Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Double or Nothing

Ricky Jackson

I'm looking at AEW shirts this morning. WWE could learn a lot from these shirts. I want to buy like 6 of them. My wife even looked over my shoulder and wanted a couple. The shirts are great and I would wear a lot of these in public unlike what WWE usually produces.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WK12 vs. DoN, Omega/Jericho

WK12 was nuts and the best Omega match I've seen. Jericho really did bring Omega out of his element and controlled the flow, crafting a decent story out of a wily veteran and the new hotness. DoN felt like a cheap direct-to-video sequel to it where nobody involved was either working as hard or knew the right way to accentuate the through lines. For the first time, Jericho felt OLD, and Omega was fine following his lead.

23 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I'm looking at AEW shirts this morning. WWE could learn a lot from these shirts. I want to buy like 6 of them. My wife even looked over my shoulder and wanted a couple. The shirts are great and I would wear a lot of these in public unlike what WWE usually produces.

The logo ones are really good, as is MJF's, but I think the DoN specific shirts are lame and Mox's would be better without the "unscripted violence" tag. Just looks like a screamo band's bumper sticker.

3 minutes ago, Laz said:

The logo ones are really good, as is MJF's, but I think the DoN specific shirts are lame and Mox's would be better without the "unscripted violence" tag. Just looks like a screamo band's bumper sticker.

Event shirts never do much for me and I didn't like some of those. There were a couple that were okay but those more hand the show logo on it. My wife liked the Britt Baker one and the Sammy Guevara panda one. 

The Moxley shirt is just too busy to me. 

Jericho has looked old for at least five years, and I actually like him better now that he's steering into it. The worst version of him was the guy who tried to wrestle fast-paced counter-fu with more athletic guys in WWE. I'm not getting the criticism for the main event. As I said in the immediate aftermath, thought they established a competitive vibe by just drilling each other. They tried to walk the line between delivering a worthy show-closing title match (even though there was no belt on the line) and the first chapter in a longer story. The finish worked well from that standpoint. I'm not the biggest fan of either guy, but they held my interest throughout.  

I checked out out Cody/Dustin, and I'll add my voice to the chorus of praise it's been receiving. It was a textbook example of how blood can elevate the drama of a match. The opening minutes were nothing special, but it hit MOTYC territory after Dustin's gusher. The shot of blood pouring from his head like a faucet was literally Muta-esque. Cody did a good enough job of working over the cut, and Dustin's selling and hope spots took the match to another level. A lot of the spots and sequences will be familiar to those who've seen Dustin in WCW, but seeing them in today's landscape made them seem fresh and new. They probably overdid it with the nearfalls in the closing stretch, but I suppose that's unavoidable in this day and age. It's heartening to know that a match built around punches and blood can get over in front of an audience of Young Bucks fans. This'll be hard to beat for MOTY.

This show deserves a thumbs-up based on Cody/Dustin alone. I'll admit that the pre-show had me fearing the worst. Between the production gaffes, the gimmick match with excessively convoluted rules, and the cringey backstage "comedy," I was having TNA flashbacks. But they seemed to get it together for the main show. The matches mostly delivered, and they did a great job of subverting expectations and delivering surprises that weren't just swerves for their own sake. I'm excited for the future.

Cody/Dustin was incredible.  Even better than I expected.

Was a really good show for the most part.  I didn’t love Jericho/Omega, especially compared to their first match that I thought was great.  Liked the Best Friends match a lot and thought the show really took off after that match.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Cody did a good enough job of working over the cut, and Dustin's selling and hope spots took the match to another level. A lot of the spots and sequences will be familiar to those who've seen Dustin in WCW, but seeing them in today's landscape made them seem fresh and new. They probably overdid it with the nearfalls in the closing stretch, but I suppose that's unavoidable in this day and age.

You 100% don't want to watch the Young Bucks Vs. Lucha Bros. match then! Holy crap... I've never seen so many moves killed & mean nothing. Was probably my biggest complaint of the entire night, which other than the preshow, was mostly full of praise & gushing. 

I loved Dustin/Cody match that will be hard to top. Kinda excited to see their upcoming match with The Bucks. I think that will be a fun match to watch.

I enjoyed Bucks/Lucha Bros. Fenix is sweet to watch in the ring, and The Bucks are well the Bucks. I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy it. I don't really care either way if they do a ton of spots or not. I enjoyed this match though and their moves impressed the hell out of me.

I liked the Main Event thought it served it's purpose. I also did like Omega getting some offense in on Jon before the ending the show with Dirty Deeds. It's going to be fun seeing Jon not confined to the walls of PG and probably actually having a say in what he will do.

