goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SirEdger said:

Didn't they use Veda Scott as commentator when they did that women's tag team tournament during their first year?

Yes. She did fine too. She absolutely would be a welcome addition.

You know who did mighty fine when they switched guest announcers every week on Dark ? Shawn Spears. 

But AEW doesn't need another goddamn announcer, least of which Mauro. 

Excalibur is vital to the product. He's not only really good (he has his flaws), but he's the one who knows the product inside and out, and has the current pro-wrestling culture to call it the right way. 

Schiavone is the old guy enthousiastic about the current product aka the anti-boomer. And really, he's really good at actually learning about current pro-wrestling (he knows the name of the moves, he knows guys for having worked with them back in MLW), as opposed to JR who's the boomer (sooner) announcer of the bunch, cool as a legend and efficient in spots, but grumpy enough to be like an annoying drunk uncle who doesn't get what the hell TikTok is.

Taz is the best color guy in the biz (he was really good in TNA too although at times he was just brought down by the overall product and atmosphere) and I'm glad he's been used more.

They should really stick to a variation of a three men booth. Jericho has overstayed its welcome on Rampage for a while now. No idea who does the announcing on Dark anymore, but needless to say I still have no idea why the fuck they hired Paul Wight for. Nor Mark Henry.

I can't hear the announcers on AEW. Maybe it's because I don't have the volume up really high because my wife doesn't like wrestling and doesn't want our kid watching it. I found the crowd noise and ring noise is a lot louder on AEW than on WWE. I can hear the WWE announcers just fine, and when I watch old WCW matches I can hear their announcers pretty fine too. I feel like I would have to turn the volume up pretty high to hear what the AEW announcers are saying. I could hear them good when they did those pandemic tapings at QT's gym.

Mark Henry was primarily hired for his recruiting abilities, I think he was the one who got Jade on their radar. He earned his pay for that one alone. 

Taz has been great at commentary since back in his WWE days, he has that Jesse Ventura "ex wrestler who's good at pointing things out from a wrestler point of view while not sucking up to the babyfaces" vibe.

Jade Cargill is still only one yeah and a half into her career. For all the talk about improvement, she is now visibly stagnating because she works a match every other week. They won't be able to work the streak gimmick forever either so as to protect her. And she doesn't need to be protected as much as she needs to *work* and get mileage on her pro-wrestling experience. Watching some Stardom lately did some people no good in my perception of some US women wrestlers. There's a debate about is it good or not to start training super young but you know what, Riho works circles around pretty much every woman in AEW (and knows how to get herself over to boot), and some of those Stardom girls who are like 19 or 21 (AZM, Starlight Kid) and have been working regularly for years are just on another level completely. That's what Jade Cargill, Tay Conti or Anna Jay would need, one year working in Japan, day in, day out. I bet you they would come back much, much better. 

I strongly dislike Excalibur, do not see the appeal at all. He does not sound like a professional broadcaster to my ears, and he doesn’t relay the action in the ring in a manner I find at all compelling. He’s better than Schiavone and JR, the latter of whom openly has contempt for the product he’s calling, but I think they need to redo the booth from the ground up.

Excalibur, Taz & Tony is a damn good announce team. Well, better than almost any wrestling announce team I've heard for a good few years anyway. I don't get the Excalibur hate at all. He's not perfect but he does a difficult job well, is very likeable and sounds like he cares about the product. That's a lot better than most. How can anyone not rate Tony Schiavone!? JR brings it down obviously but even he can be completely hilarious at times. 

So, Greshem has either been actually fired as well as quitting? 
It's starting to come off like Khan's way of handling hard conversations is to ghost people and hope they just get the message. I get it. I always hated having to fire people when I was in that position. Janella, Marko, a couple other folks all have similar stories. But you can't run a business without just having to just fire people because you want to be one of "the boys."

This does make me wonder what the fuck Christopher Daniels is doing. Regardless of how one feels about Janela, Stunt et al, I feel like all of them have talked about lack of communication. TK seems like he has an awful lot on his plate right now, surely the head of talent relations could do something?

The thing is, Tony only fires people for cause. If he simply doesn't have anything for someone, he rides out their contact and doesn't renew them. It would probably behoove him to have someone play bad cop on his behalf as opposed to freezing talent out and hoping they take the hint, but at least they're getting paid. That's what makes the Gresham situation so unusual. He had just signed with the company. And the Observer daily update seems to indicate that the way he did business didn't win him any fans in the locker room.

I don't think Tony gets enough credit for that. The WWE does things like have Allison Danger move her entire family cross country, take her kid out of school, and then just fire her weeks later. If you sign a contract with AEW you are employed for the length of that contract, unless you do something which gets you fired for cause. Janella and Stunt didn't get their contracts renewed, which is something that happens in every business and is way different then waves of arbitrary firings

• 2 weeks later...