Pro Wrestling Only

The Jim Ross Is A Grouchy Hateful Vile Human Being thread

Loss

Lordy... a 19 year old kid with a high school degree with no credentials being a teacher, even as a sub, as being acceptable in states? What a fucking embarrassment.

Welcome to our modern education system. And yet some politicians have the nerve to complain that the reason our classrooms suck is because we pay our qualified and competent teachers too much money.

Preach it.

John

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the teacher's union.

Their power has always been overstated. If they actually had the irresistible Rasputin-like influence over the government which their opponents claim, then teachers would be paid and treated a hell of a lot better, and not constantly under the thumb of admins and school boards like they always are.

Lordy... a 19 year old kid with a high school degree with no credentials being a teacher, even as a sub, as being acceptable in states? What a fucking embarrassment.

John

As someone who has been getting the run around from the state of Pennsylvania for the better part of two months now as they keep finding reasons to delay my teaching certification (and in some cases not even telling me what those reasons are!), knowing this happens makes my brain hurt.

Yeah. My mother is a teacher with excellent academic credentials and an impeccable employment record, and currently she's working a part-time gig as a tutor in between her shifts at fucking Walmart. Nobody will hire her, partly because she's too old and experienced and every school just wants the cheapest teachers they can hire. And she's also been repeatedly fucked over by the background tests; I can't begin to count the number of times she's been fingerprinted for these jobs, it's literally dozens if not hundreds of times. Meanwhile, not a week goes by where you don't seem to hear of some scandal about a teacher molesting his students and it turns out that they just forgot to do the background check or otherwise missed the fact that he's a proven sexual predator.

What state are you/is she in that you have to be fingerprinted with every teaching app? Here in PA, you just have to be fingerprinted once a year, and that counts for any application you put in.

I'm trying to find a way to blame JR for all of this (you know, the fall of the educational system), just so we can bring the conversation full circle.

What state are you/is she in that you have to be fingerprinted with every teaching app? Here in PA, you just have to be fingerprinted once a year, and that counts for any application you put in.

Texas. It's not literally for every application, but essentially every time she gets hired anywhere, regardless if she's just been fingerprinted yesterday for a different job.

Texas. It's not literally for every application, but essentially every time she gets hired anywhere, regardless if she's just been fingerprinted yesterday for a different job.

Ah, Texas, the same state that has a history curriculum in which certain politicians decided they know more about the Founding Fathers' religious beliefs than anybody else does.

Hey, if we are turning this into a discussion about the education system, may as well keep it going.

Back at Backlash 2000, when Pat Patterson trots out to the ring in a referee shirt during the main event, Ross howls, "The parade must be over, Patterson's here."

I always thought that was pretty mean.

Jerry Lawler seemed genuinely surprised, yelling "WHAAAT???!!"

Back at Backlash 2000, when Pat Patterson trots out to the ring in a referee shirt during the main event, Ross howls, "The parade must be over, Patterson's here."

I always thought that was pretty mean.

Jerry Lawler seemed genuinely surprised, yelling "WHAAAT???!!"

They made lots of *wink wink* jokes about Patterson's sexuality, it wasn't just during commentary. I don't think that was Ross going off script, and I have to think Patterson was ok with it.

Ross seemed to do it more often than the other announcers; though the whole industry is so homophobic that it 's hard to call this out as being unusual. As for Patterson being okay with it, when has Vince ever given a shit if the victims of on-camera ribbing and mockery in the WWE are okay with their torment or not?

The year Ross wasn't a grumpy hateful piece of shit at the Hall of Fame tryouts session. He even had a lot of good things to say about some of the guys. And I stole an empty bag of Senor J.R.'s Mexicana Style Beef Jerky that he walked away from. Gonna try to clone him.

• 5 months later...

I had my moment in the ring in MSG many years ago against HHH in the final segment of Monday Night Raw. I can always pull an old timer quote out of my black hat and say, "Yeah, I closed the show, sold out by the way, in the main event in 'The Garden,' got bloodied up and still got my hand raised. (Thanks to Batista. ) I will freely admit that night was the most apprehensive evening of my career as a talent on any level. I was in foreign territory, the ring, in the World's Most Famous Arena against a future Hall of Fame talent who had the challenge of not killing his in ring persona or me. Thanks to the abundant talent of HHH neither issue occurred.

Didn't HHH potato the shit out of JR in that match?

Anyway, the amusing thing about the wink-wink commentary is that they go out of their way to avoid stating that kind of thing directly. In the Austin/Dude Love match at Over the Edge, when special guest ring announcer Pat Patterson plugs the Brisco Brothers Body Shop, JR says "And we know who does the rear ends." But when the match starts and the crowd starts chanting "Vince is gay," JR tries to pass it off as "Vince is dead."

I had my moment in the ring in MSG many years ago against HHH in the final segment of Monday Night Raw. I can always pull an old timer quote out of my black hat and say, "Yeah, I closed the show, sold out by the way, in the main event in 'The Garden,' got bloodied up and still got my hand raised. (Thanks to Batista. ) I will freely admit that night was the most apprehensive evening of my career as a talent on any level. I was in foreign territory, the ring, in the World's Most Famous Arena against a future Hall of Fame talent who had the challenge of not killing his in ring persona or me. Thanks to the abundant talent of HHH neither issue occurred.

Yes.

