Pro Wrestling Only

The Official Seth Rollins is Terrible Thread

KawadaSmile

I've always thought he was the weakest and least interesting of the three Shield guys. I do like him in tag matches and he'd excel at that, but I don't think he's anywhere near to top guy material and never has been. He might be one of the worst promos to hold the title ever. Even Jinder could get some inflection out of his voice. I didn't like the promo on Monday either. That was a easy lob for the alley oop and Seth missed it. Bandaged up injured babyface giving a defiant promo to the heel after a beatdown should always get a big reaction, but Seth was getting the what chants and not a lot of pops as he flatly said his lines in a monotone voice. I'm hoping Brock wins the belt and Seth gets shipped down the card a bit to the Upper Midcard level or in a tag team which is where he's at his best.

There are at least 15 guys, I'd prefer in this role to Seth. Maybe more. I was never a huge Balor fan, but they really should've went with him at WM over Seth. The Rumble match with Brock was very good and heated and they could've played on how he pushed Brock to the limit without having to be The Demon. Then they do The Beast vs The Demon at WM.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ButchReedMark said:

Id rather shit in my hands and clap than sit through Rollins. I dunno what it is but I've never had time for him. If he was wrestling or, god forbid, talking in my garden I'd shut the window and close the curtains. 

I cannot tell you how much I love this post.  

Rollins deserves a threadroast because of the Twitter drama and ESPN interview. Roman did not make a personal attack on Jon in his interview. Yes, Seth is a company spokesman and a stooge now, and so would anyone else in that position. But he seems to take glee in it to score points with Trips and Vinnie. But we have the right to moan about it. When Flair would schill for Jim Crockett Promotions and the NWA to start his promos, he was right- he and his league had the best action. When Seth does it, it rings hollow.

I have not seen his Tyler Black work enough to comment on it, but his Shield stuff was great. He was like the Jeff Hardy (stylewise) of the bunch and they had a legendary run together.

Any issue with his push is all on WWE creative. This was the first site I have seen where no one was buying his in-ring work. But his first feud with Dean was great, and his Cena/Brock stuff holds up. He had a stretch where he was the MVP of a bunch of WWE PPVs in a row (around his Miz feud). Faint praise? Perhaps, but in the WWE bubble, that makes him Shawn Michaels. He's been lackluster this year though and I see no signs of improvement.

His best role would be upper midcard and have the best match on the PPV with no pressure of acting like a chamo, but heaven help me I have no idea if it is as a face or heel. And that is on him because of his moves and psychology, which are babyface but he looks and acts like a heel. So he pretty much capped himself as never being a megastar.

As far as him being The Man, he is confident, ambitious, and a risk taker, but his voice and character just aren't there if he's trying to be a Ric Flair-type.

What is he? Who is he? What does he stand for? Yes, many WWE stars are like this now. He comes off like The Franchise Shane Douglas, who never drew anyway. Gets tiring, especially if you can't back it up.

The Becky angle (since dropped I guess) had the potential to ruin both permanently. Not their fault entirely, but it does show that Seth has poor acting skills. Randy Savage kept up his act and was able to work with Liz even when things fell apart in real life, and here is Seth who is in the prime of their relationship and he still sucked.

Everyone has heard my thoughts on Seth as a worker in the ring. The guy doesn't comprehend the importance of connecting with a crowd, controlling a crowd, or even playing to reactions. He carries zero weight on the emotional spectrum and fails to establish any sort of relationship with anyone.

He isn't skilled enough to elicit sympathy when he's cast as a babyface. He isn't smart enough to tone down his athleticism and agility enough to be a proper heel. And so he sucks in both situations. There is no ideal spot for him, because he just plain sucks. The closest he comes is when he's slotted into a tag team or an opening act cruiserweight situation.

But when you start trying to hammer him into a main event role, you REALLY notice the faults & the flaws - again, of which there are many.

The guy can't convey or speak and command anyone's attention. He isn't witty enough to crack wise. He isn't eloquent enough to sound engaging. He isn't charismatic enough to rise above any of that stuff. Hell, the dude just looks dumb. Like, Von Erich dumb.

And he never comes across as natural or organic. Seth ALWAYS looks like he's being led through interviews and promos, beat by beat and note by note.

It isn't enough that he's booked and presented like a puppet - but you practically see the strings in every move he makes & every word he mutters.

Compare him to even comedy guys like Shane Helms of the past, and Helms blows away Rollins in every single category. Seth would never be able to hold his own in a live environment with a Rock, Austin, or Jericho the way Helms could.

I was going to go as far as to say that running Seth on top in the main event for 2019 is the equivalent of running Hurricane Helms on top in 2003, but fuck. That would be an insult to Helms, because the dude was WAY more over than Seth has even approached since the Shield split.

Running Seth on top right now is like running Val Venis in the main event for SummerSlam. He's a guy wrestling people may know and react to, but holy shit. Just no.

Seth is just there. He's incapable of being a convincing heel. He's incapable of being a convincing babyface. He's incapable of delivering a believable, natural promo. He's simply INCAPABLE.

And that's the exact opposite of what you want in ANY main event act.