I think most people will find any flaw in anything. Nothing will ever be perfect for everybody. I have seen countless people on social media complain about the ppv about one thing or the other but the one fact remains they are still talking about it. AEW needs to keep this momentum going. This was a great start for it. The big question is how will they do weekly tv, and what stories will be told from that. It's what I am the most curious about. This PPV was a great start for a new promotion.

Jim Ross sounded amazing on commentary! So great to hear his voice again and they made it feel like a big deal which it should be! Also what a finisher The Smash Bros. have! I had to rewind to see that move like 5 times. Very Impressive!

This is going to be a fun ride for sure. I do want to say one thing was Booker T was trying to tell AEW that WWE could at anytime just let the dogs loose cause they have guys that can go but isn't that kinda what we want. I am not expecting AEW to take WWE out of business or anything of the sort but the fact remains is wrestling needs an alternative that is actually good and we might just have it. I enjoyed AEW basically telling WWE that they are here to compete which is fine by me. WWE hasn't been enjoyable in quite some time and hopefully seeing AEW or DoN will make them fix some things. Probably not but who knows!

I'm going to enjoy this ride though!

4 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I think people need to realize that this is the first time running a promotion of this size for everyone and there are going to be growing pains. I thought it was a super polished show considering it was a debut show for a new promotion. 

Yeah, if they are gonna make mistakes better make them now than during the TNT debut.

Commentary needs more polishing. Marvez sounded like he was doing a podcast, but it was better than I expected. JR and Excalibur could be really fucking good once they figure out who should be leading the call in any given match.

Best PPV ever. And I'm not even kidding. Ive been watching pro-wrestling for almost 30 years, and it's like they wrapped up everything I love now and have loved in the past (Aja, joshi puroresu in general, Bret, bloodletting) in a nice little package and swept it under my pillow. Yeah, there was a few mis-shots, but it's the very first show of a brand new company starting from scratch. Also, three MOTYC (Jericho vs Omega being the lesser one of the three, but still awesome) in a row. Marked the fuck out for Awesome Kong. Mox is their Lex Luger, and showing up at the end worked so much better than being in the Battle Royal, especially since by that point, no one was thinking about that eventuality. The Triple H trolling was glorious, Cody is fucking hostile. Brandi in high heels doing a better spear than most of the guys. Anyone checked Tony Schiavone on first row ? Aja still doesn't slap her tighs, she kicks you hard in the back. I missed you Aja. Yeah, this is everything I have missed from a major promotion, launched straight into the 2020's.

7 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

What I don't get with the whole Moxley WWE exit. They had to have known he was more than likely going to AEW. Why did they give him all that TV time and a Shield farewell tour as free advertising for this?

It reminds me of Rob Van Dam's first WWE exit. I remember reading that Stephanie McMahon was dead set on burying him on his way out because he refused to re-sign but Vince overruled her and made him look good, in hopes they'd be splitting in good terms and that RVD would come back down the road. I think it's the same approach they took with Moxley, thinking that he would focus on an acting career and take an in-ring sabbatical. I'm not sure that WWE was entirely expecting Moxley to sign a multi-year deal with AEW.

3 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

It reminds me of Rob Van Dam's first WWE exit. I remember reading that Stephanie McMahon was dead set on burying him on his way out because he refused to re-sign but Vince overruled her and made him look good, in hopes they'd be splitting in good terms and that RVD would come back down the road. I think it's the same approach they took with Moxley, thinking that he would focus on an acting career and take an in-ring sabbatical. I'm not sure that WWE was entirely expecting Moxley to sign a multi-year deal with AEW.

They'd be stupid to bury him anyway because a) it would piss off his pals and b) if he ever comes back he'll be a much bigger star for having been away.

3 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I guess I just don't get that. The second he said he wasn't staying I knew he was a done deal for AEW. If he hadn't gone WWE he would have been a Bullet Club guy. I guess I might have overestimated it but it just felt obvious he wanted out of WWE and he wanted to take his chances with the Elite guys. 

15 minutes ago, Herodes said:

Sounds like the best worker on the show by far was a guy who started wrestling in the 80s. Not a surprise.

For a supposed alternative there seem to be very few black wrestlers especially anywhere near the top of the card. 

I agree with the sentiment, but who's out there, who's a free agent who can be pushed to the top of the card? Maybe they just haven't done a good job recruiting, but I can't name anyone who fits what you looking for.

The only next black breakout superstar I can name is Velveteen dream and he's signed to the WWE.

But 100% they need to find and push some black wrestling superstar's, but you need to find them first.

Obviously black wrestlers haven't been treated fairly or pushed over the years, which means if your black and a good athlete wrestling probably not going to be your first carrier choice. 

Hopefully that's going to change and more high level wrestlers will come along, but they just not many out there at the moment who are not already under contract.