Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 5/13 - 5/19: Raw is Megaman

NintendoLogic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaking my head at the mention in the Observer that WWE is just now starting to really think highly of Andrade but Vince is still hesitant to put the rocket on him because he's still learning English.

I mean, I can see why you'd have reservations pushing a guy who was already a top star. Can't have anyone proven to draw money just go out there without being coached to death first.

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Shaking my head at the mention in the Observer that WWE is just now starting to really think highly of Andrade

You think it may be because.... he's dating Charlotte now ? Yeah, that sounds insane, but how these people "think" also is, so, why not.

12 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Shaking my head at the mention in the Observer that WWE is just now starting to really think highly of Andrade but Vince is still hesitant to put the rocket on him because he's still learning English.

I mean, I can see why you'd have reservations pushing a guy who was already a top star. Can't have anyone proven to draw money just go out there without being coached to death first.

They just need to spend another six months jobbing him so they can then blame him for not drawing.

11 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

That was Mike Bennett's WWE character.

Well he was never at the top for anyone to claim he fucked his way there. His character always came off as "guy who outkicked his coverage and is fully aware of it".

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Well he was never at the top for anyone to claim he fucked his way there. His character always came off as "guy who outkicked his coverage and is fully aware of it".

Actually that is kind of his wrestling career if you think about it. Nothing that special but he's a package deal with Maria who companies actually want.

32 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Actually that is kind of his wrestling career if you think about it. Nothing that special but he's a package deal with Maria who companies actually want.

Their whole act was perfect for ROH. They played nicely off Punk's legacy and his past fling with Maria. Plus the years & years of having their talent pool "raided" by the big, bad corporation. Plus the fact that Bennett was tailor made for the WWE house style of the time. It just fit and clicked so well in a very specific context there.

As far as WWE's declining viewership goes, I honestly don't know what it would take for them to come to the realization that it truly is the stars that draw interest and viewers. The brand doesn't sell shit on its own. You need stars. You need attractions. You need competitors with momentum to oppose rival competitors with momentum. This 50/50 nonsense needs to go. This start & stop stuff is garbage. Stop punishing your audience whenever they choose to like something.

The self-contained breathing apparatus that was John Cena is gone now, and it shows. Everything feels like it's on life support.

The big money is there, but the decline in actual quality is drastic & downright astounding. WCW made big money in 1997 and 1998, too. Then '99 dropped 'em in their tracks like a heart attack. Same/same.

The McMahons' bizarre hang-ups and insecurities have caused them to withdraw and retreat away from promoting people like actual stars. But those fortress walls they've built to keep everyone caged in like slaves to the system are the exact same walls that keep everyone from getting over.

It's fucking madness, y'all. Bring on the Elite.

5 hours ago, funkdoc said:

tbh activity fell off a cliff after the GWE voting and doesn’t seem to have recovered since

would put this down to the development of Wrestling Twitter and other such spaces.  the message board in general is a dying medium, aside from the occasional niche community such as board gaming (and even there, Discord is steadily taking over).

As it pertains to the GWE, I had the same thought. When that was finished, I think people were kind of burned out.

A PWO discord isn't a bad idea...

14 minutes ago, Coffey said:

As it pertains to the GWE, I had the same thought. When that was finished, I think people were kind of burned out.

A PWO discord isn't a bad idea...

I mean, I'm fine personally with the place being quieter but most of the posters being of the generally high knowledge and quality that we have as opposed to having more people but a less pleasant experience.

It was me, folks. I shooed people away with my political discourse.

But in all honesty, it feels like wrestling in general has been through a slump. We discussed WWE at length, and NJPW does have some fair share of big criticisms, and at the moment it is too early to know what AEW is going to be. It's a curious point were business-wise, wrestling is dope. Lots of good opportunities and big money to be made outside of the mainstream company, but it feels more and more as a niche product, and it already was for the longest time.

It's no wonder why interest in WWE is way down. Even setting aside all the issues with their presentation and storytelling that we've touched on before...

Too many of the guys on TV today seem like they learned to work in a Gymboree in front of a small circle of their friends and peers only, and it shows.

Nobody works the crowd. No attempts are made to engage the audience. Nobody even tries to establish any real connection. Nobody elicits a raw reaction. Nobody reaches to invoke any kind of actual human emotion.

It's all stringing together moves, like they're at the PC trying to pop their peers or impress the road agents with their "workrate" or some shit.

Everything looks & feels like it's being done SPECIFICALLY and ONLY for the sake of receiving a grade or a scorecard at the end.

NOTHING feels like a struggle or a fight. There is no urgency. There is no forethought put into what an individual would actually do in any setting. It's all just "hurry up and get to the next rematch."

Even worse, they mistakenly confuse all the pregnant pauses, the contrived facial expressions, and the terrible dinner theatre dialogue for "drama." And so that gets done to death.

On top of that, we're smack dab in the Gratitude Era - where any match that even has a small fraction of a chance in hell of feeling like something special is immediately undercut by a bunch of their enemies rushing out to pat them on the back, take a bow, or try ultra hard to come up the wittiest way to say, "Congratulations!" on social media.

It's pretty fucking awful at best, y'all.

4 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I was searching for reviews of the Bret vs Magee match in the "The Matches" section and didn't find anything. If that's not an indication PWO is in a downtime, I don't know what is.

We're more interested in Andre vs Blackwell?

4 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

It's pretty fucking awful at best, y'all.

This post was spot on I think. The athletic quality of wrestlers is extremely high right now, maybe the best I've ever saw in terms of overall roster and consistency. 

But they can't work for shit. There's no tension, no drama, and even the most basic promo feels no better than backyard shit. 

I would like AEW to give everything a big kick in the arse but i think realistically the problems are too deep with wwe to change it. 

I watched the shows maybe once a month now. Watched this week and tbh I'm not sure I could even name a memorable segment. 

Somethings got to change. 

(That said I am paying for the network so more fool me) 

This was quite the gem from the daily WO update:

There was a WWE talent meeting earlier today headed by Stephanie McMahon. It was mostly the same rah-rah type speech they do from time-to-time. The only thing notable is that they directly addressed AEW as their competition. They were pushing the WWE brand hard, the same social media and YouTube stats they always talk about with the idea of having 1 billion followers (adding every form of social media for every performer related to the company), and then said that they are having to compete with video games, movies, other streaming services as well as now AEW. In giving this speech, at no time have they ever mentioned a competing wrestling company.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, Mad Dog said:

It also hurts that the WWE is just hoarding talent they have no intention of using. So even companies like PWG are down because their top guys got poached so they can gather dust in the Performance Center. 

This has basically drained my current wrestling viewing to nil.  The last year or so of signings has pulled so many of the people I love to watch out of the indies.  I feel so glad now that I went to Mania 34 weekend and got to see so many shows.  I felt at the time that it might be the last Mania weekend of its kind and it sure looks like it was, at least until WWE hopefully has a bad quarter and fires everyone.