When Bruce Prichard goes on and on about "attractions" and spectacles, what he's trying to convey and describe is the exact opposite of Seth Rollins. He's the unattraction.

He really fucking sucks, y'all.

So let's all agree that Seth can't tell a story in the ring or connect with audiences or emote convincingly. But where does that leave us? Who in WWE can do all those things? Or even most of them? Which brings me back to the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. All the Rollins-bashing seems to be predicated on the notion that there's a superior alternative WWE can turn to. But there's no savior on the horizon. It's geeks all the way down.

3 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

So let's all agree that Seth can't tell a story in the ring or connect with audiences or emote convincingly. But where does that leave us? Who in WWE can do all those things? Or even most of them? Which brings me back to the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. All the Rollins-bashing seems to be predicated on the notion that there's a superior alternative WWE can turn to. But there's no savior on the horizon. It's geeks all the way down.

They could always go back to Bryan, but his heel run from what I've heard has been going very well. And A.J. seems to be in the twilight of his career (also currently a heel). 

As much as I've never been a fan of Finn because I don't find him particularly interesting or all that great, he's always seemed to be really over with fans and was a proven draw in NXT. They've never really given him a chance.

Bryan is better by far. He's far removed from the potential of his 2013-2014 peak popularity, but he's still awesome in every category.

AJ isn't the most exciting answer, but he can do it all. He's not going to turn business around or spike numbers, but no one is anytime soon.

Finn is at least a competent in-ring babyface.

There's this guy they've continuously fucked up that should've been the ace back in 2015/16 by the name of Roman Reigns. Again, he won't shift planets or move the moon & stars, but he's much fucking better suited for the role than Seth. At least he's capable of looking and functioning like a proper headliner.

They've got their work cut out for them if they ever decide to create a new star. Nobody feels like they're even approaching that territory these days.

Business is fine, because they're safely buouyed by the right's fees and a reliable fan base. But fuck. Buzz and excitemenet levels are at 0.

My nephew has been a wrestling fan his entire life. At age eleven, he has already decided it's uncool and embarrassing to watch. WWE feels like it's at 1995 levels of lame these days.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

The saviour is Goldberg. I'm all in as a mark for him now.

Tonight's match was a microcosm of why it's hard to get behind Rollins. 

Brock was a step away from pulling a Zack Gowen on Rollins a couple of weeks ago. Busted ribs, F-5s onto gurneys. Rollins comes hobbling in last week like a CrossFit Jiminy Cricket, using a chair as a crutch. He's so pathetic, Brock takes no joy in beating him again because he's basically dead meat. 

Tonight, Brock flings Rollins around like a rag doll. Swings him by his bandages, more throwing him into ring posts. Rollins should be crying while he breathes from all the abuse he's taken.

But in fashion typical for him, he no-sells it! Running around, splashes into tables from 10 feet away, leaps and jumps galore.

What was the point of Brock nearly crushing Rollins if he wasn't going to bother selling it properly?

It's why he's such a bad babyface. He does nothing to maintain the sympathy he gets from situations like this. We're supposed to feel like the face overcame all odds to stand tall, but Rollins' lack of nuance robs us of that chance. 

He needs too much foundation to be laid for him in order to make him look remotely like a main event star. I think he's good enough to be a top-tier guy, but not THE guy. And with what feels like a lack of quality heels on RAW, I don't feel good about this reign, either.

Rollins in this capacity does nothing for me.

40 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It's why he's such a bad babyface. He does nothing to maintain the sympathy he gets from situations like this. We're supposed to feel like the face overcame all odds to stand tall, but Rollins' lack of nuance robs us of that chance. 

It's this same trait ironically enough that makes him a great tag team wrestler. His partner can take a beating and do all the selling, and he's the perfect hot tag guy that gets all his shit in. 

13 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Big E can do all of those things. It kind of shocks me they haven't given him a run with the belt. 

Seth's selling was fine. The only moves he performed that directly impacted his ribs were the frog splashes. Both times, he registered that he was in severe pain and had to take some time to collect himself before going back on offense. If a rib injury requires you to spend the match curled up in a fetal position, no wrestler in history has ever sold ribs correctly. As for Big E, he's like Bryan in that he can show personality and be entertaining because he's an upper-midcard comedy act. If he ever got a serious main event push, everything authentic about him would be scrubbed away.

5 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

As for Big E, he's like Bryan in that he can show personality and be entertaining because he's an upper-midcard comedy act. If he ever got a serious main event push, everything authentic about him would be scrubbed away.

I disagree. Big E was a very good ace champ for NXT, but he didn't really have the charisma nor the mic skills he's got right now. He is able to be a goof as well as he's able to be serious, as he's shown in the past couple of years.

Hell, Kofi himself wasn't stripped away of any of his New Day characteristics, and he's still doing great. He still feels like Kofi, and he's getting a legit strong title run.

4 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Big E can do all of those things. It kind of shocks me they haven't given him a run with the belt. 

Big E was the name I thought of too that I was going to suggest. It would also be something new & different. He would just have to get away from some of the comedy stuff. 

Also Roman Reigns is better than Seth Rollins in every way.