Pro Wrestling Only

All Elite Wrestling

goodhelmet

I can't even imagine such a non-event would even be talked about in a pre-social media world. There was a miscommunication, Eddie was off TV for two weeks or so, no one even talked about it before it was over anyway. People are really making mountains out of mice nowadays.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Is this a French expression?

Actually, I mixed up "to make a mountain out of a molehill" with "the mountain gave birth to a mouse" (which is a French expression, but not exactly accurate in this case, although it's a matter of disproportion too) :lol:. My brain is so confused sometime.

12 hours ago, El-P said:

I can't even imagine such a non-event would even be talked about in a pre-social media world. There was a miscommunication, Eddie was off TV for two weeks or so, no one even talked about it before it was over anyway. People are really making mountains out of mice nowadays.

A backstage fight that led a wrestler being suspended and the build to a planned PPV match being abruptly aborted would be a topic of interest in any era.

30 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

A backstage fight that led a wrestler being suspended and the build to a planned PPV match being abruptly aborted would be a topic of interest in any era.

A guy trying to awkwardly palm strike another dude while shouting "You can't call me fat !" is hardly a fight. :lol: But then again, most of the pro-wrestling folklore is making mountains out of molehills (there).

The difference with 30 years ago is that stuff only was known in "dirt sheets" way after the fact, and then was part of folklore with various extrapolation/exaggeration on forums (not to mention early shoot interviews) months/years later once the internet was a thing. Now, people are immediately making huge deal out of stuff like this, Fightful is making an article, then another one, then F4 is gonna have a video clip of Alvarez talking about it, then people are gonna retweet it, then react to the reactions (make it about "lulz AED iz ded" or something) and so on, until the next drama occurs. Not to mention idiots taking sides and eventually harassing people on socials (I mean, Thunder Rosa is off, and although like I said her case is a bit vague, more power to her for not giving any second to assholes who will for sure act like trash toward her based on clips on Twitter and hearsays). 

I would hope since the deal is over now, the match is back on the PPV or pre-show, as it probably would have ruled. I have more interest in this one than in Jungle Boy vs Christian tbh.

10 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Control Your Narrative

Eddie has some know mental health issues. From everything I've read, the way other wrestlers speak of him, and the two interactions I've had with him, I think he is about as far from the "Control Your Narrative" douchebags as you can get. Not excusing what he did, just saying I don't think he should be lumped in with those right wing nutjobs for having self esteem and anger issues.

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Yeah, I agree. Half of the so-called locker room “fights” that have been reported over the years involved minimal physical contact, but still ended up becoming folklore. Bret barely got his hands on Michaels after the “Sunny Days” incident. Jericho ended up putting Goldberg in a front facelock and that’s about it. I don’t know if Scott Steiner and DDP ever actually made contact, but that one got around.

Hell, the only actual fights I ever heard about were Dick The Bruiser and Brody, and Dick Slater and Sting. And that last one sounds like it was pretty one sided…Slater just blindsided Sting and beat the hell out of him.

40 minutes ago, Al said:

Butch Reed and John Nord in Mid South

I have not heard about that one! It was a legit back-and-forth flight?

19 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Orndorff kicked Vader's ass

I can’t believe I forgot about that one, considering the massive write up I did on it in my recap thread.

34 minutes ago, MoS said:

It's been a long time since I read it, but I thought the Death of WCW book confirmed that Steiner beat the shit out of DDP? 

I don't care for DDP so that is perfectly fine with me tbh

I think that is one of those fights that the severity of it depends on whose version you get.

Just now, NintendoLogic said:

Booker T and Batista as well

Even that one was basically nothing more than a glorified shoving match, wasn’t it? I guess my point was with my original post, is that 99.9% of all backstage altercations very rarely end up in a full-fledged brawl. From everything I have read and heard, it usually is just guys jawing at each other and shoving with the occasional punch thrown, usually with a bunch of people there to break it up.

Two more I thought of were RVD/Taz and that story about Rick Rude allegedly knocking the Ultimate Warrior loopy with an open-handed slap.

2 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Jericho ended up putting Goldberg in a front facelock and that’s about it.

I always got the impression that was more self defense and Jericho didn't want to get any heat for possibly beating up the top star of the company (I'm sure he learned some shit from Stu). 

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

I have not heard about that one! It was a legit back-and-forth flight?

From what I've gathered Nord busted up Reed decently and Reed ending up threatening Nord with a comically large pipe. Bill Watts' response was they should have round two in the ring where people could pay to see it.

20 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I always got the impression that was more self defense and Jericho didn't want to get any heat for possibly beating up the top star of the company (I'm sure he learned some shit from Stu). 

I always found the funniest part of that story to be Jericho claiming that once he had Goldberg locked up in the facelock, Goldberg was totally helpless and had no idea how to get out of it until Jericho let him go.

I suppose part of that could be Jericho putting himself over, but it’s equally likely that Goldberg was so hapless at basic wrestling moves that he didn’t know how to get out of a basic hold.

Funnily enough, Jericho recently had a Goldberg on his podcast and they apparently talked about their tension over the years. I haven’t checked it out yet but I might at some point.

Goldberg was barely trained as a pro-wrestler. Ask Bret. He was a football player. It's not very hard to imagine a guy like Jericho who did train with the Harts, whatever that meant then (Bruce, I guess) and worked in several places before showing up in WCW, including Japan under Tenryu, knew some tricks about putting a big goof in a front facelock.

Meanwhile :

What did I say about idiots going on socials harassing people ? 

5 minutes ago, strobogo said:

Goldberg had been training BJJ and muay thai for years before WCW. It's absolutely ridiculous to think he'd have no idea how to get out of a fucking headlock.

Getting out of chokes like a front facelock was literally one of the very first things they taught when I took Jiu Jitsu, and I still vividly remember the technique. As strong as Goldberg is, I would have thought it would have been easy for him to get out of it. 

Then again, you could easily dislocate or break somebody’s elbow doing that. It’s equally possible @sek69 is right, Jericho slapped the hold on to avoid the fight getting worse, and Goldberg didn’t want to break his arm getting out of it.

Either way, it’s a funny story and that’s all that matters to me.

Training in MMA doesn't mean you're worth a shit at it though. I always crack up when "experience" is equalled to actually being good at anything. Some people have been shit at their craft for their entire life. But that's beside the point.

Another one was Joey Styles knocking the fuck out of JBL.