All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geeks just helped make Avengers Endgame one of the highest-grossing movies in history, so I'm not sure that's a bad demographic to go after.

And speaking as a geek and wannabe wrestling historian, I couldn't much give a shit how many or how few other people care about this as much as me. I care, which is all that really matters to me.

5 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Geeks just helped make Avengers Endgame one of the highest-grossing movies in history, so I'm not sure that's a bad demographic to go after.

These are not the same geeks. Those are mainstream geeks that are now the focus of the entertainment industry. We are not a blip on the radar. Then again, Avengers are not a blip on my radar, I couldn't mention one name of a character from this shit, while I can assure you Bobby Eaton & Steve Keirn did team some time on WCW B-shows in 94...

Just so we're clear, comic books > wrestling all day every day. Come at me, bro.

While there has historically been a high crossover between the two fandoms, I don't think that really applies to the MCU and its success since 2008. Those movies are so well-crafted and targeted at the mainstream. You're really reaching if you're suggesting that it's only "geeks" going to see those movies.

I work in refineries and the petrochemical industry. Everyone from engineers to construction hands have been talking about Endgame for two months now. You telling me those people are buzzing about the Young Bucks or flipping through comics on their time off? No fucking way. It's not a direct correlation. It's a movie with a lot of steam and popularity behind it. Sometimes that's it. There's no deep-seeded connection in EVERYTHING, as fun as it may be to imply otherwise.

But yeah. I'm stoked for AEW.

I think they should hire some of the production crew from WCW. They were able to make Nitro a legit threat to Raw with it's different, more modern look (as well as the sound, I've noticed that WCW shows from that period always sounded "louder"), and the same needs to be done for AEW, if it just looks like RAW (or worse, Impact) with different wrestlers, it'll just get old after a while.

I know some people like to shit on old man Jericho and his in-ring limitations, but I think having him onboard already is going to provide a boost - perhaps one that isn't really getting as much attention or talk as it should just yet.

No, he's not exactly a household name. But he isn't far off.

He can still go, even if it is under the guise of dog & pony show style booking. Give me another Jericho street fight or Jericho/Omega any day and I'm there.

The guy understands the importance of telling stories. He's on the same wavelength as me and doesn't really buy into the idea that five-star matches make any significant dent in business. Because they don't. It takes characters, stories, and rivalries. Jericho seems to push that idea to the forefront. He fully embraces the concept of building up a match, promoting himself & his opponent, and then capturing that big fight feel.

We talk a lot about what's wrong with WWE television and how nothing matters anymore. Just think back over the last 20 years about the few moments that did "stick" or stand out, and a lot of them tend to involve Jericho. The guy is super creative and has been hands-on with his own angles since the 2008 reinvention.

Not to derail the direction of this thread or anything, but I do think his involvement is just one piece of the puzzle that's going to help them feel different. Cody and the Bucks are similar, too. They're very creative guys, and they all seem to be pushing for the idea of their roster being individuals - with the freedom to catch fire, to break out, or to become bigger stars in their own right.

Lifting that limitation alone is something that could instantly separate AEW from the WWE. Changing the design of the sets and shit is something, sure. But I feel like it's an aesthetic detail that is getting a bit too much attention really.

I fully agree. For as much as Jericho is beat up in the ring, his mind for wrestling is clearly vibrant and creative. He was booking his own WWE feuds from Michaels onward and, while he had a few misses in there, you can't deny that he had the most over angles/programs in the company whenever he put his mind to it. When you plug his mind into Cody's unperturbed vision and Janela's rampant creativity, you're going to end up with something that you're not going to see from WWE. Before this year is out, there's going to be one AEW program that has everyone talking and hyped, you can see it coming a mile away. 

The WWE trolling on the first two minutes of BTE this week is really, really funny. 

Best Friends getting some cool tag team action looks good on paper. A six women joshi match with Aja kong and Emi Sakura (damn, that girl is still around ?), way cool.

Aja had a MOTYC with Hikaru Shida last year, so she can still go, although probably not on a nightly basis. With that said, it's a midcard trios match in front of a foreign audience, so she'll most likely just serve up her greatest hits. Do some crowd brawling, hit an uraken or two, maybe whack some people with her garbage can.

28 minutes ago, El-P said:

AEW Nitro. Soon.

(can't lie, I'm excited as fuck by the idea of finally getting a big time alternative, almost 20 years after the disaster of WCW closing doors)

Same, it's great to have something with serious cash behind it and with a major TV station from the start. 

4 hours ago, El-P said:

AEW Nitro. Soon.

(can't lie, I'm excited as fuck by the idea of finally getting a big time alternative, almost 20 years after the disaster of WCW closing doors)

Yeah, I've gone from being kinda skeptical to just being super excited for something new

• Loss pinned and locked this topic
  • Loss unlocked and unpinned this topic