Wow that is about as sad, suck up carny as you can get right there. I'm pretty sure that Meltzer said that JR's eye was so bad after HHH punched him right in it that JR still, years later, can't drive at night. Driving at night seems like a pretty important thing for a wrestler. So HHH permanently maims him, and all JR can do years later is talk about how well good ol' H took care of good ol' JR. So pathetic.

I agree that that is terribly pathetic. I wasn't aware of the match until Sek shared it with me and I was pretty repulsed by what I saw, knowing how JR has consistently kissed Triple H's ass ever since.

It was amateurish and petty and would make me uncomfortable knowing that Hunter is considered very strongly to be the chief of the promotion soon. Vince McMahon has had his petty grievances with performers and usually exorcised them with embarrassing personae or losses but I don't recall him actively trying to injure someone he had a dispute with.

Hunter and Ross would probably just laugh it off and say that it's how it's always been done in wrestling. I say fuck that, you're a publicly-traded multi-million dollar company and need to start behaving like it.

• 3 months later...

@ColtCabana

What A Fuckin' Picture!... @Willie_Mack & @JRsBBQ pic.twitter.com/Vm8P0E6WbB

Posted Image

@RJPennyweather

@ColtCabana @Willie_Mack @JRsBBQ Damn JR, show a little emotion.

@JRsBBQ

“@RJPennyweather: @ColtCabana @Willie_Mack @JRsBBQ Damn JR, show a little emotion.”

I have facial paralysis. Never been short on emotion.

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting to me how thoroughly they retooled things for Ross in 93-early 94. I hadn't realized that the opening to Wrestling Challenge was as centered around him as Superstars' opening had been centered around the Ultimate Warrior's entrance in 90-91.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nell Santucci

I was listening to Meltzer and Alvarez' podcast with Bob Holly. Meltzer asked Holly about the Brawl for All situation and politics. Holly claims that Tiger Ali Singh was insistent that he'd win the Brawl for All and then withdrew from the tournament suddenly, joking that maybe he snubbed his toe on a blade of grass. So Holly was put in as a replacement at the insistence of Bradshaw. Whatever the case, Jim Ross was bragging and taunting the boys for weeks that Dr. Death Steve Williams would beat them all and win the Brawl for All. Bart Gunn was telling others that he'd knock out Steve Williams and insisted that he would. Well, come the fight, he KOs Dr. Death. The undercard popped loudly, and Jim Ross was livid. Besides the money lost (Williams had already been paid for being the winner of the Brawl for All), Ross felt humilated. So Gunn was practically pulled from touring (I remember cross-referencing all house shows, and I think Bart might have had one match) and was pitted against Butterbean who knocked him out at Wrestlemania. So yeah, Ross is a grouchy, hateful, vile human being.

I actually like JR, and in fact don't take this thread very seriously, but Bob's Observer interview was quite the eye opener. Not only is his Brawl for All explanation for Dave tremendously embarrassing for JR, but his admission that JR would request ass-whipping in the gorilla position was pretty damning. And although I would guess that is a practice that has been done forever in the business, its pretty stirring to have I said outright in public.

I would recommend the Bob Holly interview to everyone. Seriously, one of the best they've ever done and one that might endear you to the guy. He comes off incredibly likeable and even vulnerable, especially in mentioning that he always wanted to speak to Dave so that he would get to know the real Bob Holly since he always thought Dave didn't like him.

I was listening to Meltzer and Alvarez' podcast with Bob Holly. Meltzer asked Holly about the Brawl for All situation and politics. Holly claims that Tiger Ali Singh was insistent that he'd win the Brawl for All and then withdrew from the tournament suddenly, joking that maybe he snubbed his toe on a blade of grass. So Holly was put in as a replacement at the insistence of Bradshaw. Whatever the case, Jim Ross was bragging and taunting the boys for weeks that Dr. Death Steve Williams would beat them all and win the Brawl for All. Bart Gunn was telling others that he'd knock out Steve Williams and insisted that he would. Well, come the fight, he KOs Dr. Death. The undercard popped loudly, and Jim Ross was livid. Besides the money lost (Williams had already been paid for being the winner of the Brawl for All), Ross felt humilated. So Gunn was practically pulled from touring (I remember cross-referencing all house shows, and I think Bart might have had one match) and was pitted against Butterbean who knocked him out at Wrestlemania. So yeah, Ross is a grouchy, hateful, vile human being.

You know what, I'm exactly at the point in my WCW watch when Oklahoma will show up. And although I still thinks it was a really petty move, really it wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things considering what JR agreed to let his co-workers do to him in term of humiliation. And when reading stuff like this, well, I guess making fun of Good ol' JR really was warranted.

Except that Oklahoma mostly mocked his Bell's Palsy and the BBQ thing that most of the public didn't know about, rather than having him be a pretend-babyface manipulator.

Hum... not exactly what I just saw. Ferrara was doing the Bell's Palsy face because it was JR's face, but the entire act was all about mocking JR's annoucing gimmicks like talking about college sports, screaming stuff three times in a row, using words like sloberknockers and stuff like this (plus some more "insider stuff" like saying to Schiavone "The A-team is taking over"). I believe the BBQ sauce was being promoted by WWF at the time too. So yeah, the Bell's Palsy face was not pretty, but when you're doing an impersonation it goes with the territory.