• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*yawn*

Apart from the super grim Adams story, and the Sandman episode which probably be a nice little funny one without much to it (unless they dug up some real bad stuff), this is all very safe, not very intriguing topics at all for the series. I guess the Plane Ride From Hell episode scared everyone, and they don't wan't anything like that anymore. 

I'm not sure "Shotgun Dropkicked in the Face By A Kamikaze Paraglider" says much about the seediness of the biz.

Buff Bigelow, Male Gigolo, isn't wrestling-related either.

Interesting that they're doing the living. I wonder if they'll take part? (edit: they probably need the money, so, yes?)

I swear I remember a Mile Awesome episode was supposed to be part of Season 2, I wonder what happened to that?

The Harley Race episode should be entertaining for the stories if nothing else, but it certainly does seem that the plane ride backlash has scared them away from touching anything too controversial.

If controversy is an issue, there are plenty of long-dead wrestlers like Buzz Sawyer and Jerry Graham whose lives and careers are eminently worthy of the Dark Side treatment. I suppose the main issue there is lack of name recognition to modern viewers. Then again, they did do an episode on Bruiser Bedlam.

4 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

'm not sure "Shotgun Dropkicked in the Face By A Kamikaze Paraglider" says much about the seediness of the biz.

No, but the story of him getting fired from his after wrestling job when people found a white powder is certainly part of the legacy of 80s WWF tho.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:31 PM, C.S. said:

Season 5 will include:

• Chris Adams
  • Kurt Angle
  • Buff Bagwell
  • Brutus Beefcake
  • Harley Race
  • The Sandman
  • Black Saturday

Updated list:

• Chris Adams
  • Sensational Sherri
  • Terry Gordy
  • Black Saturday  
  • Chris Colt
  • The Sandman
  • Earthquake
  • Harley Race
  • Buff Bagwell
  • Brutus Beefcake

No Angle after all.

What's Earthquake's dark side? He did die of cancer at a relatively young age, but that's more tragic than seedy. And I suppose there was the incident with Koji Kitao, but I don't see how that reflects poorly on Tenta. Honestly, Kitao would be a much more fitting subject of a Dark Side episode.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JRH said:

Earthquake will be the season premiere. Also, apparently RD Reynolds of Wrestlecrap (and a good friend of Quake) was interviewed for this episode, that should be interesting.

I don’t get what’s dark here. Cancer?

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I don’t get what’s dark here. Cancer?

That and the Kitao match which turned into a shoot. Tenta also suffered racism when he was a sumo wrestler, though without him being alive to talk about it I dont know how they'll discuss that (off-topic, but how many pro wrestlers started out as sumo wrestlers? There must be more than Tenta).

7 minutes ago, JRH said:

That and the Kitao match which turned into a shoot. Tenta also suffered racism when he was a sumo wrestler, though without him being alive to talk about it I dont know how they'll discuss that (off-topic, but how many pro wrestlers started out as sumo wrestlers? There must be more than Tenta).

Tenta is one of the more famous examples because he has that WWF affiliation hanging around him. That and Rikidozan are the most famous examples (alongside Tenryu, Tadao Yasuda, Akebono etc etc)

Sumo generally is one of the more popular professions to have a transition to wrestling given the similarities in training so at least in Japan there's always been a physical link between the two sports

55 minutes ago, JRH said:

Kiyoshi Tamura actually did sumo before he entered the UWF dojo. That's one of those interesting wrestling trivia tidbits.

Both Haku and The Barbarian did sumo too.

As a sumo fan, I always loved workers with a sumo background. This seems to be more a thing of the past though. Not so many, if any at all, are making that transition these days.

And hell, Hakuho, the GOAT, got fucking demoted as a coach because he did not report one of his students (the awful Hokuseiho) abusing young boys with slaps and wooden stick shots. Yeah, sumo is a wonderful tradition too. Oh well, at least I won't be suffering though Hokuseiho's borefest fights anymore since he retired, as they say. How long before this fellow ends up in wrestling ? I mean, he's tall as fuck for a Japanese (like almost seven feet). He could be the next Kitao or something (yeah, that's sarcasm).

Considering all that is happening lately, this season of Dark Side is gonna look extra tame. Still gonna watch it because they mostly do a good job, but, oh well.