to you know who.

I do find kinda sad what has happened with Dark Order since Hangman won the title, as they slowly faded away in the background into nothingness, and really only John Silver seemed to get any attention after that point. Stu Grayson really was underused considering his insane talent. I'm guessing Colt Cabana is ROH bound. Anna Jay already dressed up like her own self last time she was on TV. What an odd story this gimmick has been, from being clearly the biggest miss of the first months of AEW (including being part of the first infamous terrible angle on TV), to getting over thanks to Brody, including (and maybe most of all) during BTE skits which gave them than comedic edge, leading to guys like John Silver getting a cult following. Then Brody's passing and the unforgettable tribute show, really focusing on the group for obvious reasons. Then the Hangman storyline with them really playing a part in helping giving Hangman another layer. I dunno, it seems, especially considering the quality of workers involved, they could have done much more with the core of the group, especially Uno & Grayson. Hopefully Silver, Uno & Anna don't get completely lost in the current roster (although I don't have much faith for Uno sadly, and the guy is actually really good and unique too).

11 hours ago, strobogo said:

Having had a torn labrum before, I do not believe it would be possible for Adam Cole to be doing anything in a wrestling match. That alleged injury can not be accurate. 

It is honestly true. Hence the below. He wrestled through a labrum tear and a dislocated shoulder in 2015 too.