Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

She's been a terrific performer for close to 15 years, that's the story on her. You want someone who will help in term of character work and details, she's the one. I hope she'll get to do some in-front-of-camera stuff from time to time, because I'll obviously miss watching her on IMPACT, although she already retired once during the pandemic, so it's just bonus at this point. Really cool signee for AEW. She worked at All In too, so in a way she's an AEW "original".

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Read an excerpt from WON that things are actually pretty bad in the locker room. But the one I read focused on Cabana, which made me immediately doubt the veracity of the report, lol. It's one thing for Punk to be mad about Colt still having a job but that trickling down to the whole roster I have a really hard time buying. Were there other things covered in the issue?

Weird that all these stories about the AEW locker room are coming out now, whereas for three years it’s all been sunshine and roses about how great of a boss Tony is and how fun and chill it is there. Was all of that bullshit, did something big happen that turned a lot of people, or have they just been sweeping a lot of issues under the rug and now they’ve piled up to a degree they can’t be ignored?

I hate sources that won’t put a name to anything. Cause what stops from the reporter from just lying and making shit up. Always thought that was weird.

It’s always weird trying to talk about a locker room that none of us including the reporters are in. It happens in sports all the time and people just speculate the whole thing and come up with scenarios and all that.

The way I see it till I see someone leave the company. I don’t believe anything a wrestling journalist has to say. Especially guys like Sapp, Meltzer, and many others. 

3 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

Just means one of Meltzer’s sources has a bone to pick more than likely and is feeding him negativity. 

No doubt, but I'm wondering what other stories are there because that Cabana one really read like "let's throw some bullshit and see if Dave runs with it".

That’s literally been the case since the Page article though, and has been my point with all this; to go with ANY article that has come out since then as gospel, which people are basically jumping to do so they can have first right of saying, “Told ya!” is bullshit high school-level discourse. Gossip mongering at its worst. Why this entire enterprise of reporting has been bullshit. 

What we have going on now kinda throws me back to that one time a reporter (Satin?) said Sasha and Bayley were seen crying on the floor, throwing a tantrum. It obviously caused a ruckus and became a joke due to its absurdity.

I don't think it's impossible for AEW to go through this rough patch in its locker room. The first few years the roster was smaller, there weren't names like Bryan Danielson or CM Punk, who are sacred cows to indie wrestling fans, and as a result the "homegrown" names had more of a spotlight. It felt quaint. 

At the same time, there is a lot of noise going on and it's unclear how much of it is true. How much of the reporting is the equivalent of Sasha and Bayley behaving like children?

Furthermore, how much of this is productive in regards to incorporating possible real life issues into storylines? MJF has been gone for over two months, who knows how many more, and if there is beef between Page and Punk, I cannot believe working a storyline around it would be a bed of roses. It will always risk leading to apathy.

The latest Observer says Punk's promo on Dynamite was a receipt for an interview Hangman gave before DON talking about saving AEW from Punk. If true, that's absolutely diabolical because it put Hangman in a no-win situation. If he stays in the back, he looks like a coward. If he comes out and accepts, it looks like the inmates are running the asylum. Maybe the greatest political hit job since Rock went off-script and called Kevin Nash Big Daddy Bitch.

1 hour ago, Timbo Slice said:

Just means one of Meltzer’s sources has a bone to pick more than likely and is feeding him negativity. 

Maybe, but then you have Dax telling Dave he was full of shit when he stated confidently that the Bucks hadn’t been holding back FTR, the Punk stuff, MJF being upset with his contract, all the people mad at how Tony and Daniels are running talent relations, people openly airing their grievances with Thunder Rosa on Twitter, and a few other stories that have come out in the last few months.

In my head, I’m laughing at the idea that Punk is such a bitter, anhedonic asshole that he ruined the locker room with his bitching, but I’m also wondering if maybe Cody was doing some informal talent relations work, as a lot of this stuff seemed to start burbling around the time that he left. All we heard was that he had a big ego and was kind of insufferable to work with, but he was also the most traditionally “wrestlery” EVP, he may have had some hand in calming locker room unrest and bringing it to Tony’s attention.

23 hours ago, Timbo Slice said:

I am the first to criticise Meltzer's modern reporting and sourcing. 

If anything it is way worse than he reported in the Observer. At least overtly. AEW talents weren't brought to the AEW tapings on Wednesday due to being suspended/separated from each other. Unrelated to Punk/Page thing.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jmare007 said:

Read an excerpt from WON that things are actually pretty bad in the locker room. But the one I read focused on Cabana, which made me immediately doubt the veracity of the report, lol. It's one thing for Punk to be mad about Colt still having a job but that trickling down to the whole roster I have a really hard time buying. Were there other things covered in the issue?

Basically everyone loves Colt since he wrote the script for modern indy wrestlers getting themselves over and helped a lot of them earlier in their career and Punk is Punk. So when Colt was jettisoned to the purgatory that is ROH in 2022 to avoid any confrontations with Punk, it left a bad tasted in people's mouths. 

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

Basically everyone loves Colt since he wrote the script for modern indy wrestlers getting themselves over and helped a lot of them earlier in their career and Punk is Punk. So when Colt was jettisoned to the purgatory that is ROH in 2022 to avoid any confrontations with Punk, it left a bad tasted in people's mouths. 

Yep. And read between the lines and use your own professional life experience. Don't just use the Pro Wrestling lens. 

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/970472/tony-schiavone-explains-why-he-was-given-aew-talent-relations-role/

Schiavone does seem like the perfect guy for that role, but what happened to Chris Daniels being the head of talent relations? All these stories about different guys just getting ghosted, or all these personal conflicts backstage, why hasn't Daniels' name come up in any of them when he's supposed to be the guy taking care of that kind of stuff?

7 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Personally I think that while Daniels probably isn't cut out for the role he was in, it was way too much to ask for one person to wrangle a roster that size. 

In short that's basically it. Daniels is as weird/idiosyncratic as much any star wrestler can be. But I know lots of stories of him pre-AEW being go out of his cool and kind to wrestlers on the come up. I can't imagine him being purposely ignorant to people or anything like that. But he was complained about. 

BUT I am more referring to just the interpersonal issues in the locker room currently and All Out 2022 card/the current set of feuds being a comedy of errors in terms of having people that dislike each other work together and it getting even worse.

You see it all the time in non-worked sports. Just about every team has conflict between teammates and between players and management. As long as the team is winning, they're kept under wraps for fear of rocking the boat. But when the losses start piling up, the knives come out and the recriminations start. It seems highly unlikely that there were never any issues in the AEW locker room considering how ego-driven the business is. But they were easier to paper over when it looked like WWE was a sinking ship and AEW was the company everyone wanted to work for. With AEW in a bit of a slump and WWE gaining momentum, those tensions have come bubbling to the surface.